Privacy Matters / Unauthorized billing

I had an unauthorized charge appear on my checking account via my bank card from this company. I never signed up for anything, just accidentally clicked on a link from which I then could not back up, finally having to close the web browser. I remember thinking at the time, "That makes me nervous. I hope they didn't plant anything on my computer", but wasn't too worried because I have a lot of protection. Now I have a charge and I can only think that they somehow mined the information.

At any rate I didn't sign up for anything, but have been charged. Grrr...

Va

Comments

• Zi
      13th of Jan, 2009

Checked my bank account on line and found out that PrivacyMatters.com took $19.95 out of my account. How can they do that when I never heard about them before. When I first saw the amount as pending I emailed Washington Mutual and told them not to pay them but unfortunately they did not listen to me. I too just signed up at Classmates.com. Funny that this would happen to two people right around Christmas when these companies don't expect you to check your accounts. How do I get my credit. I e mailed them, so that money better be in my a/c this week.

• Bo
      26th of Jan, 2009

While checking my bank account online today I saw a recent charge for $19.95 to a company named Privacy Matters. As I had never heard of these people I Googled it and found out who they are. One of the other Google entries was complaintsboard which, when I went here, I saw others who had the same problem.

When I called Privacy Matters and spoke to a representative and asked how they got my bank information they wouldn't tell me. They said I had enrolled, which I had not. I told them I didn't want their service and wanted a full refund which they said they would do.

The only new service I have signed up for recently was Classmates.com and I see others have had the same problem when signing up for Classmates.com. I don't know if Classmates.com is selling peoples info to PrivacyMatters but if I'm not the only person having a problem with them then they need to correct how they do business.

20th of Feb, 2009

I checked my bank account online and noticed 4 charges of $19.95 from Privacy Matters. I had NO idea who they were, so I called customer service of my bank, Bank of The West. The man I spoke with found a phone number and asked to call to see what they would say. If I wasn't satisfied, I had to call the bank back and they would have to cancel my debit card, issue me a new one and file a charge against the company.

I called the number that the Bank of The West gave me and the rep for Privacy Matters basically said she would cancel my membership and refund the last charge, but not the other 3. So, basically I would lose 59.85, which I really can't afford. When I asked how they are able to charge me, they said that I had enrolled through Classmates. com, which I never did! I told her that since they weren't willing to reimburse me, my bank would be filing a charge on my behalf.

I called the bank right back and the woman who helped me canceled my debit card so that they will no longer be able to charge me, issued me a new card that I will get in about a week, and filed a charge against the company. I will receive an affidavit that I have to sign and return.

This company is making millions, I'm sure. Some people don't pay much attention to their accounts. Someone should file a class action suit on this company. I had 2 overdraft fees on my account because when Privacy Matters took money out, other debits bounced so I am charged $32.00!

It's ridiculous and I have no clue HOW they are still allowed to operate.

20th of Mar, 2009

In early December 2008 I purchased a reverse phone number lookup report from www.intelius.com and without my knowledge I was auto enrolled with a credit monitoring service provided by Privacy Matters 123. This is a fact I did not realize until yesterday.

I noticed a charge on my checking account for $19.95 from AP9 HealthPlan. I called my bank to have the charge removed (it was currently pending). I was told they could do that but it may be easier to contact the company charging me. I explained I didn't know who they where or how to contact them. My bank was able to provide the phone number for this company, so I called them. The number is: 877.993.6264. I first spoke with Kendra employee ID# 153528. I explained the current pending charge and that I knew nothing about it and without any further explanation she told me the charge would be refunded and my 'membership' canceled. I received a confirmation email confirming this. The email stated my 'membership' had been canceled.

After I thought about it, I realized since it was a 'membership' I was probably being charged monthly. I looked over my bank records for the last 4 months and sure enough they had been charging me every month for 19.95. The charges began 2 weeks after I purchased the phone report from Intelius.com.

After seeing this I called Privacy Matters 123 back and demanded a refund for the 3 months worth of charges to the 'membership' I never had. I spoke with Ty employee # 154626. She told me she wold not be able to refund the previous charges and that refunding the current month was the best they could do.

I complained and she told me I had to confirm my purchase by entering my email twice, insinuating I knew I was enrolling for this service. I told her; NO! I entered my email twice to confirm my phone report purchase, NOT a credit monitoring service. I then told her about all the consumer credit websites with complaints about being ripped off in this manner by the company she worked for and that if she wasn't going to refund my money I would organize everyone making complaints and file a class action lawsuit! With out skipping a beat she said; wait sir, I will process your refund for all charges.

It totaled about $60, but when I think about all the people they have ripped off; I think we should band together and find a lawyer that will fight for us. Not for the money, because I doubt everyone would see a full refund, but it would shut this company down and keep them from ripping off other people.

Other useful info:

*although the pending charges where showing up as AP9 HealthPlan, when the charge went through it would actually display as Secure Home CLU.

* Privacy Matters 123 did confirm that the 'membership' was purchased through Intelius.com, so anyone using Intelius beware that you will most likely end up a victim.

• Ca
      28th of Jul, 2009

If those mystery charges hit your account within a statement cycle (30 days) the bank should have refunded you the money after an investigation. They also should have reversed any Overdraft Fees.

Did you know if the bank puts a hold on a deposited check to delay funds until the check clears you aren't supposed to be charged Overdraft or Non-sufficient Funds Fees if items attempt to clear while the item is on hold? If the check doesn't clear (for whatever reason) than you are still responsible for all fees, including a Returned Check Fee. Most managers won't tell you this, but if you see fees resulting from a Delayed Funds Hold you can request they be reversed.

• Ri
      26th of Aug, 2009

I am also outrage. The exact same thing happened to me. When I called them the customer service rep. said that if you click on the advertisement they will automatically charge your card. How can these people get away with this!!! I contacted the Better Business Bureau. You may want to do the same. I am also going to contact classmates.com.

• Ri
      1st of Oct, 2009

the same thing happened to me.. I signed up for a Free Trial on Classmates.com, cancelled my free trial well within the time frame, and today found a charge from Privacy Matters- I did not know who they were, but on the charge was a phone number so I called it... she said it was from when I signed up for the free trial on Classmates.com- there apparently was a banner that she said I clicked on- I wouldn't have clicked on a banner- and that by doing that I signed up for their service- I got a little upset... she did cancel my membership and I am suppose to be getting a refund...

• Tm
      1st of Nov, 2009

I went online to get a credit score. This company said they needed a dollar processing fee. OK, I stupidly gave them a credit card number. The next page informed me that they would be billing me 19.95 a month unless I called within seven days. I hit the cancel key. The cancel key worked just like the continue key signing me up anyway. So now I have to get in touch with them (they are only open in the mornings on weekdays). In the meantime I called the card company placing them on a dispute list for my account. But now I have the hassle of looking for the charges to show up before filing a dispute. With all the other complaints I see on this site I'm surprised the government hasn't closed these kinds of businesses down already. The only good thing to come out of this is that I've discovered this website. I intend to bookmark it and read it before doing anything else on the computer.

• In
      5th of Nov, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Tr
      14th of Oct, 2010

SCAM!!! SCAM!!! SCAM!!! After purchasing the product UGLUE on line, I received a call from the marketer of this product (so she said) offering a number of additional products, one being the Privacy Matters 123. I declined the offer only to receive a membership number with a ton of small print explaining how I would be responsible for paying for Privacy Matters and all the legal ramifications if I do not. Pretty bold considering that I did not order the product in the first place - WATCH OUT FOR PRIVACY MATTERS 123 - SCAM!!! SCAM!!! SCAM!!!