Philips / Magnavox LCD TV / WARNING: Do not buy a Philips/Magnavox product!

After numerous unproductive calls to the Magnavox Customer Support Line and as a last resort I have written a letter to Magnavox to demand a full refund for an LCD TV Magnavox LCD, Model: 32MF1D/37 Serial: BZ3A0609170320. I purchased this TV on 4/21/2006. The TV began having issues on 6/15/2006. The unit would not respond to the remote or to manual commands. The unit would turn off periodically by its self and/or the screen would go blank with the power remaining on. I have taken this TV to two separate repair shops. The TV sat in the first repair shop for a month and a half July 2nd thru September 1st, while Magnavox failed to ship the desired part, a CBA Sealer, to the authorized dealer. I then took the TV to a second repair shop, where the TV has currently been for a month and 1/2, hoping to have a better outcome. This repair shop is stating the same issue, that Magnavox has not sent the part. When I call Magnavox Customer Support I get absolutely no where. I have attempted to order the part myself directly from Magnavox and was turned away. Since Magnavox has stated they are unwilling to send me the part and for one reason or another Magnavox has been unable to send the part to the repair shop with in the 3 ½ months and counting I wrote a letter demanding a full refund. If I do not receive a response to resolve this issue I will be filing a claim in Florida against Magnavox in the amount of the TV. WARNING: Do not buy a Phillips/Magnavox product.

Jon
Naples FL

Jo
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Me
      20th of Feb, 2009

I have a 42inch that I bought at target, it worked fine for over a year. My issue is this black blob, like a shadow. It is not a burn in spot either because it is growing. It started as a small black shade and i thought DAMN LCD'S DONT BURN IN?
    Then this blob has grown. You can see through it and it is not that bad when watching cartoons but some other stuff it is really clear and annoying.
    Anyone else having a Blob issue? When I look at it real close it looks like maybe there is dust inside the screen just building up but then i think thats cant be possiable. After reading all of this I guess anything is possiable.

My set turns on and off just fine. I have tried putting the TV on a full white screen and turned the brightness all the way up and no change. People have asked if I put a somthing magnetic on the screen. Come on man this is a TV not a Fridge why in the hell would i place anything magnetic on my tv!!!

Of course it is out of warranty and of course Magnavox was NO HELP. They blamed me when I called them!! Like I would wait a year and then break my tv? WTF?

Anyone have any idea's?

If you all think it is a power issue like everyone else is having can someone PLEASE post a YOUTUBE video on do it yourself fix.
    I am smart but I have not a clue what to look for once I open this bad boy up.

If you have fixed you TV PLEASE help everyone else by posting a video on how to fix it.

• Ba
      26th of Mar, 2009

How about a recall on the 37MF231D LCD TV!
    The numerous complaints should tell the company something.
    I won't purchase another Magnavox now that ours won't turn on after 1 year.

• Ru
      11th of Apr, 2009

Update: I removed the metal shroud that was covering the (PS) power supply. Even though I DID infact replace (3) Caps 2074, 2079 and 2080, still did the same thing when I put everything back together. It would turn itself off after a few minutes...THEN, I took off the back AND the metal shroud over the PS and noticed when I turned the TV on the heat sinks would get super hot. I took a fan and turned it on medium and blew it onto the bare open-back and now the tv stays on...works fine.
    This means there's a thermal shutoff reset circuit on the PS.

Putting the PS inside a poorly vented shroud AND covering it with a poorly vented plastic back is causing the PS to shut itself off.
    I will go to a surplus store and buy a big DC computer fan, mount it onto the plastic case and manually switch it on(so now I can put my plastic backing back on).

22nd of Sep, 2009

I had the blinking light problem and I read thru several sites like this one. On one of those (not sure which since I read so many) I saw the problem was the capacitor located on the circuit board marked # 2074. I decided to give it a shot and got it to work. Paid about $5 for the capacitor @ Radio Shack and used some solder paste with the flux mixed in (already had that from Lowe's). Even though I can't solder for you know what...My TV works great now. I took some picts and you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42205742@N02/
    They aren't in the right order, but they may help. Good luck!

• Je
      30th of Sep, 2009

NO MAGNAVOX. THE SOONER THOSE PEOPLE ARE ALL UNEMPLOYED THE BETTER. I JUST HOPE THE CEO AND HIGHER PAID PEOPLE IN THAT COMPANY END UP AS STREET PEOPLE. MAYBE THEN THEY WILL SEE HOW SCREWING PEOPLE DOES NOT PAY. BUT EVERY EMPLOYEE OF MAGNAVOX HAS THE SAME ATTITUDE PROBLEM. "WE SOLD IT, IT IS YOUR PROBLEM". THEU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE IN BUSINESS. GET THE WORD OUT NO MAGNAVOX!

