Samsung / Refrigerator / refrigerator died right after warranty period

What a rotten product; what a rotten company. Shortly after the warranty ran out, so did the small printed circuit board which controls my refrigerator. When I tried to find out how this could be, all that I learned was that there is no person to talk to!!! At the same time, I was contacted by samsung to say that my washing machine was recalled because it could cause a fire. Finally, the very nice repair people told me that samsung wanted $349.44 for the circuit board... 40% of the price of the refrigerator. Classic rip-off. Don't be fooled like me.

Comments

• Dn
      20th of Dec, 2007

I think I hate the #34 because it blinks all the time on my fridge!!! I live in Houston and there are only 4 authorized repair shops (2 of which are the same company and don't service my area) i have already paid $100.00 for a service call and the # 34 still blinks (which means the unit is not cooling). The service co. told me that if the problem persists to call them back, I did 3 weeks ago and they still have not returned to try to fix the problem, I have an appointment booked for the day after Christmas. I too am out of the warranty period. Most service people will NOT touch Samsung products and neither will I after this. The company WILL NOT stand behind their product.

Always remember this "IF IT AIN'T BROKE THEN DON'T REPLACE IT" My Kenmore that is now in my garage still runs like a champ. The only reason I bought the Samsung fridge is because it looked good. Looks can be very decieving...

• Ho
      27th of Dec, 2007

Have problem with the fridge one month before the end of the warranty deadline. Thank God!! It seems that Samsung circuit board is always the culprit. The Techinican who came to fix it was really guessing and there's no diagnostic done. So it made 3 trips to fix one problem which is the temperature control. First trip just to say : Main board need to be replaced. About two weeks later came back with a circuit board but still not working after replacing it. Now the diagnosis is the front panel board. Another three weeks gone before it got done and the fridge working again. I fortunately have another fridge and it is winter up north otherwise I don't know what I should do. If some body decide to go with Samsung, buy a second fridge of different brand as a reserve one.

22nd of Jan, 2008

Specific model number would be useful - not just on this complaint, but ALL complaints.

• Ki
      25th of Apr, 2008

samsun fridge died right after warranty as well, ciruit board problem, but who can guarantee me this time that the same product fromt the same company will not fail again? worst buy of my life. Hope poeple out there will learn from our experience, sigh.

• Ly
      12th of Jul, 2008

I will NEVER EVER buy a SAMSUNG product again!
    We have had nothing but troubles with our SAMSUNG fridge..its only 1 1/2 yrs old..and had to have service guys out 7 times so far..and its still not working!!! SAMSUNG will not back their product..so NEVER buy a SAMSUNG FRIDGE..NEVER!!! Please listen..dont EVER buy a SAMSUNG fridge!!

• Li
      6th of Nov, 2008

I too bought a Samsung fridge (model # RS2555SL, side by side) in Nov 2003. I bought the 5 year service performance plan from the store where I purchased the fridge. THANK THE LORD!
    Suddenly in Sep 2008 my refigerator stopped cooling without warning and the temp just kept blinking. I called the warranty plan, a tech came out and said the regulater went and he would order the part and put it in. During that initial visit, he unplugged the unit, opened the door, and took out the drawers and shelving. Unplugged all wires inside behind the cooling draw and removed a cover to reveal a coiled unit that keeps the fridge cold. IT WAS COMPLETELY FROZEN OVER, the tech defrosted it with a blowdryer like item, hooked everything back up and set the tempurature. In an hour or so the unit was back to the right temp and the unit was working well UNTIL 1 WEEK LATER WHEN IT DIED AGAIN! I called the tech back, he came out again, same issue, ordered new parts (THE COMPUTER BOARD), defrosted it again, and for a week all was fine. The computer was replaced and still the same issue. After 5 more tech visits and replacing the entire back of the refrigerator the unit was deemed unrepairable and the warranty I purchased covered the cost of a replacement of equal value to the specs on the model that was a LEMON! OH and lets talk about the food spoilage that occured during these episodes, luckily I was reimbursed under the warranty for every loss of grocery episode. I hope all of you who are not under warranty find this helpful and maybe try to defrost the unit inside the fridge side. PLEASE REMEMBER TO UNPLUG THE UNIT FIRST.

