[Resolved] Select Care Benefits Network / scam

I applied to SCBN on the internet and was denied because I had insurance. The next day, Jim Moran of SCBN called me and after finding out that I had minimal prescription coverage (but some! which is supposed to disqualify me) he convinced me to give him my credit card information and join. The next day I received a long email which informed me that I would have to go to my doctor's office to pick up my medicines. Since my doctors are a three hour round trip away, I called to cancel.

I found out that my credit card had already been charged a $50 membership fee and $60 monthly fee for prescriptions and that it was up to the Board of Directors whether I would get a full refund. I was told to explain everything to the BofD through their website's support center, which I did. Then I got another long email telling me I had to return all 'forms or work product' to them — which I haven't received — in 30 days, and provide written documentation that I was ineligible — in 15 days. They didn't provide an address so I called and was given a PO Box.

They gave me examples of ineligibility: a letter from my insurance company, proof of increase in income, a drug company's letter informing me that my appeal was denied, a letter from my doctor saying that my medications had been discontinued.

All this and I haven't even signed any agreements! I have made many phone calls about this to them and never get any clear answers. I called my insurance company and they are going to send me a letter saying that I have prescription coverage, but will I get it to SCBN in 15 days? I have a really bad feeling about them.

• Resolution statement

• Dear Roberto,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have spent some time going over your case with our Advocate Team, and I think that you will find the resolution to meet your expectations.

SCBN assists people on a fixed income and usually without prescription coverage to obtain their medications from Patient Assistance Programs. If you have prescription coverage and show proof of this from the time you signed up you may be eligible for a full refund, as long as the programs you wanted medications from do not allow prescription coverage.

We do regret the experience that you had when you were a member. Please fax your letter from the insurance company toll free to 877-304-5719 so that we can speed the process.

Sincerely,

www.SCBN.org

Ro

Comments

29th of Jun, 2009

Brad williams lies! he told me.. I wouldnt get a dime. I am on ssi.. and medicaid... and he still told me.. he didnt care.. he said.. I had been cancelled back in november of 2008.. since they had never.. and I mean never heard from me after the first conversation... which by the way was in 2007... but they were still taking money out of my account in jan of 2009..$1125.00. I wont get my money back.. but please anyone reading this... dont call them! they are trained well and take advantage of the poor. the rich doesnt need free prescriptions. they know it and will promise anything to get you hooked! anyone want to write me.. jimslady55@yahoo.com... I wish somehow we could bring a civil suit against these two companies.. yes two! both are rated f with the bbb in austin texas!

9th of Jul, 2009

Marcybgood,
    From reading everything above, it looks to me like you joined a monthly membership organization and you pay membership dues and they offer services to assist you in getting your medications. Why did you not call to stop the monthly charges sooner if you were not using the services? It’s like you ‘forgot’ about everything for more than a year? Membership companies like gyms, tanning salons, insurance premiums and discount plans charge monthly fees. They keep charging you until you cancel and they never refund people if they didn’t use the services because they didn’t want to or forgot about them. What took you so long?

Johnathan Tark
    Baltimore, Maryland

• Se
      10th of Jul, 2009

That's correct Johnathan. We are a membership service of patient advocates that assist people with getting drugs from the Patient Assistance Programs. If Marcybgood had used her membership she would have received her medications and recognized great savings in her time as a member. It is unfortunate that she chose not to use her membership and she admits that she did exactly that above. Marcella also complained to the Better Business Bureau and Select Care even offered mediation through the Better Business Bureau to sit down and talk about her membership, but she has declined for the last 6 months to take us up on our offer.

We would still like to assist Marcela with the programs and help her receive prescriptions as she originally signed up to do. Select Care can only assist her if she chooses to use her membership and Select Care will even offer to give her husband and herself six free months of membership if they would actually like the assistance they signed up for.

Sincerely,

Brad Williams
    SCBN Customer Care Manager
    512-406-5057
    Brad_Williams@SCBN.org

• Ca
      3rd of Jul, 2010

I am in the same situation as many of the poeple that have been scammed. why prey on people who need meds. money taken from my bank account before I sent in paper work. I had a funny feeling about them. to good to be true.80.00 dollars up front for what. then 30.00 taken out of my account and no paper work completed or sent in by me. my daughter said mom you need your meds send in your paper work. glad I didnot and also cancelled bank account. my instincts were right I may have lost my 80.00 dollars but they will not get anything else from me. why do they need the packet back I have very personal info and I don't want these crooks to get their dirty hands on. look before you leap. if I had seen these complains before I lost my 80.00 dollars!!!

22nd of May, 2011

I just recently tried to go thru a PAP program to get assistance with my meds., but was rejected...within minutes I received an email from SCBN, who welcomed me to their club...this was unsolicited...They were helpful in completing my applicatiions and mailed them to me...but when they refused to provide a physical address I became suspicious and check this site...Now they have already charged my account the $50 app. fee and the first month of drugs cost/ $60...on my card...now my request for assistance from these companies has not been approved yet and I have not sent in the packet...I just hope I get my $ back...can't afford to lose money when I don't have a job... So, whoever is reading this please cancel your credit card and for God's sake do not give out your bank account # to these people...They're very good at convincing you they are sincere, but again like many of these fradulent low cost health care companies, they are out to take advantage of people...I live in Florida and have dealt with this before...I should know to check this site before I do anything...Let's get these guys...It's a shame for people to take advantage when times are so tough...

• De
      18th of Jan, 2016

Take money, but no product. Wants to much information -Also too much personal information. Don't understand why they need or want so much information. It's harder getting drugs from this company then buying I home. So I can see why there are so many complaints with this company. They want us together. But they don't want to give. They're not worried about our health or our conditions . They don't care that we are now depended on these drugs for our sustaining of life. Sorry there's nobody else out there that can help as people who are on low income who desperately needs help with the cost of medications.