Philippines Airlines / cancellation of flight without notice

San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

I called to check on the flight status for my wife and one year old daughter's flight from Manila to SFO and it turned out it was canceled and the airline rescheduled my wife to the next morning without notifying us. The reasons were stated as "operational requirements" or maintenance. I asked if they could be more specific and they could not tell me the exact reasons and referred/gave me the number to the Manila airport.

If they needed to fix the plane if it hit a bird or some other unexpected repair issue, I can understand, but if they are not maintaining the planes when they should have been and took the plane offline and rescheduled us due to basically poor planning, that would upset me, but I'll never know which is the case.

What really makes me angry is that they did not call us to inform us of the changes. And then operator had the nerve to say "But we rescheduled your wife's flight to the next day in the morning" (arriving at a time when I am unable to pick them up) as if they were doing me a favor! I ended up rescheduling their flight to the evening like the original flight.

After that, I asked if I can upgrade the baby's seat from lap to full child seat, and they put me on hold for 20 min (no exaggeration, I was sitting in front of my computer and watching the clock). When they put you on hold, there is no sound coming from the phone so it seems like they hung up. I asked for the PAL complaint phone number and they gave me their email' [protected]@pal.com.ph. Right, WE CARE?!?!

BTW when we checked the PAL website for flight status, the original canceled flight does not even show up, like it never existed. At least it should list it as canceled or rescheduled, but nothing shows up. My wife is staying with family 5 hours away from the airport. And when she tries to call the airline while in the Philippines they put you on hold for a long time so its really hard to make changes to your flight from there. Worse case would have been if they drove 5 hours to the airport just to find that the flight was canceled and rescheduled to the next day.

I would avoid this airline like the plague.

Comments

• Ep
      20th of Apr, 2010

You sure they didn't cancel it because of the volcanic ash?

Sounds like a terrible company to me, but this volcanic ash is causing major problems all over Europe. I know she isn't in Europe, but who knows.

Michelle

• Te
      21st of Apr, 2010

I thought of that too but as far as I know Philippines to USA has not been affected by volcanic ash unless it routes thru Eruope but this is a direct flight. I tried to google if there was any delay from Philippines to SFO due to volcanic ash but turned up nothing relevant. If it was volcanic ash, then they probably would have said volcanic ash, not "operational requirements" and when asked what that means, they said maintenance.

But more than anything else, if they reschedule you to the next day, it would be nice to notify you, esp if its a 5 hour drive to get to the airport. Also if your flight gets canceled, the website should say "canceled" or "rescheduled". Instead it does not turn up any results when you search for your flight as if the flight never existed.

• Je
      22nd of Dec, 2010

im complaining about the my flight last december 8, 2010 at 1:25 in the early morning...and the said filght was been canncelled when i was already in the airport of riyadh...my flight no is 659 riyadh to manila and it was delayed almost two days and my love ones who are weating from the airport at the naia in manila were also been affected because otf the delayed that happened...payment for vehicles that is suppose waiting from have to go back in our province and comeback the next day and espenses of mine was been doubled.
    inline with my compliants, im asking in your behalf of the financial damage of mine that the said delayed or cancelled flight is not my fault but the fault is to be blamed int the philippine airlines...

• Na
      28th of Jun, 2014

What was the exact date when this cancellation happened, I think my wife was in that flight also. The only good thing was she manage to call me, before i went to the airport to pick her up.