Pottery Barn / Williams-Sonomaunethical behaviour

I am writing today after thinking and thinking how I should proceed with this situation.

I have to confess that I am still in shock and I cannot believe how I am giving another person the power to make me feel inferior. Here is my story:

On December 23 I was visiting the Woodlands Mall and I decided to enter with my family to your Pottery Barn Kids Store. We saw some rugs/carpets on sale on one corner. I chose one that my son liked and I went to the cashier to ask how much would the final price be. Mr. Anthom helped me and he gave me the final price (around $50). There was not any conversation with Mr. Anthom, other than the price check and the transaction. My son was happy with his “new” rug.

After few days the rug started shedding a lot. My son’s allergies got worst and he kept sneezing more than ever.

Because I live in Sugar Land (1hr away from the woodlands) I had to plan our next trip to return the rug/carpet after the holidays.

On January 7th around 4:30pm I went back to the Pottery Barn Kids Story (by myself) and I stood up at the cashier for 15 minutes and two ladies that were there did not even say hi to me, they were looking at their computers. So, I said “excuse me could you please help me with a return?” One lady looked at me and asked me for a receipt (which I did not have it). So, she told me to look to my email for an electronic receipt, I tried to look at it, but all I got was a welcome and offer email. At that moment, Mr. Anthom came to the register space, so the lady said, “she wants to return/exchange the rug, but does not have a receipt.” She left me with Mr. Anthom and I briefly told him what happened with the rug and my son’s allergies. He was so intimidating, he approached me and said “I remember you, and I told you that time those rugs at the corner are on sale and are final sale…we cannot do anything…those rugs are final sale because they have been used” When he said “used”, I said “used??? First of all Mr. Anthom you never mentioned those rugs are final sale and I would never buy used rugs.” He said “yes we use some of those for display or…. you see that big rug at the corner (pointing at it) that was mine and I have a dog…. and…. so I brought it back” I could not believe what he was saying, he was telling me that I cannot return my rug, but he said he did return his rug…I was so confused. So, I wanted to leave and I said, “So, do I have any options?” and he said “yes you have options: you can put your rug on another room, other than your son’s who is allergic, you can throw it away or I can throw it away for you.” He looked at me waiting for an answer with a sarcastic smile. I felt so humiliated, that just got my rug and left the store.

For some reason, that I still don’t know, Mr. Anthom was condescending the whole time and made me feel inferior. I still don’t understand why things were handled this way with him. The other lady was at least trying to help, she even mentioned that I can vacuum the rug many times and after few months it may stop from shedding.

Johana Lopez