Pulte Homes / I'm done with them

I've recently started the process of buying a Pulte Home. I paid my deposit and I was hounded by Pulte Mortgage right away. I needed to provide my life history right away. I understand why they are doing this in this market to protect themselves but it seemed odd because I may or may not have chosen to use Pulte Mortgage.

I guess they knew I would consider they are offering incentives to help out with closing and points.

Be careful when dealing with the mortgage team in Denver. They are the most unprofessional group of people I've ever worked with. They will play a shell game with you to try to recoup their incentives they offered in a form of a fee or higher interest rate. This is an aggressive bunch and the culture there is to be pushy and intimidate you. Most people don't like conflict so this technique works well for them. You can definitely get a better rate from another bank but the illusion of an incentive keeps people from jumping. I was going to switch but I already locked into a rate and the rate was much higher by the time I figured things out.

I would recommend that you get a good faith estimate before you give them your deposit money. Actually, I've learned my lesson and will not go down this road in the future. I'm done with Pulte and Pulte Mortgage!!!

Va

Comments

• Bi
      19th of Oct, 2008

The same thing happened to us. I had already been ok'd for a loan at 5.75%.
    Pulte started at 8.75%. After a couple of weeks of of pesty calls, I told them
    to kiss my butt. I was not going to pay over 6%. I got ok'd for another home
    and actually were getting ready to sign the papers. Pulte Builders actually
    bought a 1/2% to get it down to 6% so we bought the home. I read about Pulte
    and the way that they build houses and we thought it was a good deal. This
    house is really a POS. It is amazing to me what we have found in the last couple
    of years living here.

• Tu
      12th of Nov, 2008

I experienced the exact same thing. They refused to let me talk to Pulte Mortgage company to get a good faith estimate. I went down the street to another housing development. They said that if I wanted to find out the interest rate I could go to their lender. They were on the up and up. Pulte was offering huge incentives for going with their mortgage company so I figured I could just take the incentives and finance somewhere else.

They gave me the same line as you. To qualify you have to sign for a low doc loan with a higher interest rate. I provided full documentation of all of my income. I requested a 5 year ARM. Instead when I went into closing they gave me a no interest ARM to get the loan to qualify. And here is the kicker. The ARM is based was based on the 1 year treasury rate and Pulte Homes doesn't guarantee what the interest rate will be at the time of closing. The reason is that they don't know what the 1 year treasury will be at closing. This is true, but in the good faith estimate they tell you the premium over Treasuries that the loan will be issued at. When I went to lock the $400, 000 loan at closing they quoted me an interest rate a full 1% over the good faith estimate. I called them on it and the loan agent came back with an interest rate 1/8th of a point over the good faith estimate. They nailed me for only an 1/8th of a point because I knew how the process worked, but I shutter to think about how many people got scammed that didn't know what was going on like you.

Had I accepted the full percentage point over the good faith estimate it would have cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am very happy with the builder and the home but I truly think that their should be a class action law suit against Pulte for the scam they perpetrated on the unsuspecting.

• Yv
      13th of Feb, 2009

If you are getting ready to buy from Pulte - stop now and dont buy I am posting to this website and others - my shingles are falling off the roof - I hired a roof contractor to look at the shingles and the shingles only have one nail in them - do not buy from them - I have called them and they say that it is only warrented for "workmanship" for one year - I told them what if there is no "workmanship" to begin with?

I am going to have to hire somebody to nail down the shingles or replace the roof - do yourself a favor and have somebody inspect the roof if you have not yet gone to settlement. If you have not bought a house yet but are contemplating - DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - DON'T BUY THE HOUSE FROM PULTE

My Pulte POS is in Cornelius, NC and I am going to contact as many people as I can to tell them not to buy a home from Pulte.

3rd of Oct, 2009

Pulte Home sale associate In orlando given me Misleading information and asked me to sign a contract, before signning I asked him if I withdraw from the contract" Will you be able to return the advance money"? He said YES, I signed : the next day itself I found some problems in the house and I told him, I am going to withdraw from the contract, please give my money back. He refused and still he is holding that amount. It is a totally cheating business.

ORLANDO, FLORIDA.

21st of Jan, 2010

I have a leaking roof problem with my Pulte Home which is only a few years old, and they have refused to address it. I am a Realtor in the Denver area and have sold a couple of Pulte Homes over the past several years. Every Pulte home I have sold has had roof leakage problems. Do not let this happen to you; if you are in the process of purchasing a Pulte Home, I urge you to reconsider; it's just not worth it. The product is inferior and they hide behind their warranty and pick and choose what they will cover. They are HORRIBLE! Watch out!