• Br
      11th of Jan, 2010

Our 37" Magnavox was having the same issues posted here. Blinking light. My husband and I FIXED it for only $5 and an hour of our time. People stop complaining and give it a try. What do you have to loose? It was a very easy fix.You will need to remove the old capacitor, solder the two wires on the new one in then put it all back together. That is it. If you feel unsure about where to put parts back, take pictures for review. I used the same 2200 @ 35v capacitor like the person that posted the pics from this site.

Very helpful by the way.

19th of Jan, 2008

Got the same problem with my phillips LCD. I was using it in monitor mode and thought I'd bumped the remote's power button, unit powers up green light stays on but only gives a short flash to the screen. Day 3 troubleshooting and I can find nothing wrong with the power board :( My only choice is either trash it or gamble 30$ on a schematic and pray lol. If I can fix it great if not then no more lcd or plasma units for me till they fix em

• Pe
      29th of Jan, 2008

I am also have the same issue. I purchased a 37 inch digital LCD model no. 37MF337. After about two months the picture would go out and only sound works. Recently the sound would go out but the picture stays on. The few times I have turned the TV off it takes hours to get it going again. Last night the electricity went out in my ouse and now the TV will not turn on at all. the power button just keeps flasing like it is going to turn on and it will not respond to the remote or manually. I will NEVER buy this brand again. what a joke

• Hi
      8th of Jul, 2008

Yup...LCD model 37MF231D...after 16 months great use, TV won't power on without minimum of 3 tries. Green light flickers, glows brightly, goes off. Try again and it may come on, may not...try again, same thing. So far, it eventually comes on, but takes longer and longer. I suspect it'll quit altogether, based on forum talk from other owners. And Magnavox seems to very consistent with their service (of the LOUSY variety...no wonder their website doesn't accept email). How DO they get their FAQ's?

• Ra
      12th of Apr, 2008

Oh...and I didn't finish about the remote...when I called about it a month after the 3 month warranty ended it was because the thing was actually broken because the batteries (yes, the ones that came with the unti) corroded inside the remote.

22nd of Jul, 2008

Hahaha all you people are n00bs and suck

• Br
      25th of Jun, 2009

I JUST BOUGHT A MP3 AND DID NOT WORK I PUT IN NEW BATTERIES AND DID NOT WORK!! I WANT A REFUND!!!

• To
      15th of Jan, 2010

I posted a fix for this problem on 1/3/09. Did you see my fix before you replaced your faulty capacitors?

Tom
    West Virginia

• Te
      4th of Sep, 2007

I too bought a Magnavox LCD TV. Model number 42MF521D. Within 6 months the tv had issues with the power shutting off on its own. Then the last time it did that and will not come on at all. The power board is fried. When I called Magnavox I did get help and they have sent an authorized repairman to my residence to solve the issue. My only complaint about the call center is that the people that work there seem uneducated and lazy (the way that they talk on the phone and handle business over the phone). Sounds like a bunch of hungover college students that do not want to help. But they are replacing the faulty power board in the tv at no cost.

• Pa
      3rd of Dec, 2007

We recieved a 32" Magnavox model MS32525431 at Christmas 2004. We opened it and turned it on Christmas eve, and when we got up the NEXT MORNING it would not turn on. I spent the better part of the following business day trying to get something done on the phone about it, only to have it turn on about the 15th time I tried it while talking to the service center. It was only 87 days int0 the warranty when they decided to replace the "Whole Insides". It worked well for about 6 months and began to turn itself off while watching a program. This went on for about a year, and then you would have to turn it on numerous times before it would stay on, or change the channels repeatedly for up to 80 times before it would stay on. Finally at the ripe old age of 2 years and 2 months of age, it would no longer turn on at all. It has been sitting in my living room floor for the past 9 months where it has been temporarily replaced with a $50 RCA
    from a garage sale. Christmas is coming again and I will have to explain to my daughter and son-in-law why the TV they purchased is not working. I also have in my basement a Zenith that was purchased in March of 1981 that still works... knob is broken, but it still turns on and works. I feel that we have been stiffed and would like to do something about it, but don't know where to start. Any Ideas?