• De
      14th of Nov, 2008

What's up with the ice dispencer on the model RS2556BB side by side? At least once a week it clogs up to where the holding tray has to be taken out and shaken or dumped, defrosted and refilled.

28th of Jan, 2009

PURCHASED SAMSUNG REFRIGERATOR NOVEMBER 2007 CIRCUIT BOARD JUST WENT OUT. NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. PAID OVER $2000.00 FOR THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!
    NEVER AGAIN ON A SAMSUNG PRODUCT.

• Fe
      20th of Feb, 2009

Now I'm very scared by reading all of your comments! I have a Samsung side x side RS2556SH. I was told today that we need the Main Circuit Control. That sounds expensive to me. We got it 4 years ago at Best Buy. With all of your experience, should I spend the $$ to fix it or go buy a different one?

I've already sunk in about $200 so far - 2 weeks ago they came and replaced a fuse on the fridge side. The ice maker & water is not working either.

Any advice is appreciated...

• Ap
      2nd of Mar, 2010

I can provide the board for 225 + labor let me know my phone is 832-329-7464 chaeck my add at houston.craigslist.org/app/1624037186.html

• Do
      8th of Mar, 2013

my french door rf26xaebp samsung refrigerator is also junk. the main control board has been replaced, twice. still does not preform properly. 88 and 87 blink all the time.
    i have tried every thing, to reset it, but nothing works. company doesn't care. like wise i will never buy another product from this so called company its my own mistake. i always research every appliance, on line, this time i didn't and now paying for my mistake
    dolores craig roberts

• Fe
      7th of Feb, 2014

My warranty ran out 3 months after the date. My refrigerator side doesnt cool down. Samsung sent a company over to repair it. The tech was here for approx 5 min and said it was the defrost sensor, Five days later they came back with the sensor, replaced it and my refrigerator still didnt work. So i called Samsung back and they said they couldnt assist me, and for me to deal directly with the company THEY sent over. So now they said it was the computer circuit and they replaced that and the fridge is still not working. Im out $260 and i still dont have a fridge. I also have a Samsung TV which works great. I also have a front loader washer/dryer set. The washer works great but the dryer drum cracked in half yup 2 months after warranty. So i put my old dryer back in from Kenmore and it works like new. I will never purchase another Samsung product again.

5th of Apr, 2016

I swear these things are set to self destruct right after the warranty expires. My french-door style [model RFG298aabp) stopped cooling at 5 yrs and 3 months. Called samsung and they led me to believe that it would still be under warranty if it was the 'sealed system'. I called back again to speak to another agent -- same story. I scheduled a tech to come out days later. First thing he said - not under warranty. Looks like the compressor is working but there is a leak somewhere... it would take time to find it. Estimate = $600-900 to repair.
    I called Samsung to find out why I needed to pay to have a person tell me this and now eat the service call???!!! I asked to speak with the top rep department and have Samsung make it right -- repair this $3000 refrig. NO HELP. Sorry -- out of warranty. NO ###.
    Nice people on the phone -- but no customer service or support. Despite being beat over the head on hold with the recording say... we strive and excel in customer service... B.S.
    Not going to pay that repair bill to have something else fail... or risk it leaking again after the >ninety day< repair warranty.
    Buying something other than samsung crap. But -- it seems all brands don't last at all.
    My grandmother has a 40+ old refrigerator and oven that are still running strong. If they make parts for your older appliance???? Don't get rid of it! Lesson learned. Not buying their TVs, phones, etc. Seems they are too diversified and won't support their products.

• At
      30th of Nov, 2016

I bought a Samsung refrigerator two years ago (over $900) and it suddenly failed to make ice and the control panel black out. After contacting customer service, I was asked to schedule a checkout for fix. Per a friend's bad experience with a Samsung refrigerator I bought a new one with different brand and hauled the Samsung to a junk yard.