Ronald M. Canter - Workers Compensation Lawyer / Taking advantage of people

I am posting this complaint against RONALD M.CANTER a Worker's Comp attorney practicing in Los Angeles. My case is current since July 2003 when I met and attained Mr. Canter after I was forced off the job by my maniacal employer under fraudulent reasons. I was referred to Mr. Canter through Prepaid Legal. Little did I know this attorney would go on to do his best to sabotage my case by his actions and his non-actions.

The first thing that was a red flag was the fact that upon meeting Mr. Canter he refused to view extremely important information I had to show him in our initial meeting. Next he referred me to MANAGEDMED for psychological testing/ physical therapy which turned out to be a total nightmare and what happened to me there turned out to be worse than what happened to me on my job.Thank You Mr. Canter.

I had numerous depositions over the 3 year period in which Mr. Canter was never prepared for by purposely not bringing my file or medical file (then blaming others)and which he allowed the defense attorney to badger me with the exact same questions each depo while flat out REFUSING to subpena the most important document in the case that would have exonerated my name against my employer's allegations. The whole time Mr. Canter acted as if he was employed by the Defense or that the goal was to get me to settle for next to nothing for a benefit to him.

My biggest complaint against Mr. Canter is his wholehearted lack of communication. Ive tried numerous times and a multitude of ways to attempt a meeting with him by phone, regular mail, certified mail,email, you name it- they all went unanswered. He would allow me 10 minutes or less to speak my concerns to him before the depos but still would never take anything I had to share with him into any consideration whatsoever! At my last depo (2/07) I provided Mr. Canter a 2 page detailed list of my concerns and grievances against him to which he responded to by ordering a petition to withdraw from my case. He falsely states that it is due to "the conduct of my client" When I contacted him via email for an explanation of what he meant exactly by my "conduct"- again no response whatsoever followed by a letter sent to me stating that a "Mandatory Settlement Conference" had been scheduled for May 2007. Upon the date of the conference, to which Mr. Canter was late, I actually got to observe Mr. Canter and the Defense Attorney again "pal around" together before he finally approached me stating that "The Board" had misplaced my file. Right. Based on what I saw I have reason to believe that the Defense Attorney obtained my file before Mr. Canter arrived and placed it out of sight since the case files are out in the open for pickup and review for the attorneys at the Court.

I was instructed to request to speak with the Judge as I formally was prepared to have Mr. Canter removed from the case. He blocked me from speaking to the judge and went in himself, had himself removed from the case-so now he is under the impression that he is no longer responsible for his mis actions against me. Wrong. There was no intention of Mr Canter Settling my case. His actions clearly indicate that he was working with the defense to frustrate me out of y case and/or settlement.

I was extremely relieved to know that I am not the only client with similar complaints. I went online and found two other individuals who have filed almost IDENTICAL COMPLAINTS against Mr. Canter.

(The are easy to locate by doing a Yahoo & Google search on Ronald M. Canter)

The fact that this man is still practicing Law is a travesty of Justice! He has hurt alot of clients by assuming that he can take advantage of people that are unfamiliar with the laws he as an attorney can manipulate to his advantage- Until he is finally correctly reprimanded and/or no longer scamming clients Im glad there are websites like these that can shift the power back to the disadvantaged. It does however indicate how corrupt the system in which he works is by allowing him to continue to do this to people.

Comments

• Ro
      6th of Jun, 2007

Damion Thompson is a disgruntled ex client of mine. The only true statement in his complaint is that I did represent him in a workers compensation. His paranoid delusions that every white person (including me) was out to get him clearly clouds his view of the world. I represented him in a competent way & wish him no ill will. However since life has not been good to him (largely his own fault), he blames it on everybody else (especially me). He has been unsuccessful in the working world & has to find someone to blame it on. It is usually the white man.

My distinguished record as an attorney is not by accident and flies in the face of the malicious erroneous accusations made by Damion Thompson. I hope he gets his life together but I sincerely doubt it will happen.

• La
      20th of Aug, 2007

I am having the identical situation with my pre-paid legal attorney in Maryland. I plan to start my own web-site informing the millions of clients of pre-paid legal and the potential new clients of pre-paid legal to run as fast as you can if you are ask to purchase pre-paid legal. It must be something they teach these lawyers who handle pre-paid cases. I don't know how they get away with it. You get absolutely no help from the pre-paid main office in Oklahoma. These lawyers just seem to do what ever they want and get away with it. Everything Ronald M. Canter did to this man, our lawyer is doing to my husband and I. I plan to file as many complaints against our attorney that is allowed. Pre-paid Legal in Oklahoma needs to start taking responsibility for their attorney's actions/non-actions or stop taking our money.

