Shelter Insurance / Failure to accept resposibility for claim

United States, Tennessee Review updated:
Shelter Insurance
I was hit buy a 16 year old kid who had his drivers license for all of about 6 days. He was drag racing with another guy and was traveling at speeds well over 10o mph. He came accross 2 lanes of trafic and slamed into my vehicle. The police report shows that he was moving at a high rate of speed and he was charged with Felony Reckless driving. There were 8 witnesses that viewed the accident and they all say that he was at fault and he was speeding. Now shelter is trying to deny responsibility and I am with out a vehicle and have medical bills out the rear end. Now I have to file suit and am planing to take them to the bank, and when I am done getting every thing out of the insurance company I am planing on sueing the pants off of the parents of the kid for letting an iresponsible punk drive there vehicle and act like an idiot. All they needed to do was fix my truck and pay my medical bills.

A  15th of May, 2009 by
Last week I was hit by a 21 year girl who turned out to be drunk, driving on a suspended license etc. The father wanted to pay it outright but we just wanted to go through their insurance to make sure everythign was done correctly. Well Shelter is claiming that the girl did not have permission to drive (her parents) vehicle and so they will not be covering our damages.
N  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
Regarding the first complaint above...why are they denying responsibility? You did not explain. Something doesn't sound right.

Regarding the second comment...is it possible that the parents had the daughter excluded on the policy? You can have a child excluded from your policy if, for example, they are away at college without a car. Many parents do this to save money. If this was the case and the daughter came home from college...and she was still excluded (parents didn't inform insurance company), then Shelter Insurance would NOT be responsible. If this was the case, then you would have no option but to go after the parents.
N  25th of Jun, 2011 by
Johnboy1776... you read my mind on both situations. I am curious how the first complaint ended... Did she get the pants sued off? :)

Shelter Insurance Logo Shelter Insurance