Protect Cell Advantage / Cell phone replacement

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8773686365

I was adviced by the cell phone store sell rep. to purchase this protection plan instead of the one with my cell company. He said this was the best and fadtest way to get a phone replaced if anything were to happen to my phone. I paid $49.00 for the yearly protection plan and come to find out that to file a claim for a phone I had to pay an extra $40.00 or they wouldn't honor my claim, also I get a refurbish phone which was not what I wa told when I bought the policy. I have paid the additinal $40.00 which makes it a total of $90.00 and I still don't have a cell phone, when I checked online to track my phoen it says it is on a backorder but I am not able to speak to a rep from their company to get a straight answere. This is the worse protection I have ever got for my cell phone. I will advised anyone thinking about this company to not fail into their scam practices.

Comments

• Wh
      26th of Feb, 2010

Aww I wish I had read this 9 months ago, just started the same thing, I am trying to get my money back this is a scam!

• Mu
      17th of Apr, 2010

You have to pay a deductible with any insurance (including the phone insurance through your cell phone carrier). Most of the cell phone plans have a $50.00 ($10.00 more)deductible and they all send out refurbished phones. The thing I haven't been happy about with Protect Cell is that their business hours are Mon-Fri only during normal business hours.

• Dv
      20th of Apr, 2010

These guys have been good to me. And, phone insurance is just like any insurance. You have to pay a deductable. You're foolish if you think otherwise.

• Kk
      28th of Jul, 2010

There is a deductable on any insurance plans (including cell phones). The hours of Protect cell are 8am - 11pm central time. The people at protect cell are very helpful and will do what ever is needed to help me get the answers that I am looking for.

• Dl
      11th of Dec, 2010

The company sent me not only a refurbished phone, but (according to Verizon) one that was aligned to someone else's account. Amazing! (Stolen?) They said they would overnight me a new phone, but its been 4 days and I still dont have a fed ex tracking note and no returned call from the company. If I had known this was not the approved cellular insurance, I would never have purchased!

• De
      1st of Feb, 2011

I have not had to use them but I just bought my phone on the 28th and this is the 31st and yet they still do not have me in their system so that I can log on and see my benefits. If this is the way they do business then I want a refund.

• He
      1st of Feb, 2011

The customer service for this company is horrible! I talked with a lady who thought she knew all of the answers even before I voiced my complaint! I intend on getting compensation for some of the mix ups and rudeness! any suggestions what I can ask for or get?

• De
      2nd of Feb, 2011

I am marching to the Verizon store to get a full refund. the customer service is horrible. I have been told many things and have corresponded back and forth with them to find that they have my e-mail address all wrong! gee, you would think they would notice where the e-mails are coming from in the first place! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY AT ALL.

• Ap
      13th of May, 2011

I paid $120 for insurance on my i-phone, and when I needed to file a claim I paid the $50 deductable. (I am fine with this so far, even through apple said they would give me a new phone for $200 without all the hassel..)
    So I get my phone, and when I take it to apple to update, they say that the insides have been tampered with, and it looks like it could have had water damage. Anyway, the hardware was inoperable, and some was missing. The rep said it looked bad enough to be a lawsuit.

I talk to the customer service rep from protect cell, I tell them that I want my money back, and I will just buy the phone from apple. They tell me that I will need to file a small claims to try to get my money back.

Use them if you want, but I will never use them again.