• As
      16th of Jan, 2008

As a former CA workers' compensation claims adjuster, I can confirm that the complainants posting is typical experience with a typical applicant's attorney representing injured employees.

First, these attorneys 'only' get up to 15% of an injured's final award. That means they need to pump up the disability to get paid more. Usually that means adding body parts for fictitious injuries that are difficult to confirm, like psychological injuries, headaches or internal complaints. The unsuspecting injured doesn't know what is going on until they are at the doctors appointments. Even if the injured wanted to go back to work, these doctors have declared them so disabled that they usually can't find any work at all, especially with their old employer.

Due to the fact that they make little money on each individual claim, they need more claims to generate revenue. That means handling more injured's than they can reasonably provide good services to. Also, most of the time, their office staff is poorly trained and inexperienced. Meaning, they are cheap to employ, thus reducing costs.

I cannot say from experience how professional Mr. Cantor is. But I can state that Managemed is a typical applicant's doctor firm. Anything that crawls in the door will have a work injury and will be given disability. The doctors there will completely ignore anything that tends to detract from a work injury and completely blame everything that is wrong with the injured on his employment. Last time, I checked, real people has real problems and are not perfect. Real people have outside of work stress like divorce, molestation, financial difficulty, poor health, criminal records, etc etc. These docs have blinders on.

Do yourself a favor and hire a good attorney or handle it yourself. If you are a reasonable person, your adjuster will work with you. If you are an angry, disgruntled, insulting, profane person with a major chip on your shoulder wanting someone to blame for your miserable life, hire an attorney.

• Ca
      17th of Jan, 2008

EVEN AFTER LOOKING AND LOOKING I STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A REALY GOOD COMP LAWYER NEAR RIVERSIDE CALF, IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF ONE PLEASE SET A LINK TO THER SITE , IM 31 AND BECAUSE OF MY BACK I WILL NO LONGER WORK AGAIN AS I DID AT ONE TIME AND EVERY ONE TURNS THERE HEAD TO ME AND AFTER THREE YEARS NOW ILL BE HOMELESS IN A MONTH BECAUSE IM BEING CUT OFF ALL CASH AID FROM E,D,D AND WORK COMP IS ONLY PAYING FOR MY PAIN MEDS AND DR VISITS NOW AND I HEAR THAT THE SETTLEMENTS ARE NOTHING ANY MORE... SO IF I DONT GET HELP FROM A SUPER LAWYER THAT CAN PULL CASH OUT OF THE SKI FOR ME, ( NEVER HAPPEN ) IM GOING TO BE HURT OUT IN THE COLD IN PAIN, JUST TO THINK ALL I WAS DOING WAS MAKEING SOME ONE RICH THAT DONT GIVE A ### ABOUT ME,, SO MY EDD IS RUNING OUT DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHATS THE NEXT STEP FOR ME AS FAR AS MY CASE .. THREE YEARS NOW AND ONE SURGERY ,, I STILL NEED RODS IN MY BACK IM GETING WORSE AND THAY WILL NOT FIX ME ARE PAY ME DO TO TIME FRAMES AND LAME NEW LAWS THE REAL HURT PEPPLE ARE GETING SCREWD OVER BIG TIME, IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME AN ANY WAY PLEASE EMAIL ME GAME0VER911@YAHOO.COM THE O IN OVER IS A ZERO, 0VER NOT OVER ... THANKS GODBLESS.

• Am
      15th of Mar, 2008

Wow! is all I can say about this. but, this confirms everything my sister and I was thinking about this man. wow!!

