Proflowers / Outrageous shipping charges

United States Review updated:

I have been a customer of ProFlowers for many years and regularly purchased gifts for friends and family. When I saw the promotion entitled "40% off -- it's time to send a gift!" I went online and selected a 2-day package comprised of a floral arrangement and dipped strawberries. I saw that the "free" vase would have an additional shipping fee associated with it, so I selected "no vase". I filled out all the forms and got to the last page to review my order, then was startled by the total amount.

The "standard delivery" charge was $12.99 -- pretty high and definitely higher than competitors. Then, though I had selected "no vase, " the site reinserted my "free" vase (highlighting it at the top of the page like it was a great deal) then charged me $1.63 for promotional vase shipping. The capper was yet ANOTHER charge of $2.99 for "care and handling"?! I have to pay extra for ProFlowers not to drop the products as they put them in the box for shipment? Wow -- nearly $18 just to get my gift to the recipient, where the gift itself just cost $64. That means ProFlowers is charging 28% of the purchase price to deliver the product.

I closed down the page and did not complete the order. I believe the way ProFlowers advertised this promotion while slipping in all these additional charges borders on deceptive trade practices. I definitely will not be doing business with the company again until it charges fair and reasonable shipping fees that are clearly disclosed to its customers.

Comments

• Je
      Jan 31, 2011

@Stealth Pilot: I'm well aware how the site works. This is how nearly all floral delivery sites operate. As I said, I've been ordering from ProFlowers for many years. The "care and handling" fee was just added (though they used local florists that entire time), the standard delivery charge has gone way up, and they tried to charge extra for a vase I had specifically said I did not want.

Jun 22, 2011

• Sc
      Feb 05, 2012

What a ### website... they force you to go throught 10 pages entering everything before they will disclose delivery charges, shipping charges, bs charges... I entered fake information once I saw the scam and went on to discover their 19.95 flowers were 60.00 once you entered everytrhing to get to the last page...###... put em outa business...

Feb 06, 2012

@Scam ###: You are exactly right. They wait to the end to hit you with all the hidden charges. Really appalling how this "reputable" company tries to twist your arm into paying these usurious fees; they figure you've gone so far in the process you won't back out now. Glad you're out there to show others how *deceptive* this business practice is.

• Ca
      Apr 29, 2016

This company needs to either shut down or fix their crooked ways. They always overcharge for everything and I will never use them again!