6th of Jul, 2011

You're a fool if you can't understand it doesn't get any better than ProtectCell for cellular insurance. I've worked as a sales person for an indirect agent of Verizon Wireless for a few years and now have been their director of marketing for about a year, I've seen it all. I've sold and used several different forms of insurance myself. First off you need to realize how expensive a cell phone is. You get them for a discounted price when you sign a contract, not just for Verizon but all major wireless providers. That's why there's insurance. Outside of that upgrade a brand new phone will cost you anywhere from $200-$800. And that's not some insane markup to force people to buy insurance, that's what it costs the establishment to have that phone on their shelves. The reason they can sell it anywhere from free to a couple hundred dollars is because when you sign that new contract the establishment is paid a commission from the wireless provider to cover the cost of the phone. So, the basic phone that you as a customer can get for free when you're eligible for an upgrade actually cost the business around $200, difference in cost is made up in the aforementioned commission paid by the wireless provider the agent is selling. The individual who started the complaint was most likely informed of the additional deductible, even if they weren't they were handed plenty of paper work that stated the details of their coverage. Ignorance and a lack of self responsibility is to blame for that, not the company. Every business is going to run into the problem of having something on backorder, waiting a couple days to get a phone for $90 instead of a couple hundred dollars sounds like a good deal to me. Like I said, I've worked with ProtectCell a lot, I've called claims in for customers many times never having a problem getting a hold of customer service. Don't get me wrong, I've had customers have what they claim to be bad experiences with ProtectCell. No company is going to be able to satisfy every single customer how they feel they need to be satisfied. In my personal experience the people who have customer service issues with ProtectCell (the customers I have to call claims in for and end up having zero problem getting it done the first time) aren't able to fully understand what's going on, since they don't understand what's going on they get defensive and think they're getting screwed. Don't get me wrong, they do make mistakes, just much less than the other options for insurance. As someone who's used and sold ProtectCell along with many other options, ProtectCell has been my personal favorite.

• La
      19th of Jul, 2011

Protect cell does not answer their phones. They sent me qa damged phone aas a replacement, after calling me several dqays after the replacemetn ddate to tell me to choose from tow opther phones- that my phone was discontinued. So I chose, and they sent me back the original phone, many days layter-- the aforementioned broken phone. thanbkws alot. Dont buy thios- they are absolutley useless.

• Sp
      21st of Sep, 2011

I purchased the two year plan $119 for my son's AT&T 4G Impulse phone in May from recommendation from the AT&T sales rep. Last weekend, my son lost his phone. On Monday morning I went online and filled in the claim request. I received a call at 2:30pm and the Protect Cell woman wanted to verify my mailing address. The next day, we had a brand new replacement. Drove over to AT&T and had it reactivated. The cost was $70 vs having to pay AT&T $125 so I would recommend Protect Cell and will use them again when we purchase another new smartphone.

• Gu
      30th of Oct, 2011

Recently my wife washed my iphone with my pants (not her fault, I usually plug it into the charger at night). As you can imagine I am completely upset at myself and the situation, the phone is ruined and when I called Verizon they told me that another phone was going to be $700. We are on a fairly fixed budget especially as the holidays are coming up, so I am thinking that another iphone is out of the question. I go into the store and I tell my story to the sales lady, as soon as I finished my story she asked if my wife or I had purchased protect cell. I had completely forgot that we had purchased it even though about five months earlier we used the identity theft benefit (my wifes identity was somehow stolen), which by the way I think is well worth whatever we paid for protect cell. The sales lady was able to look it up in their system to find my plan number and she even called protect cell for me. We spoke to someone immediately (no hold time, and not someone overseas) and they processed my request, there was a small processing fee but they also were able to send me another phone overnight. I received the phone the next day and from what I could tell the phone looked to be brand new.

From my experience, I am impressed with the service. When I spoke to the Verizon rep, had I bought their insurance or even apple care I would not have been covered. So to get another phone the next day for a small fee plus what we paid when we bought the phone is well worth it compared to paying $700. I don't know if the issues people had in the past are things the company has fixed or not, but in my case I am a satisfied customer. If anyone reads this forum to determine if they should buy a protect cell plan, keep in mind that these forums are typically for complaints not for compliments and people typically don't voice their positive feelings for a company. In my case, I am definately one that will get on here and blast a company for not doing something right, but I feel it is just as important to voice my opinion when I have a positive experience.

By the way, the identity theft issue they cleaned up worked out great as well. Within about a month and a half everything was cleaned up and we didn't have to do much. They just handled it. For what we paid for protect cell, this benefit alone more than paid for itself.

• Tr
      23rd of Jan, 2012

2 Brothers Communications use's Parachute Protection wich does have a $50 deductable but they will give you a bran new phone right there in store. No waiting for it to be shipped and no refurb. Why would you want a refurb if you just bought a new phone? They cover lost, stolen, water and physical damage.

