ServPro / Negligence
10 March 2010
PO Box 1978
Gallatin, TN 37066
From: Rocco Anthony Pedatella
4 Far Hill Lane
Pleasantville, NY 10570
Re: Liberty Mutual Claim#[protected]-01. Remediation by ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining
9 South Broad Street, Peekskill, NY [protected]
On returning home from a trip in early January 2010, I found that an attic pipe had frozen and burst, causing damage not only in the attic, but also on the second floor, the first floor and the basement of my home.
The morning after my return, I contacted Liberty Mutual, which in turn contacted ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining to provide remediation services. While ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining was at my home providing remediation, a concatenation of incidents occurred, involving negligence by ServPro to my personal property. Said incidents would never have happened if ServPro had exercised a modicum of necessary care and due diligence.
Said incidents are as follows:
1) One of ServPro’s workers negligently slid the backside of a picture frame, hook and all, across an extremely valuable piece of furniture, causing a hairline scratch and bruise to the table, which I had only had for a month. Said table cost $3, 620.00. A bill of sale was provided to ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining. All four of ServPro’s workers denied responsibility. One of them is a liar. Said scratch and bruise were addressed by a furniture repairman, who was able to remove the hairline scratch and somewhat repair the bruise. I was not happy because I was “not made whole”, but accepted the remedy.
2) As if the damage to the first item were not enough, I discovered that another picture frame had been slid, again backside, hook and all, across the surface of another piece of furniture, more than likely by the same individual who had marred the surface of the first piece. Again, as before, all four workers denied culpability. Again, as before, one of them, probably the original culprit, is a liar. This piece was more satisfactorily repaired.
3) Before the hard wood flooring, which had curled, could be removed, furniture had to be moved. Two large Display Units, which weigh 250lbs each, along with at least another 150lbs pounds of books and glass and crystal objects in each unit, were pushed and pulled along the floor. Unfortunately, in so doing, the stress and strain of all the pushing and pulling damaged the back panels of the units. Instead of asking me to lighten the load, so to speak, by removing all the glass and crystal objects, and heavy art books, the workers, by pushing and pulling, abused the Display Units. ServPro’s remedy is to provide me with a nominal sum to hire someone to replace the back panels of the Display Units. This remedy places the burden upon me, and not on ServPro, where it belongs.
4) As mentioned when the ServPro crew began to remove the hard wood flooring, which had curled, they also negligently damaged the surface of a loudspeaker, which was at the side of the fireplace. They then covered the damaged speaker with some plastic sheeting and I only discovered the damage when I removed the plastic cover to move the speaker to another room to protect it. The high gloss finish of this speaker is ruined and irreparable. I provided ServPro’s owner with a bill of sale, indicating replacement cost. He has, however, refused to remedy his work crew’s negligence, stating that I cannot prove who caused the damage to the loud speaker. Obviously, I was not hovering over his work crew and cannot say who was responsible for damaging the loud speaker. All I know is that when the ServPro crew arrived, the loud speaker was in brand new, pristine condition. Now, it is not. And I am left with an esthetically damaged speaker. This failure of ServPro to remedy or replace is quite outrageous.
What an experience this has been! Insult upon injury. The calamity that befell me was bad enough. But then to have all this negligence to boot was just too much. And then to only remedy one act of negligence, partially remedy another, provide promised (not yet received) rudimentary help with a third, and categorically refuse a fourth is salt on an open wound. I am livid and outraged.
The homeowner who discovers damage caused by worker negligence, but does not actually see the malefactors behaving negligently, is at a distinct disadvantage when he is asked, as I was, to prove it. How can such proof be offered? It is impossible. Anyone walking through the front door of my house could see that my personal property was very well maintained. That given, a degree of good faith by ServPro in what was being said was necessary, something which was totally lacking in the present circumstance, where everything was either denied or subsequently challenged. What a nightmare!
This experience has been insulting and bitter. In the future, if, heaven forbid, such a calamity were to ever befall me again, I would never call upon ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining for remediation. It is simply not a trustworthy enough company to act with the necessary care and due diligence. And I shall so inform all my friends and acquaintances. Indeed, I shall also forward a copy of this letter of complaint to the Better Business Bureau.
AN ACKNOWLEDGMENT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.
Enclosed also find copies of the bills of sale for the two items which have not been satisfactorily addressed by ServPro of Peekskill/Ossining.
Cc John Mangini, Supervisor
Homeowners Claims Department
Montgomeryville, PA [protected]
Cc Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
112 East Post Road
White Plains, New York 10601
Cc BBB of Metropolitan New York
30 East 33rd Street, 12th Floor
New York, New York 10016
More ServPro Complaints & Reviews
- ServPro - Awful company 
- ServPro - Be careful 
- ServPro - Buyer beware 
- ServPro - overcharging and theft-fraud
- ServPro - Avoid them like a plague
- ServPro - Worst Experiance Ever! 
- ServPro - After they finished their job out carpet smelled worse then before 
- Servpro Of Bellaire - Extremely unprofessional 
- Servpro Of Bluffton - Very Dissatisfied 
- ServPro - Over charging and removal of unauthorized items