Pep Boys / scam

On April 18, 2008, my F150 broke down and was brought to a Ford Dealer who I had used previously used to repair my truck. Larry, the service manager at the Ford dealer called me and informed me that he pulled a code indicating that my EGR and PDFE sensor were bad but noticed that they were genuine Ford parts and had recently been replaced. I searched through my receipts and determined that Pep Boys had replaced both of them approximately 8 weeks prior.

I called Pep Boys and Ed, the Manager was not in. I left a message and was told he would call me back. At the same time, I confirmed that Pep Boys had replaced both parts, along with the hoses and that if they were defective, it was warranty work that they were responsible for. I informed them that my truck was at a Ford dealer and I would wait to hear back from them as this was WARRANTY work.

I waited a few days and didn't receive a call from them. I called back and once again was told that the Manager would call me.

He finally did call several hours later and informed me that we could do 1 of 2 things:

1. Have my truck towed to Pep Boys - I would be financially responsible for towing the truck. 2. Have the Ford Dealer do the repair and bring the defective part back to Pep Boys. They would then do an inspection of the part and determine IF they would file an insurance claim with their insurance company. I would be reimbursed from the insurance company for PARTS only and it was the PRICE of the parts that Pep Boys charged - not what the Ford dealer would charge me as they would be considerably more.

I explained to the Manager at Pep Boys that regardless of which choice I went with, I would be reaching into my pocket to pay for something that I had already paid for - either the towing or the extra cost of having the truck repaired AGAIN. He acknowledged my statement and refused to do anything else for me.

At that time, I had already been without my vehicle for days. I authorized Ford to do the repair but GET THIS; when I was on the phone with Larry, the service manager from Ford, he informed me that the reason why the parts went defective was because Pep Boys replaced the hoses with fuel injection hoses and because they are not heat tolerant, it caused the parts to "fry".

I immediately sent a complaint letter to Customer Service at Pep Boys. Never received a response to that complaint.

I waited a week and called the 1-800 number and filed a complaint and asked that the Manager, Ed from the store NOT be the one who called me back as I had "already been there, done that". They said it would be 24-48 hours before I heard back from someone.

I waited a week and called the 1-800 # back and was informed that Ed, the Manager was the one who was forwarded the complaint and he response was that "he offered to have the truck towed, free of charge" and that "I was seeking to have Pep Boys reimburse me for work that I elected to do elsewhere". I was FURIOUS!

I called another store and got the District Manager's phone number I left a message and he called me back a few days later. Same run around with him. He INSISTED that Pep Boys had offered to have my truck towed free of charge. I informed him of the BAD work that caused the parts to go defective and he informed me that "replacing hoses are not part of the job we do when we replace the EGR Valve and PDFE sensor". I informed him that it was, in fact, on my receipt and I HAD paid for those hoses. He offered to reimburse me for $130.00 - the cost of the repairs at Pep Boys. I explained that I had to pay Ford $260.00 to fix their error and that I wanted to be reimbursed for the $260.00 that I was now out. He refused and stated that I elected to have work done at Ford that was my choice.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. They forwarded it to Customer Service. I thought FINALLY I would have resolution. The Customer Service rep said that it was "being reviewed" and a determination hadn't been made AND that Pep Boys had offered to have my vehicle towed to their shop free of charge. This was after several emails and phone calls that went unanswered. I was angry and threatened to go to the Atty General of Massachusetts as there is a LAW in Massachusetts that Auto Repair shops MUST come good on warranty work within 30 days once they were made aware of the issue. She committed to sending me a check for $260.00 within 12 - 14 business days.

Guess what folks? I'm STILL waiting for that check, the 12 - 14 business days are now gone by and now my emails are no longer being answered. It is now July 17, 2008 and has been almost 3 months trying to fight with these people to get my money!

The REAL kicker -- Larry from the Ford dealer DID speak with the Pep Boys store in question and he was told that Pep Boys would NOT pay to have my truck towed. It's not just me folks, being a whining little snot. I have a credible witness to the entire situation and I'm ready to file suit against these scam artists.

Va

Comments

• Va
      5th of Jun, 2008

I went in to the pep boys in Redlands Ca. to by a generator. I’ve been looking every where for a little generator I was in three days ago and it was priced at $119.00. When I came back to buy it they had to large signs and a big display with the same price on it. The sign didn’t say it was on sale or anything. I went to the register to buy the generator and it rang up $149.00 I told the girl it was wrong and she sent the manager to go check. When walking back there he said it had a $20.00 rebate that’s what it was supposed to be. The sign said nothing about a rebate and even with that rebate it doesn’t bring it down to $119.00 the manager said I had to pay the price in the computer no exceptions if I want it that’s what I have to pay. He was so rude and especially the way the economy is you think they would want to keep customers.

• Va
      4th of Jul, 2008

I had an appointment at the Pep Boys in Mechanicsburg, PA to have 4 tires installed on 6/30/08. I went in about 5 days before to make the appointment, and to get a quote of $240 for the full price including the sales tax. That is about $227 plus the tax.

Long story short when I dropped it off I was told that it would be $270 with the tax included. I said fine because I really needed the tires, and that the tires I was receiving were not eligible for the buy 3 get one free deal. Even though I received an ad in the mail saying every tire they sold was covered under that deal.

After the work was finished I was told the total price was $292. It seems that the second quote I received was without the sales tax even though I asked for the price with the tax.

