Schwinn / defective bicycle

I purchased a Schwinn bike for my son in Jan 2008. The bike started to have problems after the first 3 weeks. The chain would continually come off the rear wheel. Finally it completely pulled into the rear wheel, broke two spokes and destroyed the rear derailer. I took the bike to Target with receipt within the 90 day window for repair. It is now almost mid May and the bike has not been repaired. I have called and or went by the store inquiring on the status of the repair. The store manager as well as every conversation on the phone has provided the same answer, parts are on order and we will call you once the bike has been repaired.

If I ever receive the bike and it is been repaired I will go pick up the bike and have no intentions to ever step foot in a Target store again.

What a terrible example of how products are sold and service to the consumer.

Thanks for nothing TARGET!!

Va

Comments

• To
      9th of Sep, 2008

My father bought me a Schwinn Corvette in 1964. His great grandson is now riding the same bike. It's never had a broken spoke or needed any repairs. In 2005 I bought a Schwinn mountain bike from Target in Eureka, Ca. It lasted for 2 summers (about 10 rides) and now almost every spoke has broken due to the fact that they were defective and made from cheap pot metal. I called Target and they told me to bring them the bike. I took it to them in June, 2008. They looked at my receipt and told me that it was past 90 days so they couldn't exchange it but they filled out a bicycle repair work order and promised to repair it. 3 months passed and they never called me. I called them every month and I was told that the bike had been sent out for repairs. In September of 2008 they told me that it couldn't be repaired and I was asked to come pick up my bike. I wasted an entire summer, $90 in gas and now I need to buy another bike. I spent 2 hours on the phone today and I spoke with 4 different customer service reps. The 4th rep said "sorry, nothing we can do for you." Target is the worst retail chain in the United States. My family and friends will never set foot inside a Target store again and I urge everyone else to do the same.

• My
      2nd of Aug, 2010

It used to be Schwinn was know for quality bikes. Not any more! Less than a year old rear derailleur denigrated, bent the chain, busted gear teeth, bent spokes .. What a flippin mess! a hundred dollars later I wonder whats next!

never again Schwinn! What a piece of $h*t!

• Je
      2nd of Jul, 2011

I bought my son a Schwinn Hybrid less than a month ago at Target. Two weeks later the handlebar post clamp snapped while he was riding on a very busy street. His only saving grace was that he was going slow enough to avoid going into traffic. Upon inspection I saw that this part is made of some sort of cheap material with chrome painted plastic on the outside to look like it's metal. It's not.

We returned it to Target and it was one of four Schwinn's being returned. How long until someone is killed or maimed so that Schwinn can make a profit by selling bike's with cheap critical components?