Protect America / Save yourself a headache!

Protect America, Inc.
5100 N. IH-35, Suite B
Round Rock, TX 78681

I had a recent episode with a company called Protect America, an alarm monitoring service with whom I have been a loyal customer for over 4 years. I purchased the service in 2003, after my home was burglarized.

Unfortunately, the industry in which I am employed has been slow for the past few months. I decided it was time to start cutting back on my monthly bills to help support my family. I cancelled my home phone, cut back my internet service to basic service, cancelled my satellite TV, and cancelled my alarm monitoring service.

All the companies I contacted were fairly easy to deal with, except one: Protect America. These corporate criminals use legal binding contracts to trap customers into keeping their service. After using their service for over 4 years, I had a legitimate reason for cancelling. I simply can't afford it.

The customer service representative offered to give me a lower rate of $29.95 a month. Well, this was still significantly higher than the $17.95 a month offered by The Alarm Store, so I kindly declined the offer, and asked that she simply cancel the service. She then referred me to section 2 of the agreement, which I signed over 4 years ago. The agreement clearly states:

The initial terms of this Agreement shall be 2 years, starting on the first day of the month that Company or its Authorized Dealer installs and connects the Equipment. This Agreement will automatically continue for successive two-year renewal terms unless the Customer or Company gives written notice of cancellation to the other at least 60 days prior to the end of any initial or renewal term hereof.

There it is in black and white. I'm stuck paying $45.00 a month for service I don't even want for the next 18 months. That's $810 I could be using to buy groceries for my family. Well, being the kind-hearted people they are, they offered to cancel the account after I pay a fee of $253. That's $253 I could be using to buy groceries for my family.

Sadly, I signed the stupid agreement without knowing that 4 years down the line I would need that extra money to feed my family. So, I agreed to pay the $253 and walk away from the contract. Let this be a lesson to all the other consumers in the world looking to secure their homes. Signing a contract with Protect America is no different from allowing a criminal to walk into your house and steal cash from your home. Save yourself some money and headaches by signing up with a reputable monitoring service.

Comments

• Cr
      17th of Jul, 2008

What did you ever do to convince them to let you pay a cancellation fee? These buggers are the rudest, crudest people I have ever met.

• Dr
      17th of Sep, 2008

I am going through the anguish torment of getting rid of Protect America. I finished a 3 year contract with them, called them to cancel in advance, was told I had to send a cancelation letter, did so and then walla, I found I had been renewed for another year. Why? Well, they tell me I missed the dead line, It is and automatic if your letter isn't on time. What time? I didn't sign up for another year, Pay for what equipment I am not using No Way!!! I contacted better buisiness bureau and sure enough, Protect America calls me, not the better business. They called me four times in one morning saying if I payed $59.20 they would send me a form to cancel my account. Sounds like I am paying for the form because I sure am not using their system. The answer is still no to paying anymore to them. I fullfilled my contract now they need to fullfill their part, stop harassing me for more money.

• Mi
      24th of Nov, 2008

They are unscrupulous ###. I was fortunate enough to be put off by their strong-arm sales tactics before they even came out to look at the place, but they ignore every instruction to stop calling me and my girlfriend. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR NUMBER. DO NOT ORDER SERVICE FROM THEM. I have complained to their "customer service", their CEO, the Better Business Bureau and the Indiana Attorney General.

8th of Jul, 2009

I had the same problem. Ieven called them before ending my three year contract. They said, you have to fullfill the contract. I waited for that and february 2008 was the end date. So i called tehm to cancell. Then they said, now yours renewed for another year! You should have cancelled it 45 days prior to ending the contact! Now I became serious about it. I send them e-mail asking to cancell it right away! they did not cancel it ( iwas paying through my credit card and they kept on charging it!). But I called them many times and as you said, they kept on saying hte same thing. So, I called an attorney and asked for advise. He said, just send a certified letter to protoect america to cancell and send a copy to him. He said, if he has to go to the court, then I will have to pay him. Otherwise no need to pay!
    Well, I send it and here they calls me ASAP! I said, I need refund from the day i have completed 3 years. They argued and finally ( 29.99) i agreed and they cancelled.

just imagine, they 've got my 3 years worth money (>$1000)! Still they are GREEDY!!!

Don't ever do busines with those guys.