[Resolved] Sears Craftsmandangerously flawed customer service

J

A few weeks ago, my new father-in-law graciously gave me his Craftsman 6.75 Lawn mower to help manage my new lawn. The mower was shed-kept, and stored 2 seasons ago. While it looked to be in great condition, and he assured me it would fire up right away, it would not initially start for me so I took it into the Sears repair facility in Springfield. I was informed they were running a “special” on tune-ups ($40.00). I explained that it likely needed some cleaning and a spark plug etc., and asked if they would install a new blade as well.
I received a call a week later stating the estimate was $135.00 and it would be ready for pick-up on or before the 12th. A few days later I received a second message stating the estimate was now $385.00 – for a lawnmower that costs $369.00 right off the show-room floor!(?)
I declined the estimate, and being a life-long devotee to Craftsman equipment and tools, bought a new craftsman 6.75 mower from the local Sears. I picked up the ‘un-repairable’ mower and brought it home. I’m new to my neighborhood, but I noticed that my next-door neighbor seemed to be working on mowers or weed-eaters often. I called him over and explained that the mower was likely shot, but gave it to him to use for parts and went about cutting my grass with my new mower. 15 minutes later, my neighbor rolls my “un-repairable” mower back over and it’s running like a top. He explains that the fuel line was simply clogged and demonstrates how it starts on the first pull every time. He insisted I take the lawn mower back and would not accept compensation for the effort.
Now, all of my colleagues at work strongly suggested that I register a complaint with Sears regarding this matter. I balked at this suggestion and decided I would store the new mower and use the old one. LAST EVENING, WHILE CUTTING MY FRONT LAWN, THE NEW BLADE (THE ONLY PORTION OF MY ORIGINAL REQUEST FOR SERVICE PERFORMED BY SEARS) FLEW OFF THE MOWER AND WAS LEFT EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 8 INCHES OUT OF THE BACK OF THE MOWER!
Having just purchased our first home, it’s unfortunate to think of how much patronage, business, equipment and tool purchases Sears and Craftsman will now forfeit as a result of this COMPLETELY FAILED CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE!
Regards,
JimG

• Resolution Statement

• Kenmore Customer Care's Response · Jun 25, 2009

Dear JimG

My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares Team. I would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory service that you have received. We would like to speak to you regarding you experience with our service. You can contact us at [protected]@searshc.com so we can further discuss your concerns. Please include your screen name (JimG) in your email so we can reference your case.

David V.