priceline.com / bad service

I was trying to book a minivan for my trip to Florida 1/18/09 to 1/25/09. I decided to try Priceline.com to get an inexpensive rate. I selected the minivan option, since the only vehicles that will work for us (we have 7 traveling) would be a large SUV or a minivan. I did the "name your own price" for a minivan for $18. It was rejected. I figured I would keep trying different increasing dollar amounts to get the cheapest rate. I then tried $19. So then a confirmation page came up and said that it was approved. However, Priceline reserved us for a MIDSIZE car which is not what I was attempting to book. I immediately called contacted customer service and they said that they would make an exception and reverse $192.49 of the total charge of $211.49, that had already been charged to my credit card. She said I would be still be charged for the price of the rental car for one day! I asked if she could resubmit my offer of $19 for a minivan which is what I was attempting to do; however, she told me that she was unable to do that. I am very upset that I am being charged $19 for a 1-day rental of a vehicle that I cannot and never intended to use, nor reserve AT ALL. The rep stated that the reservations are non-refundable and the website confirmed the type of vehicle. I explained that if I had been able to book a minivan I would have certainly wanted (and kept) the reservation because that was what I was needing and attempting to reserve. I explained that I did not see anywhere on the webpage, prior to the confirmation page, where it confirmed the type of vehicle that I was requesting. The entire time I was inputting the "name your own price" transactions I was attempting to reserve a MINIVAN. She again stated that there was nothing that she could do. I plan to continue to submit complaints via their website/email/phone, and also to contact my credit card company since I was NOT attempting to book the vehicle that Priceline assigned to me. midsize vehicle would be of no use to us during our trip and it was not was I was attempting to reserve. I did not see any type of confirmation of the vehicle type on that particular screen, before submitting the request and do not understand why I would have to pay $19 for one click of the mouse! I am in the hopes that this problem can be amicably resolved. I have emailed them and requested to please do not contact me back with "well, our policies are..." I know what the policies are, but Priceline should have the responsibility of being FAIR to its customers in this type of situation, regardless of "the policies." I know it's only $19, but to me its simply the principal of being ripped off. And, it seems that this is a common practice of Priceline. Priceline sucks!

Ia

Comments

• Va
      15th of Jul, 2008

Priceline.com has a terrible policy of keeping your money for a lengthy amount of time when THEY HAVE MADE AN ERROR! I attempted to rent a car for two weeks, using my debit card (about $350). Unfortunately, I paid for the car at Priceline.com, but was unable to pick it up at the rental car agency. Priceline admitted to their mistake of connecting me with a company that does not allow rentals when using a debit card. You think to yourself, "Simple enough. Please return my money to my debit card and I will work with the company next door, who WILL take my debit card. WRONG!! Priceline STILL HAS MY $350 and refuses to give it back in a timely manner. I'm told I may have to wait 10 days to 2 weeks while Priceline verifies that I did NOT pick up the car. Umm, won't a quick phone call take care of this? In this economy, if you're renting a car for that amount of money, then the other money you have is budgeted for your *** gas! I did NOT have enough to do another 2-week rental and to put gas in the car while Priceline holds the money hostage! Tomorrow makes 10 days and I still don't have the money back on my card! I understand that companies have policies, but companies should also consider the HUMAN FACTOR in their business. People need their money! Having a policy that basically allows a company to keep a customer's money when the company has made an error is absurd. I did everything right by noting that I would be using a debit card as I bid on my car at Priceline; yet, I have to pay for the company's error. I could understand if they kept the money a day or two while they made sure we did not actually rent the car, but TWO WEEKS!!! Join me in sending a message. Boycott Priceline.com!

• Va
      21st of Oct, 2008

Priceline's ratings of New York hotels as 4 or 3.5 stars was highly deceptive. I wound up with a reservation for a very very tiny room in a 3.5 hotel described as "upscale plus". Nonsense! The room is 144 sq. ft., that's 14X10. Customer reviews confirmed the ridiculous size. Priceline does not give you the option of rejecting or choosing hotels. You are completely dependent on their categories and choice.

I attempted to upgrade through the hotel (The Hudson on W. 58th. St.) I was told Priceline has to handle it. I phoned Priceline. They told me the hotel has to handle it. I phoned the hotel back. The very nice reservation clerk said, "I knew that would happen. They tell you that if they think you don't know what you're doing. You have to insist that they fax your request to regional otherwise they won't help you and even then they might not, but they are supposed to do it." I phoned back Priceline. Their computer was down and their customer service rep was all but unintelligible due to a foreign accent. I will continue my complaint procedure to as many receipt points as are available on the web.

