Platinum Services / Unauthorized debits & charges!

1 CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-433-4096

On 11-9-07 a debit of $49.95 unauthorized by me was debited from my account, on 11-15-07 a electronic check #49354 in the amount of $49.95 was debited from my account without permission also in addition to this two charges one on 11-19-07 for $14.95 and on 12-03-07 for $14.00 was debited. This totals out to the amount of $128.85 taken from my account by Platinum Services without permission. I have received no credit card nor have I applied for a card that would take from my personal account whenever they want. I have turned this case over to the fraud dept my bank offers.

Comments

Na
  31st of Jan, 2008

Well these people just took $49.95 from my bank account a few days ago and I told the bank I did not authorize this and they said I had to call the company but all you get are recorded messages and none of them have anything to do with getting your name removed and have them credit you account back with the money they stole from you. I am going to my bank tomorrow morning and close all my accounts and go to a new bank. I am on social security and sure cannot afford charges being made to my acounts by people that I don't even know. Its bad enough that I have to pay rent and bills just to live every month without having these unsrupulous people taking money from those of us that cannot afford it.

Je
  8th of Feb, 2008

I am glad I didn't buy into these people. I just got a call from "Platinum services" offering me a free round trip to an exotic location for two of my choice, and a free digital camera. They told me that my family was one of the lucky ones chosen for this, and all I would need to do is give them my bank account number so that all I would have to pay was a $1.95 shipping and handling fee. I smelled a dead fish right away and told the guy (he spoke with an Arabic accent) that I would be able to do that, but possibly give them a debit card number to make the transaction instead. Just to be cautious, I was going to use my H&R Block income tax return card that only has a few dollars left on it anyway, with no chance of over-drafting because once it is out of money, no more can be taken out. To my surprise, they didn't accept any transactions like that... only bank account numbers. I told the guy that my daughters had just woken up at that time to get off the phone with him and see if they could call me back later so I could discretely check them out online, and he had the nerve to interrupt me and ask me to "kindly be put on hold". So I accepted to be put on hold just to see how far these people would go to try and push something like this on me. Well, I wasn't exactly put on hold, nor did I even hear the phone being passes from one person to another... not even a click... the same guy started talking on the phone trying to disguise his voice! Hearing an Arabian (or whatever nationality he is, not to be disrespectful) trying to disguise his voice is really something, so I just hung up, and here I am! This company really needs to be investigated, and shut down!

Ag
  1st of Mar, 2008

I just got that same phone call 5 minutes ago. The Platinuum Service guy wanted 1.95 to ship the free camera and vacation package. I asked upfront before the conversation got any further if this package was some sort of buying something on credit deal. He said no so the conversation went on. He then explained this vacation package and free camera deal and needing money to pay the shipping fee. He asked what bank I would be using to pay this fee. I told him I wouldn't be using a bank ( or check) to pay the fee and that I would be sending him a money order instead ( I knew he'd try to talk me out of a money order). He then told me that his company sometimes doesn't get the money orders (this made no sense to me at all) and that all he wanted to know was the name of the bank and not any account numbers. That is so stupid. I still wouldn't give the name of my bank to him. I told him that I don't give that kind of information out to strangers even though it was only the name of the bank ( there's no telling what he could pull on me even with that little of information). Anyway, I told him point blank that I refuse to carry this conversation any further and hung up on him.

Da
  5th of Mar, 2008

I have been debited at least one hundred dollars by this platinum services. My bank insisted that they could do nothing and gave my a phone number for the company. I called the company and they insisted that i had signed up on line for a "$1000" credit towards any merchandise that i purchase on their website. Of course that service requires a "maintenance fee of $50 to start and anywhere from $15 to $30 a month. That is ridiculous as i barely have enough money to feed my kids and would never fall for a scam like that. So i insisted that my account with them be canceled and my checking account be credited. of course they don't credit past debits. So i insisted any account with them be canceled. That was a month ago and yesterday i got another debit of $15 from my account. I called in again and the representative insisted that while i canceled one account with them, i hadn't canceled a second account. I was pissed now. I told the rep that i had asked to have any account with them canceled. and his reply was, "well, you have to be specific sir". This is a blatant scam. I never signed up for anything with these people. They must have gotten my account from some insecure transaction that i made at some point and figured that i just wouldn't notice the debits. Before i called the company i had received no communication about this account that i had set up. No email, letter, call or any method of confirming some account set-up. I would imagine such a thing would have caught my attention faster than accounting for all the debits in my bank statement.

