Playphone Ringers / Charge to Cell Phone Bill

1 IA, United States Review updated:

I was completing an IQ test on Facebook's website and was asked for a phone number in order to receive a PIN - next thing I notice a $14.99 charge on my cell phone bill to Playphone, Inc: Ringers. I didn't accept any service, I didn't sign up or download any ringers. I was lucky that my cell phone company (Sprint) did reverse the charge and I have now blocked 3rd party access to my cell phone account. This is downright fraud - how can they attach charges to your cell phone and then require you to fight to get the charge removed? Can't something be done to stop this - it looks like it is a HUGE problem?

Ro

Comments

8th of Apr, 2009

I just received the same message on my phone, and I hadn't even done anything like an IQ test or other SPAM like facebook garbage! I'm trying to find out how they got my info, this type of 'opt-out' marketing is illegal in Canada and I'm going to make sure they know it.

• Nj
      10th of May, 2009

I had the same ripoff experience. What is going on? Is Sprint in collusion with this white collar crime. I will not pay these charges and I am going to the Sprint Office on monday and raise hell. This is outrageous
    !!

• Mi
      1st of Jun, 2009

It's not just Sprint. I have AT&T and am having the same issue. They took it off my bill last month and "PlayPhone Inc" charged my number AGAIN! I even replied stop to the code that is on my bill and they responded with "You do not have a subscription to this service" IF I DONT HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION, THEN WHY ARE THESE ###S CHARGING MY ACCOUNT? ? ?

• Va
      1st of Jun, 2009

I have just received my bill from Sprint and I have the same problem. No one to call to stop this and Sprint won't help at all. I have asked this to be stopped and or cancelled and I am still getting charged. How does someone get this off of their phone?

• Ro
      19th of Jun, 2009

I actually filed a complaint with the BBB and recieved a response from PlayRingers, Inc. They actually asked for my personal information; phone #, email address, etc... so they could "research" my account with them - are they kidding!!! Do they think I'm an idiot - obviously I didn't respond. However, Spring can and did block 3rd parties from accessing my account - since that has been done, I haven't incurred any additional charges. Check with your phone company to see if they can block 3rd parties also.

17th of Aug, 2009

I have sprint too and I'll be goin to the office tomorrow to show my whole azz!!! I'm not paying no dam $261.84 for some BS charge!!!

• Bo
      21st of Aug, 2009

Just had the same thing happen on my Sprint bill ... neice showed up with a 14.99 charge ... followed the directions of the previous post. Sprint was kind enough to credit the $14.99 and also put the block on each number on our account. Thanks for taking the time to post your response!!!

• Vi
      24th of Sep, 2009

I am sitting here looking over my account right now and I have two charges on my bill on for the $14.00 and a charge for send me cont 778899 . also I did not sign up for any of this and I am calling my print acct to also have these taken off as I did not ask or want to be charged for them.

Vickie

• Sc
      27th of Nov, 2009

The charges suck, I've had the same problem. I feel dumb but it's the last time I'm giving out my phone number or other personal info. I didn't even know you could access the account with just a phone number. Mercifully Sprint was pretty good about lifting the charges from my bill as well as blocking 3rd party access to my account.

One heads up about Sprint: You have to request the removal of the charges, they won't do it automatically. Also they'll only remove half the amount you've been charged upon the initial request. I pressed on with the request to remove 100% of the charges and they did comply eventually. It's just a heads up that they can remove it all but will be reluctant to do so initially.

• He
      19th of Jan, 2010

This is a premium Txt Charge!!! It is a SCAM its from some sort of subscription or you intering your number or txting something on TV example "American Idol polls, Ringtones txt number to blah blah blah" BUT your numbers are also recyclable so say you go get a cell the number your recieving could be from jo blow who possibly may have had this problem and got that number disco so in order for you to have this removed you need to ASK is this a PREMIUM TEXT MESSAGE. If you get a 5 digit text reply also w/ the STOP and by doing both of those things having your company cancel or block all Prem. Txt Messages and by replying you shouldnt be further charged "FYI" VERIZON will credit your account if you ask nicely 99 percent of the time if this isnt an ongoing problem and your a valued customer w/ a good payment history. (I worked for them for a little while they are pretty good about these things) These premium txt messages happen to alot of ppl and you would be surprised just by someone putting in your number on polls or anything online this can happen to you. so just pay attention to your bill, b/c alot of the times if you dont notice in a timely matter your just out of luck, and FYI I googled this company b/c I found this on my daughters line by filling out some stupid FACEBOOK IQ test (3rd party company/SCAM) has nothing to do w/ facebook, but she entered in her number also and yes I am a victim now. lol.

• He
      19th of Jan, 2010

Oh and yes the CELL companys WILL refund up to 3 months worth of charges (I know verizon will) but you have to not let them bully you they try to BARGAIN to see how much they can keep out of you, but if you get a person that isnt nice you can always hang up and call someone else and you might have a better person the second time around!!! just another FYI so dont give in even if you have to threaten to speak to manager they dont like that. lol

26th of Mar, 2010

I've been charged twice for $13 a month. After I called the 1866-853-9793 to remove my number, it only stopped for 1 month, and it started again! On this month's phone bill I found out that I got charged $13 on Mar.21, and 2 days later I received text from playphone telling me that I got 10 credits, which I was never asked for. This is absolutely froud! It's criminal! Wwhen I once again contact Rogers, I've been told there's nothing they can do to credit me back! I'm so mad!!!

• Un
      9th of Aug, 2010

i just got my (sprint) phone bill and i got that same issue im not paying 14.99 for something i didn't ask for this is a total ripoff

• Me
      13th of Oct, 2010

Just FYI to everyone... this is a robbery service; but the carrier's (Sprint, Att, etc) arent innocent in all of this either. Believe it or not, they're getting a cut of all of the money these company's rob from you and arent doing anything concrete to make sure you're safe.. b/c they're making billions off of it ever year.

Let's put it this way... out of every $10 you pay to these companies, Att/Spring/VZW makes $3-$4. Do you really think they're going to try and shut down easy money like that?! It's rediculous and the only way it's going to be stopped is if a national presence steps forward and enforces some serious penalties to this kind of action.

The carriers need to be punished first and foremost.. Once they start being punished, all of these companies won't be able to survive b/c the carrier's will cut them off.

Trust me... i used to work for one of these companies and felt dirty going to work every single day.