Royal Mail / Offensive Postman

England, Cleveland, United Kingdom Review updated:

Recently we have a postman delivering mail to my property who constantly leave our front gate wide open. My wife has just had eye operations and bright light is painful. As I am working away from home my wife has to go and close the front gate. When asked on the 05.02.2010 to politly to close the gate the postman said "He is not payed to close gates" and left my property leaving the gate wide open. Previously my wife left a note on our front door asking the postman to close the gate which he ignored. I then contacted the Royal Mail via their website and explained the situation which after a number of days I got a reply saying they would try and rectify the matter. As you can imagine the attitude of this postman is upsetting to both my wife and myself yet the Royal Mail costomer service are either to slow in dealing with matter or dont care.

Comments

• Po
      6th of Feb, 2010

I am a Postman and your postie is wrong.

We are instructed on starting the job, and its included in an official computer program that makes rounds more efficient (well that's what we are told), that all gates and entrances should be left as we find them.

If its open when we get there then it should be left open. If its closed then we should close it on leaving the property - and its common courtesy as well.

To be honest going through Customer Services is probably the wrong way to go about rectifying it. My advice would to approach the Delivery Office Manager at the local office - telephone number and address is usually in yell.com or yellow pages. I would both write and call and it puts the onus on the manager to sort it.

If that does not work you could always go to Adam Crozier via email and things should move apace. I'd better not give you his email address but it is easy to find on the internet.

• Ra
      21st of May, 2012

I don't think they care at all.