Ku
  11th of Mar, 2008

Well, these are guys from INDIA making the calls. I can tell from their accent, i'm from there.

I've received 7 calls over from 3/8/08 through 3/11/08 from several people. I've yelled at them and i've abused them over the phone cuz i know the moment i give them my bank account number, i'm f**ked.

Is there a way we can file a criminal complaint? Essentially these are frauds calling using someone else's name trying to lure us into giving our personal account details so they can start stealing.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sa
  22nd of Mar, 2008

I just got a call from them, they went through this whole thing, I even told them that I wasn't over 18 (Which is true) and they said please just let me explain. well the convorsation goes on as you guys said and I didn't give them any information at all from me and the even asked again if I was over 18 and I said no but they still went on explaning. I finally got mad enough I just hung up.

that was about 3 months ago.

Now they are doing the same thing to me, this time it's a lady, but they called me 3 times over the last 2 days, I need it to just stop, who should I tell about this?

De
  27th of Mar, 2008

If the government doesn't do anything about this then our country is run by cowards. This is why off shore job loss is killing America they are using foreigners to essentially rob Americans while we are being taught and encouraged that trusting these people is being fair and resonable. Other wise we would just hang up.

Ta
  30th of Mar, 2008

Got calls from them for 5 times in last week. Every time from a different person. One of them is Arabic for sure. There are many arabic ( persian) people in my class, thats how i can be so sure about that guys accent. I looked over the web and found that there is an insurance company by the same name.

Same thing happened ""1.95$ for shipping = digital camera +trip to Hawaii"" I just said "Oh my god not again" and hung up on him without listening any further. How do htese guys get out information. Does the websites like buy.com, newegg, abebooks or amazon sell it to them?

La
  3rd of Apr, 2008

Hi, I just literally received one of these calls asking for $1.95 wanting my checking account information, i refused he kept telling me how i could call my bank and insist that the check only be cleared for $195, when i again told him no; he ask me to check out his website www.universalbenefitsclub.com I did it had no link's it was a page.
Then i check out Platinum Services Scams and guess what, there they were, same scheme probably the same guy from India, I don't recall ever meeting anyone from India with the name of "Kevin Roger's " with a accent so strong it was barely audiable, and believe me I speak several langauages and i have been to been to a great many countries this was not Kevin Rogers in any land.
Then he even informed that they were calling from an internet source site, what a surprise, running a scam from a free untraceable portable. Well if I am going to be Screwed I like to be kissed. I then advised while on the phone that i had reserched his company for complaints, and he tried to tell he had no idea what i was talking about, and ask me for a $1.95 again. he continued to argue, wanting me to look at his website again, cause that would prove to me that they were legitimate. my advised as a CPA dont ever give your information to anyone regardless of their accent' if you can't call them back or research their so called company before coiughing up any money or you'll lose the special deal. Believe me it will be the ride of your life if you do.

Best Wishes,

Lawanna Littlefoot

La
  3rd of Apr, 2008

Please disregard some of the typo's in the previous submission, I was a little P... Off, and some times my brain goes faster than my fingers. but i think everyone get's the meaning of message.

again,

Lawanna Littlefoot

Br
  8th of Apr, 2008

This is definitely a scam. They told me I was going to receive information regarding an internet service, and they also told me I would receive a free digital camera and a trip somewhere or another. They recorded me confirming my bank account and authorizing 1.95 and they told me I would automatically be charged for a service after 14 days if I didn't call and cancel. I was not told an amount, I was not told any other information. Like an idiot, I agreed. Then I went to my sisters wedding in Pensacola Beach, and I came home and immediately moved out into a new place. My sister handed me some package one day and it was from Platinum Services. It was filled with papers...and pills. "All Natural Pills" so they say. I threw it in my car knowing that I needed to cancel this, however I couldn't get through to anyone till my bank was charged over 160 dollars and I did some research on how to get intouch with these people. I'm fresh out of college, living paycheck-to-paycheck and that 160 dollar charged made me overdraft 400 dollars due to be unaware of the charges. I finally got ahold of them and explained how messed up it was and the lady could care less. She was happy as a peach keeping my 160 dollars. Moral of the story, it's a scam. If you have agreed to anything, call and cancel IMMEDIATLEY. It's not like you acutally get a camera or a trip out of it anyway.

Ch
  10th of Apr, 2008

I was just talking to that arabic guy. Now he's calling me back because I hung up. The man told me his name was John Smith... are you kidding me?? That's ridiculous! I'm pissed that they are trying this hard to scam people.