reading this just blew me away I actually thought I was crazy when I thought this man was more on the side of the defence then my sisters case. Yes. lord Yes. unorganize is a understatement, professionalism oh my God how does this man continue to practice law? no these people are not crazy at all not everyone that dont even no each other is lying on this man and his staff. And the idiots he has working for him... man.... no words can ever express the unprofessionlism and iliteracy in one law office. how does this man get paid? do anyone ever wonder? how is it he is so buddy buddy with these defence attorneys, I wonder who is really getting paid???? my sister fired this man and handled her case herself and she went step by step with the wc they have representatives that will help you. with this kind of representation obviously you dont need to be a high school grad or to settle your own case. Im sorry but if your read this Mr. Canter sir? hey you deserve that much no matter how bad of a lawyer you are and how many cases you lose, you went to college for maybe 12 to lose cases. My question is how do you sleep at night doing people that come to you and trust you with at the lowest time in their life and you screw them over like that. why did you become a lawyer to hurt people? dont you know one day you are going to screw over. the wrong client and the right lawyer will take you and your buddys to the cleaners oneday...complaints is what opens investigations, it is sad to put your name in a search engine and find nothing but complaints... I dont mean to offend you because you are a older man but, hey if I was you I would just stop.... one day you will lose and your career will be over and for what? NOTHING!! I am going to pray for you because something is seriously wrong. I wondering how many complaints was turned into the bar? my sister started to send in a complaint but she said forget it, she got what she wanted herself out of her case. See Mr. Canter what you dont realize God takes care of his fools and his kids, so these people you dislike because they are poor or not up to your standards, dont represent them then change your study, obviously you dont like the kind of people that you took a oath to represent. Again Mr. Canter no disrespect ment here.

25th of Mar, 2008

Actually the individuals that are complaining are right about Mr. Canter. He was representening a friend of mine and did the same things described above. Someone has complained about him on the /link removed/ website and he also has a complaint on the www.scam.com site its true. Doing a search with his name will bring up the complaints. I think its sad that he'd call his "ex clients" paranoid dillusionists because they wont let him bully them. Mr. Canter this is the information age and just because the folks you represent dont have money DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE STUPID! I wish anyone the best of luck in bringing to light the actions of this "terrible example" of a professional practicing law.

• Co
      7th of Apr, 2008

Reading this is very upsetting, because Mr. Canter is my attorney & my injury occurred 01/1997 A mandentory settlement date was made for June but then postpond for the depo, which I was under the impression that after the Deposition (which went very well) last August, it would have already occurred. I was pro bono until 2002 when the judge a Workman Comp. told me I would need a lawyer or the other attorney's would take advantage of me. Mr. Canter was the only lawyer that would accept my case. I have not been able to work since my injury, my voc. rehab is almost over now, but it's not going to be enough money to cover it. I do receive 320.00 every 2 weeks from the insurance co. which states Permanient Partial. I don't know how long I will rec. these checks. I can't get an answer from Mr. Canter's after repeated phone calls, and letters. and faxes. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    I have gone 11 yrs. without any income & I am worried we will loose our home.

10th of Apr, 2008

IM A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF RONALD. I SEE HOW YOU CAN FEEL THAT WAY I WORKED FOR HIM FROM 1999-2001. HE DID NOT PAYED GOOD, MAYBE BECAUSE THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE BUT I WAS OVERWELMED WITH WORK AND HIS HELPERS LIKE ROBERTO, NEVER RETURN THE CALLS TO THE CLIENTS AND IT ALL CAME BACK TO ME. I WAS THE RECEPTIONIST/CLERK/MAIL/SECRETARY. MR CANTER IS KIND HEARTED TO HIS STAFF BUT WHEN IT COMES TO BUISNESS I THINK HE STABS YOU IN THE BACK. HE KINDA TO ADVANTAGE OF ME TOO. HE STILL OWES ME MONEY FROM WHEN I GAVE MY TWO WEEK NOTICE. I COULDN'T HANDLE IT AND WALKED OUT 3 DAYS BEFORE THE TWO WEEKS, SO THAT MONEY IS STILL UP HIS WALLET...

25th of Apr, 2008

I to feel taken by this law firm and was sent to him by Pre Paid legal also and i experiance all most the same thing that everyone else has experiance. I was also sent to Mr. Canters Doctors that did nothing but found was to see me so i could be billed. My case opened april of 2003 and it has not been resolved as of yet. I to have tried to see Mr. Canter and that has not happened neither. I have also tryed to speak to him and that was allowed only three times since I retained him. I have been talked to really badly by his assistance and office helpers. When i ask if i can get an appointment with him i never get a responds. I don't even know if I still have a case with him because it was never seattled and i have not heared from anyone in several months all most 6 months. Last I heard from him he told me he was going to be sending me to one of his doctor's again and that never happened. I am still waiting to see if my case is still open. I have reported him to Pre-Paid legal and that didn't help and I that they all are in a triangle to help each other get paid off the other. I ended up going to my on Medical group to get my prozacs as well as counclin because this has also been a nightmare for me and total disappointment

