Shelter Insurance / Not good Insurance

1 MS, United States Review updated:

10 years with Shelter Insurance, 2 claims ever, including this one. Brand new nissan maxima 2010. Bent my rim when I hit something unavoidable in the road. Shelters fix for this was to put a refurb rim on my brand new car. We're not even talking an aftermarket rim (which would have been fine) They want to put a damaged, then repaired rim on my car. This is wrong on so many levels!! The fine print on the refurbs states after a rim is on a car, if something goes wrong with that rim, the lifetime warranty is void! Needless to say- we are pulling our insurance with them.

Ga

Comments

• In
      25th of Jun, 2011

I have to disagree. I can't imagine an insurance company putting an unsafe part on a vehicle. They would not take the liability of putting an unsafe part on a vehicle. Most the time refurbished parts are parts that were on a previous vehicle but were never damaged. Refurbishing can mean many things like shined, brightened, or reused. People for many years have gone to salvage yards and purchased parts off of wrecked vehicles. The parts they purchase are factory built parts that are identical to the parts they have on their vehicles. I don't see a problem with using refurbished parts because they are still safe, "factory" made, and look the same. Also, most insurance companies will let you order what ever part you want to use, but you will have to pay the difference of the part you select, and the part they are offering you. If you want aftermarket parts put on your vehicle, then pay the difference.
    My family has had several claims with Shelter Insurance and have always been very pleased. The adjusters have always contacted us with 24 hours, and several times they looked at our wrecked vehicles within 2 days. We had a couple situations where refurbished or aftermarket parts were put on our vehicles and the parts did not match up exactly. As soon as the adjuster saw the difference they talked with the body shops and told them to fix our vehicle correctly. I personally believe Shelter insurance is one of the best insurance companies on the market!