• Ro
      12th of Mar, 2010

What is going on here??? My brand new 400k Pulte home has leaked 5 times in the first 3 years of ownership (the first happening within the first month of living there). With the most recent leak they are unwilling to cover it becuase they are saying it is caused by a lack of "general upkeep"!!! What? Upkeep on a roof that you have had to fix 5 times with the first time being 3 weeks after I moved in.

I have been working with the local people at Pulte Tucson, Az with little results. What other options have worked for anyone????

• Mr
      23rd of Oct, 2013

The Attorney General's Office in Arizona has already settled a 1.1million dollar lawsuit against Pulte. You may still be able to get some information from them. I am fighting a case against Pulte for their unlawful practice of retaining the earnest deposit money in South Florida. Don't give up! Keep posting comments and contact every news media you can.

26th of Jun, 2016

Anyone considering purchasing a Pulte Home...run! I purchased a townhouse from them in 2006 and the stucco has literally fallen off the exterior. They hire the cheapest contractors and they do shotty work. My entire experience with Pulte has been terrible. The community that I live in decided to pursue legal action against them and finally settled with them for 1.3 million. I would never consider purchasing anything with their name attached. They put small Heat/air units in that are not sufficient for the square footage. I pulled up my carpet to replace with wood floors and found empty cigarette cartons and butts under my padding. Terrible builder!

• Wi
      13th of Jul, 2016

On both the north and south sides of my home here in the Edgewater community in Elgin, IL, I notice that there is mold on the exterior siding.
    What might be the cause of this and what do I need to do to eliminate this happening?

Wm. Schnell

• Nb
      29th of Nov, 2016

I had my home inspected before the 1 yr mark as a few other homes had to have new roofs. Amongst the other findings the roof was one. Pulte sent some guys that started ripping off parts of my roof and that was the last I have heard from pulte. I have no idea what they did to my roof! Also not honoring their 11 month drywall fix and several other items. This company should be sued in a class action case

• Ir
      27th of Nov, 2017

The bathroom smells like a sewer with the worst smell coming from under one sink in the master bedroom. Pulte sent their plumber since we had only been here 10 months and the visit ended without resolution. The plumber told us that there may be a dead animal in the pipes and when I asked why the smell is not there consistently and the plumber stated the wind may be changing direction. Basically what he was saying did not make sense. I disconnected the pipe under the sink to see if any debris was in the trap and there was nothing. I poured the cooking oil the plumber suggested we put down the drain in the laundry room drain but that has not resolved the issue. The smell can be unbearable that we sometimes have to open the bedroom window at night in order to sleep. I have now called the Naperville district to see if they can assist. An aside note, only use Pulte mortgage as your last resort. They were extremely unprofessional and aggressive bordering on bullying one through the application process.

• Ro
      9th of Mar, 2018

Purchased a Pulte home in 2014. Fit and finish was poor. Doors were not installed properly. They used level C sub-contractors and just stood back to see how much they could get away with. Kitchen Granite was low quality and they have refused to acknowledge. I could go on and on so do yourself a favor and don't buy Pulte.

• Vi
      17th of Jun, 2018

Sun City, TX
    Pulte Home Air Conditioning issue: 6/8/2018 My new air conditioner runs continually when the temperature outside reaches 95 degrees f. A/C technician visited our home as a result of my request for a system check (about 10 days after taking possession 6/1/2018) and confirmed that the system had not cycled during the 1 hour he was examining the system (about 4pm on a 95 degree day). According to his written report (which I send to the Pulte warranty department) the system was running within all normal specifications EXCEPT it was not cycling on and off (a classic example of an undersized system). He stated the system should have cycled 3 or 4 times over the 1 hour time period he was examining the A/C. Also, Pulte says their engineering shows that the system should be adequate. However, I know of one important flaw in their implementation of these simulations (US. department of energy) that drastically bend the results of their simulations (empirical data is after all the ultimate benchmark). Predictions in models are always lacking in base facts and can only produce good results when all factors are incorporated into the model.

If you have purchased a Pulte home in Sun City within the last 12 months – e.g. before your 1 year warranty expires, and your system is running continually when the temp reaches 95+, you may have an undersized system and notice should be given with proper documentation (technician's report) prior to the end of your warranty. We will see if anything can be accomplished with public exposure of what appears to be a flawed implementation of HVAC engineering. Other avenues may also be pursued .

FYI: my new home is an estate series home with approximately 2800 sq ft of living area and has a 3.5 ton air conditioning system installed. I also own a second home in Sun City, TX. This home was built in 2009 and has 1850 sq ft of living area and it also has a 3.5 ton air conditioning system installed. That system runs satisfactorily.

There is a lot more to this story that will be forthcoming as time permits and as the story unfolds.

BTW: I own a small real estate company that rents real estate, renovates residences, flips them, and performs all types of maintenance of these residences. I have had a CO real estate license, ran/run the above business for 30 years, and can fix and/or install just about anything in houses (with help from talented people).