Finally the person ringing me out asked around to find out that the person that quoted me "misspoke" about the total price. He gave me an "instore" discount of $100, dropping my total bill to $170 +tax.

Over the course of nearly 20 years I've had nearly 90% of my major car repairs done at a Pep Boys, but now after all of the crap that they put me through I will be rethinking that position. Except for the occasional needed auto part.

• Ro
      8th of Feb, 2009

sorry nice try but you or someone dosent know what there talking about, a faulty dpfe will not cause you car to stall or be a no start, a stuck egr will cause a stall or poor idle but on a ford the dpfe is only to tell the pcm of actual egr flow, an incorrect hose will break down and may clog causing a dpfe code or even plug the sensor and NOT ruin the valve in any case you should have been able to DRIVE to pep boys and get it fixed at most likely no charge, pep boys bend over backwards and then some to make customers happy, even some fraudulant complaints, if they refuse to make it right than you arnt escalating the complaint or totaly dishonest. rj, ASE Master tech, 30 years in the business and works for PEP BOYS

• Ts
      20th of Mar, 2010

robert ... your the only 30 year master jerk tech... who has the best knee pads pep boys can supply.. and i'm sure there wearing out by now...if pep boys does bend over backwards...you are right behind them... tell me this master.. how can pep boys do a free diagnostic test with the engine light on and not charge you nothing... FREE TEST... then charge you 100.00 dollars for a driveability evaluation ... Quote..."CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON"... pepbboys print out reads...code EGR INSUFFICIENT FLOW DETECTED... DEFECTIVE EGR CONTROL SOLENOID .. RECOMMEND DEALER.. this general coment on their invoice was added after... they blew two... 20 amp fuses from their simple diagnostic test to clear the engine light... and pepboys did disabled the ...TSC... TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM... and disabled the following... THREE HEATER CIRCUITS.. TWO AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS CIRCUITS... now the car wont shift into gear without slamming reverse and drive... TWO SPARK PLUG VOLTAGE DECTECTION CIRCUITS MALFUNCTION... (LEFT BANK ) and (RIGHT BANK).. WHATS THIS SAY... excess gases exiting the header engine exhaust at the motor..

STILL GOT YOUR KNEE PADS ON.. HOPE SO... this is all from the dealer... SPARK PLUG VOLTAGE DETECTION... MODULE RESET CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION ... on the the and left right bank... as above pepboys tried to cover this up.. as the dealership showed these codes... pay attention master... this was caught by the dealer... SPARK PLUG VOLTAGE DETECTION MODULE RESET CUIRCUT MALFUNCTION...PEP BOYS TRIED TO RESET THEIR CIRCUIT RESET MALFUNCTION... ALL DOCUMENTED ON THIS PAPER... BOTH FROM PEP BOYS AND THE REPUTABLE DEALEASERSHIP... OHHH SO NOW YOU NEED THICKER KNEE PADS ... UNREAL... YOU;LL GET EM IF YOU ASK.

• Kn
      27th of Mar, 2010

They attempted to tell me that I needed $1, 200 in repairs. Fortunately, I didn't believe them and took my car somewhere else. The new technician said that there was nothing wrong that they suggested. I only had to pay $80 for an alignment. I know they tried to rip me off because I am a woman! Terrible business Shameful practices!

29th of Sep, 2010

First the service department told me I needed an intake valve and cover. They could do the job for a mere 800 dollars...Ok that seemed like a lot of money and I wanted to discuss it with my family first since I was recently widowed and this would be a lot of money for a woman on a very fixed income...My family agreed and since the car had been running hot I decided not to drive the car but to have it towed to prevent any other damage. The truck hadn't been there long when I received a phone call from the service department advising me that now I needed a complete NEW engine...I had no choice but just to tell them that I would send my tow company of choice to bring it home...I spent two months worrying about what to do next. A friend and neighbor of thirty years suggested I take it to a local place that he used for his and his wife's car and truck. Again I had it towed in to prevent further damage. I was so happly to learn today that the only problem with my truck was that it needed a new themostat, seal and cover...cost with labor 355 including tax. Your service department saw a widow and tried to take advantage. SHAME, SHAME! I always reccomended Pep Boys in the past but never, ever again. THE TOWING BILL ALONE JUST TO AND FROM WAS 80 DOLLARS. You have lost a good custmer and a good recommendation.

29th of Sep, 2010

I am having an issue with them also, and do intend to follow thru with the corporate office, address lited below...Some legal advise would not hurt either...Good luck, and if you want to start a class action suit, I'd be willing to see who would want this case...Let me know.

29th of Sep, 2010

Sorry that I forgot the link to file a complaint w/ Pep Boys...www.pepboys.com and follow the link...

• Su
      30th of Sep, 2010

how the hell do you disable all those system and cause all of that through a 20 amp fuse, you sir are an [censor] thats why they denied you of that i work for pepboys as a service wirter and when you start with that [censor] i get pissed off, btw the code pull gives you a code and a definition a diag is 100 bucks because you want a technician to diagnose your car labor isnt free, so if you want it fixed pay for it

• Pe
      11th of Oct, 2010

I took my car to Pep Boys on Evergreen Way in Everett WA. I made the appointment a day ahead, I dropped the keys in the box the next morning, I called after they opened at 8:00 to check in with the service department and when I went to pick up my car after work, they had not attended to it at all. The keys were still in the drop box. I'm beyond pissed. I missed a very important appointment I went out of my way to take it to them in the first place and there is absolutely no excuse. It is just very poor customer service and I will never darken their door again.