Redbox DVD Rental / unauthorized charges

1 Pacifica, CA, United States Review updated:

I've been using Redbox for rentals for the past six months. There are two kiosks in my supermarket and I found the service to be cheap and convenient.

Well, that was until yesterday morning when I checked my account and found a $52.44 charge from them.

I have successfully returned every movie I ever rented from them. The last time I rented, it was two movies for two nights and that should've resulted in two charges of $2.19. Instead, I was charged $2.19+$52.44.. WHAT A RIP OFF.

The worst part is that they haven't responded to any of the three emails I sent yesterday and it's been well over the 24 hour response window they have stated on their website.

They've left me feeling completely helpless over this, my bank says I can't reverse the charge because it's a debit card. It's just a mess.

I'M PISSED OFF and they have no reason for doing this. Even if they admitted that it was a mistake on their part and refunded me, WHO wants to deal with a company that makes THESE kinds of mistakes?

I'm so done with REDBOX. THEY are THEIVES

An

Comments

• Kg
      6th of Nov, 2009

You may not be able to have the charge reversed with your bank, but if Redbox does not respond to you, you do have the right to dispute the overage with your bank and get your money back that way.

• Un
      27th of Apr, 2010

Same thing happened to me. I rented four movies from Redbox, returned them the next day (and yes, the screen did prompt me to place the movies into the slot for the return), and was charged a week later for over 20 odd dollars. I spoke with a supervisor who refunded the money, but it was my first and only time renting and I'd never disputed anything else with them (obviously), so that made a difference, I think.

• Re
      17th of Oct, 2010

First of all the website states 1-2 business days. Idiot. The reason you were charged is because you never returned the disc. Even if you THINK you did, I deal with 5-10 calls everyday where the customer returned an empty case. If you returned the movie, even if the disc was registered as returned, it's in the box. So when our tech goes to the machine (minimum of once a week) he'll see it there and return it. But the disc wasn't there, was it? Before you accuse our techs of stealing the disc, they get the discs for dirt cheap. Like a dollar. They wouldn't risk it. Stop complaining. Let me guess... You deleted the reciept out of your inbox and the trash before you called? Pffft... Gimme a break!

19th of Apr, 2017

@RedBox CSR Redbox plant to try to divert attention from a corrupt company. Just like McDonald's did with the lady that was burned by coffee. A campaigned is immediately launched to destroy ANYTHING negative. McDonald's distorted the facts and the severity of the woman's burns and seriousness of her permanent injuries to her genitalia and urinary system. Redbox deliberately tricks and outright steals and it is so prevalent that its a mainstay resource of income. I'm happy to talk to anyone about Redbox. They stole from me and I'm suing them. There's an "Esquire" after my name Redbox!!! You stole from the wrong person this time. I'm going to give you a crash course on RICO as well. Coming for you...Class Action...Cheri L. Shaine.

• Un
      18th of Oct, 2010

RedBox CSR...I know it's tempting to think that the customer isn't telling the truth (although the name calling is uncalled for and unprofessional). When I was laid off from my school, I took a job at a Directv call center and trust me...I know that a lot of people lie, but I also know that some genuinely do fall through the cracks and get ripped off.

I was also told that the tech checks the machine and would have seen the discs there the following morning. That this was a safety precaution. However, that didn't happen in my case. My discs got checked in many days after I had returned them. I did not lie about this. I have no reason to. I've been late several times with dvds to our local in-store rental center and paid the fines with no argument. However, I won't pay a fine for something I didn't do. Not everyone you deal with is lying or trying to cheat the company. Accidents like these do happen, and they happen with a frequency that should be made known to the general public.

19th of Apr, 2017

Redbox deliberately tricks and outright steals and it is so prevalent that it's a mainstay resource of income. I'm happy to talk to anyone about Redbox. They stole from me and I'm suing them. There's an "Esquire" after my name Redbox!!! You stole from the wrong person this time. I'm going to give you a crash course on RICO as well. Coming for you...Class Action...Cheri L. Shaine.

• Fl
      20th of Mar, 2018

@Cher Shaine Curious if you have a lead on that class action. I want to get involved

• Ru
      4th of Feb, 2018

I think there is frauds going on . I’m currently in Reno, NV and they charged to my debit for rental charges in Oakbrook Ter Ill. I immediately called my bank I’m getting reimbursed and I have to wait for my new card. Fraud alert I don’t even use Redbox.

15th of Dec, 2018