Ta
  19th of Apr, 2008

They called again. I told them since i am an undergraduate student, i dont have a checking account and i am 17 years old. Though i can give them a "university check" which they can en cash at the university ( i knew that they will not accept it.) She asked if any of my relatives has a checking account? I said i dont have any relatives here and none of my friends has a checking account.

If they call, dont tell them that you are not interested, instead tell them that you dont have a checking account.
Otherwise they will keep on calling. period.

Gu
  20th of Apr, 2008

okk...i just got the same phone call and i stupidly believed them and gave them my information..what do i do???? should i call the bank and cancel any sort of money being transacted from my acount??? someone helppppp

Ap
  22nd of Apr, 2008

i, as with all of you, just got off the phone with the arabian guy. he told me his name was john. he is acutally calling me back now because i hung up on him. i almost fell for it with my boyfriend's birthday coming up, luckily i didn't. i asked if he could just call me back at a later time, but he kept insisting i give him my account number. something didn't sound right. so i decided to look them up on the internet, and i ened up here.

Ke
  28th of Apr, 2008

I too was offered that same thing of a digital camera and trip for $1.95. This agent repeatly did not take no for an answer so I finally gave in. Now just a few days ago, I saw a transaction for $169.95 taken out of my account without my permission by using a generic check #. I am yet to get in touch with them. I am very angry and I want my money refunded to me!

Ni
  29th of Apr, 2008

I Wish that I would have found this site sooner! I gave in, but nothing has been deducted from my account. I bank with Wachovia, this is my first bank Account because I am a college student and I am inexperienced about such thing. I will call Wachovia tomorrow and let them know whats going on because I CAN NOT afford to lost anything. A person already called about giving me the airline tickets but, it is in Virgina. The only reason why I gave in was because they were so persistant and when I changed my mind and hung up, after asking me for my account number and routing number, They called right back to continue, they said that there is no way that the bank would allow anyone to withdraw with just that info. I AM SUCH AN IDIOT! Once I get this straight I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!!! I want to know what will be done about this, because these are the type of people how should BURN IN HELL FOR THIS MESS!!!

Ed
  30th of Apr, 2008

I was a little more fortunate. I received the same phone call last night ( 29 Apr). The first person had a very heavy accent and I commented that I had a lot of trouble understanding him. Then the accent and name changed. I kept asking how it worked and asked for their phone number. I said I'd like to think about and call back. He asked about my bank and I told him I wouldn't give that information. I asked again how can they charge 39.95 a month and provide a $100 gas voucher. He never really explained. I kept after that and he finally decided he wasn't getting anywhere and abruptly stated that I didn't deserve Platinum Services. Something tells me I got myself of the list.

An
  8th of May, 2008

I'm in the same situation folks! They caught me at night, insisited everything was free but a one time fee of 1.95..I was even passed on to a manager (I couldn't understand him) bad accent..
Well it's been a couple days and It figures their site is not valid! I've called today but so far answering machines! I'm going to call first thing in the morning! I can't afford to have $160. taken from me either!

Don't anyone give up, usually I don't agree to things like this but we all make mistakes! Good Luck to everyone and let this be a lesson learned!

Mi
  10th of May, 2008

I receive calls from these "people" all the time. However, I have never given in to them. I have had seom fun playing with them though. Giving random account information, home addresses, , repeating things they say, and just confusing the hell out of 'em. I've given them a piece of mind, only to have supervisors call back and threaten to use my account information to empty my checking account. Boo friggen hoo!!

The biggest problem I see with these types of scams is, we give in to our consumer "needs", but it is mostly GREED. "Something for almost nothing? Hey, I'm in!" Think about it... what (these days) costs $1.95 to ship? Certainly not a digital camera. Stop letting your greed override your instinct and gut feelings.

What ALL of you who fell for the scam have to remember is... if you didn't sign-up for anything, and you receive these calls or emails that you've won something, there's a 99.99999% chance it's a scam. The people on the other end of the phone may not even realize who they're working for. They're just working in a call center, with a scripted call manual. They're just trying to earn a buck, while the real scammers (the company owners) are taking your hard-earned money.

If you want to win things, or get free stuff, sign-up for it LEGITIMATELY. Even the legitimate contests are scams. The just bombard you with phone calls, email spam and junk mail once they have your info. Just work hard, save your money "the old fashioned" way, invest, or start your own [honest] business, and you can get the things that make you happy.

Be safe out there!