• Fr
      27th of Jan, 2009

The same exact situation happened to me this evening. I was booking an SUV at Salt Lake City (headed to the mountains), for a bid of $55. Once accepted it noted I got the COMPACT CAR for $55! I was livid.

I called to complain and the same offering to you...cancel the reservations and charge me $55 fee (1 day's rental). I asked why should I pay for a priceline system mistake. They said i can call tomorrow to complain to the manager. (Ive read the blogs and I have a feeling i wont get anywhere with that).

(By the way...the Compact car is offered at $18.95/ day...and I am being charged $55/day. Isnt this system error obvious enough?)

Frustrated...

13th of Sep, 2009

A friend of mine had told me that her family members had bid for a $45 3 star hotel room on priceline and got it...for the weekend and area to which I was traveling. So, I used priceline.com for the first time to make my hotel reservations.
    I started out placing the same bid described above. The website responded that they could not meet that bid, and I would need to change my area or star rating criteria or increase my bid. I proceeded to increase my bid, rather than changing criteria. However, the site would not proceed if I did not change my criteria.

I did not need to change the location of the hotel, so I decided to research the types of hotels the service listed under 2 1/2 and 2 star hotel ratings. The 2 1/2 star hotels listed looked OK, but I saw a chain under the 2 star rating that I did not like. I proceeded to change the criteria of my bid to 2 1/2 star rated hotels and increased my bid a bit.

My bid was accepted, but by one of the hotel chains, a chain I've had bad experiences with, listed under the 2 star hotels! I informed priceline.com of this problem by both telephone and email. They refused to refund, change hotels or even admit that they misrepresented their hotel ratings on their website. Consequently, I will never use this service again, and will make sure all of my friends and family know to do the same!

• Gt
      12th of Oct, 2009

I had a very similar experience with priceline! We booked a hotel about a MONTH in advance for a trip we were talking with my in-laws. My father in-law booked the SAME hotel through Priceline as well. When we arrived at the hotel they had my in-laws reservation but not ours...after 20 minutes of calling Priceline and his "central booking office" (probably his brother punjab from the house across the street) he let us use his computer to re-print our confirmation to prove that we had a reservation and then he called Priceline AGAIN! Well finally he agreed that we could get a room but then told me that he could NOT GIVE US A ROOM WITH TWO DOUBLE BEDS LIKE WE ORDERED!!! I was absolutely FUMING! What made matters worse is that he had made the same goof regarding beds for my father in law but he set them up with a room at a hotel that they owned as well right down the road with two double beds!!! He said he was sorry but he could not do the same thing for us. I got on the phone and called priceline and first of all got a middle-eastern man named Mike(yeah...right) I explained the situation to him and he said he would have to transfer me. After being placed on hold for like 10-15 minutes he transferred me to ANOTHER middle eastern man named bob...BOB!!! (I'm not making this stuff up!!!) Habib...oh wait I mean Bob said he would have to call the hotel himself and talk to the manager and he put me on hold for another 35 minutes!!! When he came back on the line he said that the owner had done everything he could to accommodate us and he was sorry but there was nothing he could do. I said well you are priceline so find me another two double bed room in this town. He said he was sorry but there was nothing he could do but we could still have the room with the single double bed if we wanted it or he could refund our money. I told him I did not want that room I wanted what they PROMISED ME!!! In broken English he said he was sorry there was nothing he could do. I had him refund the money and I went down the road and spent a little more to stay at an AMERICAN run establishment that was amazing. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE PRICELINE!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

• Ro
      2nd of Aug, 2010

I had a terrible experience at a hotel booked through them-absolutely the worst hotel ever...
    I have booked with them many times only 4 or 5 star hotels. They have always been nice until this last stay. I called to complain and of course no one to talk to. I was referred by the phone to fill out form on site. I have done this and still no help. I usually would blow it off if a minor issue but this was crazy...

• Th
      15th of Jun, 2011

The same thing happened to me only through pricing a hotel. I requested a hotel or motel along the NJ beach. I was then prompted that just in case we (Priceline) can't get you on the beach, select 3 of the 6 or 7 areas near my destination in NJ. I thought w/ all the hotels and motels beach side this should not be a problem. I randomly selected 3. It then began calculating and put me at 1.7 hrs drive away from my original request. To add insult to injury I never was prompted to confirm. It just put me there and said that the transaction was complete. Frustrated, I called to cancel and was told well since you purchased the insurance you have like 90 days to use the room. Needless to say, the sale was complete, I had no say in the final selection and I'm being hasseled through the travel insurance purchased through priceline because I canceled the trip. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my entire life. I won't stop telling this story ever :-( Next stop...Facebook!!