Pep Boys / holding my car hostage

United States Review updated:

On July 10, 2011, I took my car to Pep Boys on Rt. 1 in Princeton, NJ to run a engine light check and brake check (both free services). A day later I got a call from them explaining what needed to be replaced in my car. The brake pads, rotors, drums all needed to be replaced, as well as a break line that was leaking. After telling me all this, I asked how much it would cost to fix, to which he replied 'about $470'. My car is only worth $1400 for a trade in, so I was on the fence about it, but decided to go for it. Big mistake!

I came back 3 days later, where I was presented with a bill for $1300. I proceeded to argue with the employees, getting different stories from each different person I was referred to. After 2 days of arguing with the manager, he referred me to the tech that I spoke to on the phone. Yes, you heard right, the manager referred me to someone that works under him. The tech retold his story, which was exactly what I remembered|. When I asked him why he told me it would be $470, he replied, "that was just for the rear brakes, the rest of the repairs was another $730"."

So then I spoke to the assistant manager (the manager had conveniently started his vacation by now), who refused to budge even though the tech had just admitted to giving me misleading information.. I replied that I'd pay the $470 for the rear brakes and they can put all my old parts back into my car;. However, the asst;. manager then told me that (despite the transaction not having been completed) they had already thrown away my old parts, and that my only option was to pay them $1300 to get my car back'.

Additionally, and less of a concern than what's written above, instead of installing standard brake pads, they installed the most expensive pads they had, along with calipers, . Both of these things were unrequested by me and contributed to the overall price hike that they're trying to usurp me with.

Comments

• Jk
      Jul 05, 2011

Does your car happen to be a time machine built from a DeLorean and is your nick name "Doc"?