• Ga
      16th of Dec, 2007

Here's another customer complaint involving yet another Magnavox Television. I purchased a 50" DLP Model #50ML8105D/17 on 3/19/06. I had two service issues with it while under warranty with it just going out while watching it. Well, wouldn't you know? Three weeks outsided of warranty it broke again. After numerous calls to customer service (in Phillipians) and much frustration with out getting very far, I was finally contacted by someone here is the U.S. Magnavox did agree to pay for the parts and I would be responsible for the labor. I agreed and said that was fair considering it was in fact just out of warranty. When I called the repair center to set up service, the tech told me they would probably replace my unit because they had tons of problems with that particular model and they were giving customers new units. For whatever reason, they didn't replace mine, they repaired it. It costs me $310.00 out of pocket expenses. It's now 13 months I've owned this unit I've already had to fork up cash on it. Now, six months after having the unit repaired, it broke again. Doing the same thing as before. I was irate! I called Magnavox, faxed them my original sales receipt as well as the receipt for repair and asked if they would at least push back on the service center since the center said they had replaced all internal parts, or if they would repair the unit again considering the history of poor performance with this (these) particular units. Once again, I got run-around after run-around with customer service and someone said they would contact entitlement and would have the unit fixed again since it was doing the same thing as before. Well, someone in customer service lied. I spoke with a very rude lady in entitlement that said Magnavox would not repair the television. I even explained to her that if the repair shop had repaired it to new just as they said they had, technically this unit is only six months old. Even if she didn't want to go under that premise then here we go again with a unit that's poorly manufactured and now we're back to square one with the fact that they should have replaced it like the others. She adamantly said no. She even told me to feel free to complain about it if I wanted because they would not repair the television. She even encouraged me to get on the website and complain because they would do nothing about it. She made me feel as though I was the problem. She had a horrible attitude. I explained to her that I had done nothing by purchase their product. Now, I being penalized for doing just that, purchasing their product. I promise I will never buy another Magnavox product, neither will my family or friends especially not after I've share this story.

• Co
      27th of Dec, 2007

We bought a 30 Magnavox LCD in November 2005. this past November 2007 the thing died. Magnavox's parts are over $300, which doesn't make it worth repairing. The repair shop said he has had nothing but problems with Magnavox/Phillips. Circuit City said just about everyone they sold came back defective. Where is the recall, Magnavox? I would be interested in joing a class action law suit against Phillips and Magnavox based upon all of the problems they have had.

Beware, the new brands (Insignia, etc) you haven't heard of will probably have similar problems. They don't have technical support if something goes wrong. You won't save money buying these cheap brands.

9th of Jan, 2008

I have a 19in HD lcd magnavox that my brother gave to me because he was sick of trying to get it to work. It will turn on if it has been off for a few days and stay on anywhere from 10min- 2hours and then the picture decides to go blank. Somtimes the sound stays on when this happens, other times the sound will go out first and the picture will stay on for a few more min.

On top of all this there is a green line running down the center of the screen that will not go away. After a few min of the tv being on more green specks will start to form all around the rest of the screen and then it will turn off a few min later.

Im (expletive) about the whole thing. The company is no help and any repair service I contact doesnt know why its doing any of the things it does.

Any one out there know why its doing this?

• Tr
      12th of Jan, 2008

I also have a 32" Magnavox projection tv that I purchased in 2002, Model number MS3250 C321. About 6 months after I puchased it, the tv started powering off on its own, or the picture would go blank and cut off. I cut it back on and it would stay on a few minutes and then off again. After about 30 minutes of cutting the tv back on when it goes off , it will finally stay on. I never cut it off anymore, I just mute it and go to bed. Even then after a couple of days it will go off and I have to start that off and on cycle over again. What a rip off.

• We
      13th of Jan, 2008

I bought a 37" magnavox at walmart on 5/15/07 , and it stopped working 12/31/07. It won't come on anymore, light just keeps blinking like its trying to come on, but won't.

And listen to this, this is where they get you, the warrenty covers only the first 90 days for labor, and 1 year for parts. And the the repair shop that they sent me to (which is 1hr 30mins away) wants 100$ for labor just to look at it, not including what the repair will be.

I will never, never, never buy another LCD TV from Magnavox.
    And my advice to others that are concidering buying a LCD TV, should do there research first on the internet to see who is complaining, and make sure you know what that warrenty covers, and how long.

I will say thanks to God i have a very smart husband, and he did fix the tv, the capacitor 2074 on power supply went bad ( 1hour fix, 3$), and they wanted 100$ to look at it.

I hope i helped everyone with the information i am sharing. I will say that the best tv i have bought so far that has not gave me any problems is my Vizio.