• Zy
      15th of May, 2012

BEWARE of Protect Cell, They claim to (See website for mybullfrog) replace phone with new OEM or Certified replacement, compared to an uncertified refubished replacement by other insurance companies. I received a used phone as my replacement with a scratch on the camera lens and scratches on the phone. Clearly not New OEM or certified, called and said unacceptable, they told me they would need special permission to send out a new phone, permission actually came and "NEW" phone on the way. When received a plastic cover had been reapplied (Could tell by all the air bubles under it) over the screen and the date on the phone was 2010 (Two years old). Well phone looked much better, and went to a Verizon store (Mybullfrog location) to get the phone activated. after some considerable efforts (Computer keystrokes) and strange looks by the customer rep, I was notified that the phone was on the stolen list and could not be activated. Oh yea Protect Cell charged me $50 for the worthless stolen phone. Now trying to get my warranty money back as the Protect Cell warranty insurance is wothless, better to use that money to just buy a new phone. Protect Cell not being very good to work with. Don't buy the warranty, save your old phne as back up if needed. Shame on Mybullfrog for selling Protect Cell Insurance. I remember being told clearly from the customer rep when I purchased the phones that I would receive a New OEM phone as replacement, not a used phone if warranty replacement was needed`. Not the case. Called a Verizon (My bullfrog location) last week and asked about the warranty, still told would received a New OEM, not a used, or refurbished, or certified replacement, but a New OEM was the understanding the Customer rep had. BEWARE of Protect Cell Insurance.

• Pe
      20th of Aug, 2012

We bought two contracts with Protect Cell 2 weeks ago. They never sent the plan via email even though we tried to call [cant get through on the phone and they don't return phone calls). when we got the plan it states there is a 150.00 admin fee to file any claim because it's an iPhone 4s! We paid 200 for each plan. The salesman at Verizon sold us a plan stating ther was a 50 deductible. We are canceling the plan it's not worth that much to get a refurbished (stolen) phone from them.

• Is
      29th of Aug, 2012

I honestly believe that the people that complain about this insurance are complete idiots. Every type of insurance require deductibles. Whether its car, house, phone and even life insurance. You'll be paying some money for something that would cost you triple the amount. You have a buyback program with it, protect cell comes out cheaper then any other insurances, you can make numerous legitimate requests rather then 2 a year. Of course you're gonna get a refurbished phone, insurance companies would go out.of business giving out new phones for that deductible you pay. Regarding the customer service that will be a give or take on who you talk to, dont blame protect cell themselves. Bunch of stuck up kids you guys are to go and complain about the little things. Howz about you do this:

- Stop being ignorant because you can't get what YOU want.
    - Research. Be smart like the rest of us.
    - Do the math on what youre spending if you went this way rather then no insurance.

• Pr
      9th of Jul, 2013

Protect Cell is a total ripoff !!! I paid $199 for premium insurance by GO Wireless because they convinced me that it was better and cheaper. Well a year later my wife dropped her iphone and cracked the glass. I called to report the situation and get a replacement and was told that I had to pay an administrative fee. An administrative fee...$150 later. Now I have paid $350 and they send me a replacement phone that is black not white which is what my wife originally purchased. THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL RIPOFF !!! DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR INSURANCE PLAN !!!

• Li
      18th of Jul, 2013

I wish that I had read up on this also. Like the previous comment, I was convinced of the benefit of this service at the store and paid $140 up front for insurance. Then I called to get a replacement phone after mine was stolen and was told that it would be an administrative fee of $125. At this point, I could have purchased a completely new phone. Be careful of buying this plan!!!

• El
      13th of Aug, 2013

I have 3 lines, 3 separate people on my plan. Through our own stupidity, (including hammer smashing, an incident with a can of sweetened condensed milk, and dropped phones), I have had to replace several phones throughout the last 2 years. Protect Cell has been there the entire time. It is much cheaper and stress free to pay their deductible than try to replace any of our phones through the cell phone company, worrying about warranties, or outright buying a new phone. If any of you think that you can get things replaced that YOU broke without paying a deductible, YOU are delusional. And who really gives a rip if you get a black phone instead of the white you orignally purchased??!!! DOES IT WORK? YES? SHUT UP?! You are all a bunch of whiny gimme-gimmes, who can't even be grateful for the gifts you are given. I originally bought a white phone, replaced it, got a black phone, and my cell phone plan lists it as purple. Really guys? Get your priorities straight. And as far as not being able to reach the customer service, I have never, ever had a problem. By the way for people complaining about having to pay $90-$150 for a deductible...get a clue...a new cell phone without a new contract costs like $300-$800. Duh. Use the brains evolution gave you, instead of the dead butts you sit on all day.