2nd of Sep, 2008

I signed up with Mr canter, I am dispointed with actions, neither Mr Canter or Albert return calles or emails, it has been almost 2 weeks and yet no reply, so I look up if there were any similar complaints, I was not surprized to see that there were similar compalints, I will be firing this attorney today

14th of Oct, 2008

I am in shock. I retained this attorney also and I am very disappointed in his services. His receptionist is rude and condescending, he never calls you back, respond to your calls or even show a genuine interest in the case. His assistants are just as bad. When I retained him, I gave him all documentation pertaining to my case, but his assistant called me one time requesting the same documents. I have a scheduled deposition but have not heard from my attorney at all. Attorney's of this calibur in my opinion are a disgrace to their profession. I wish I had been smart enough to do this search before retaining him. I could have saved myself the aggravation. There should be more stringent regulations...

17th of Nov, 2008

MR. RON M. CANTER is a very, very bad man... He will have to deal with a TRUE JUDGEMENT one day when his judgment day comes.. This man needs some serious prayers.. KARMA will be a ### for RONALD M. CANTER for all the people he screwed over..
    I am STILL couch surfing while being sick as a dog with no income, thanxs to Mr. Canter .. I feel like I am playing "CATCH-UP" with my life and finances due to Mr. Canter "SITTING" on my case and having my benefits cut off FOR 2 YEARS!!!

17th of Nov, 2008

COMPLAIN TO THE BAR ASSOCIATION ABOUT RONALD M. CANTER!!!

• Do
      24th of Dec, 2008

RONALD M. CANTER made me suck him off in his office when I worked for him or said he would fire me.

• Co
      23rd of Feb, 2009

According to what I've read except for the last statement I agree wholeheartedly. My case which is listed above from Connie, did go to the mandentory settlement last July. Unbeknown to me he had me sign all the papers which were blank, then he filled them out with the defense & the judge signed them. What bothers me is the fact that when I hired him he had agreed that I would be reimbursed for my out of pocket medical expenses. which I still am trying to get. The most I could have gotten for my voc. rehab was $10, 000.00 I only received $5, 000.00 minus his %. Since I did not receive a copy of the stipulations of the settlement until Sept. so when I called Workmans Comp. asking them what I could do to appeal this stipulation that I never agreed to any of those stipulations, they told me I only had 30 days to do this. So the statute had passed to file an appeal, for a lawyer in the state of Calif. this is a total act of betrayal according to the State Bar & the lack of communication between him & his clients puts him in line for a violation according to the State Bar. My case is going to be audited whenever the Calif. Workmans Comp. State of Insurance (which are so bogged down with complaints) can find the time.
    I called my Insurance adjuster Jan 29th & I was told that I would be reimbersed whenever they received my medical receipts. Which Mr Canter has in his possession & has not sent them to the adjuster or to me. Unfortunately I found out through the adjuster that Mr Canter is still representing me as my attorney, yet he has not returned one phone call since I saw him at the settlement last July 2008. Which is a total of 35 times I have called his office & tried to speak with him, but I was only able to leave a message. My husband says "Lady Justice is not only blind but she most certainly is deaf!" I wish you all the best of luck, I guess when it comes down to cases like ours & if you are not one of the super RICH, it's up to Lady Luck not Lady Justice. That the outcome will NOT be what was agreed upon or had what was expected. The very sad truth is we can't count on anything when we hire an attorney.

29th of Apr, 2009

Wow... I must have hooked up with him at th eright time... he represented me for a work comp knee and back injury and i got along great with him and his staff. He sent me to a doctor i go t my sirgury, i agree it was a little hard to get ahold of him, but once i did, he explained stuff to me and when my case settled it went smooth . my knee has lifetime care as part of the settlement

11th of May, 2009

totally agree he does not represent his client. I finally asked him prior to the last scheduled depo, "why are u here"? He was puzzled by the question so I told him why I thought he was there. I hired him to represent me, but in order to do that he had to know me and what I needed and wanted. It was impossible to do that since we had never met to discuss anything, nor had he ever reviewed anything I had to give to him. I did send him emails with my concerns and questions i had pertaining to preparation for the depositons however neither were incorporated into my case. I was embarrassed by him in the depo. he only interjected if i nodded instead of replying outloud, but never objected to nasty comments made by opposing counsel. He was primarily concerned with the hours he would be paid for and told me if asked that we spent an hour preparing. He was very friendly with them and asked what the current judge was ruling on. He sent one letter, right away, without my knowledge to the insurance company telling them I had a back problem and when they denied a complaint like that I tried to supply him with evidence he totally ignored. He mentioned something about just getting started and I told him I was in a settlement stage when i hired him and that I wanted to get on with my life I wanted this over. We settled that day but I told him what the offers were before and the highest one and the right one. He said he had never seen that one (big surprise), verified that what i wanted was to settle and proceeded to negotiate an offer. He came back and showed me that he had gotten them to accept the highest one and showed me the numbers. It was exactly the same one I had presented to them and the one I told him about. However it was minus the 7900 fee for him. It cost me 7900 to hire him for approximately 5 months but I said ok. I would be rid of him too. I questioned him however about his fee. I told him I recall him saying to me at the time I signed him up that his fee would not come out of my settlement but he said he would never have said that. I knew now the kind of person he was and wouldnt even bother trying to negotiate his fee. If he was straight up he would have offered. He also has a place in his contract for you to initial he could be paid for things he never did. Dont intitial that line. Now I am trying to get my money, asked for an advance but opposing counsel told me they would walk it though and shouldnt take more than 2 weeks. My expense checks. I asked Canter to followup daily with me and after 2 weeks requested him to follow-up and request an advance. He said he had no control, didnt promise me anything they had 30 days and blah, blah, blah. I told him no he did not promise me a thing, the other guy did. I have no phone, no money and live out of town. I told him not to mail it but i would like to pick up if possible. He referred me to his asst. ceasar to followup cause he was going out of town. Im gonna call him now but Im not holding my breath. Canter is totally unprofessional and doesnt give a damn about this client. What goes around comes around and I did try to get info about him. I did not see this website until today. I want to sit outside his office and let his new clients know what he has not done for me.
    and proceeded but he presentedwanted to

1st of Jun, 2009

although i had a horrible experience dealing with mr. canter i must commend his assistant Ceasar Rodriquez. Canter was going out of town and could not follow-up on my settlement and expense checks although several requests had been made way before his going out of town. he did refer me to his assistant Ceasar to handle the follow-up. Ceasar was absolutely professional as well as personable. He gathered the information he needed without making me repeat tasks i had done initially to see that my requests were answered to my satisfaction. He went out of his way to offer suggestions to me when i mentioned i was having a problem cashing my check. He followed up on what i believe would have been lost expense reimbursement had he not gotten involved. I do so appreciate his assistance. Speaking with him was actually a pleasure and we need more like him in whats turned out to be a dog eat dog profession we are calling legal representation.

2nd of Dec, 2009

I think that Cesar and Mr. Canter is working with the defense attorneys because they never have anythng good to say in your defense. Cesar my make a phone call or two but his overall attitude stinks. When I first want in to see Mr. Canter he did not ask what was the issues just what hurts that was it and told me that I need to go to managemed. That was the most horrible experience ever, they do not like working with patients and always want to be right or else they will prolong things for you and whats even more crazier is that they are allowed to still practice.

• Vi
      21st of Jun, 2010

The man is a fraud. I experienced much of what others have experienced. I wrote numerous letters to no avail. This man takes cases, does little if any work and makes excuse after excuse for delays and lack of formal communication.

I wrote many letters asking for a written plan, but never got a response. He should be investigated by the BAR as well as the CBWC.

He and his staff will call you when they want information that they do not need and put a verbal emergency blitz on you by telephone. Some of the excuses he gave me for non communication is that his former office manager was lax and was fired. Another excuse was that he had jury duty. Another excuse was that he was visiting his daughter in the northeast. The man is a fraud and I'll bet he makes oodles of money misrepresenting his clients.

Him and his office staff wanted me to give a street address and drivers license information and I questioned why when I had filled out all application information.

The asked the reason for need of my street address as I use a post office box and their reply was to have a limo pick me up to take me to the airport when the time came for me to visit LA. I told them I would drive myself to the airport. Now that I've read these complaints, I think he wanted the information to give to the opposing attorneys.

Within his original paper work, there is a document that voids his practice from legal suit through the court system and agrees to arbitration [I never signed it].

Anyone that engages this lawyer after reading these complaints is a fool. His method of operation is predictable, unethical, and very unprofessional.