PeoplePC / Fraudulant Billing - Harassing Phone Calls

San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:
I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

Comments

Ja
  10th of Apr, 2008
Company address correction...

1375 Peachtree St NW
Atlanta, GA 30309

Hence, I will be filing my complaint with the Georgia State Attorney General office.
De
  25th of Sep, 2008
CALL ME 914-423-1524-ASK FOR FRANK ---STEALING---ON--CREDIT--CARD
De
  25th of Sep, 2008
I WII FIND OUT WHO TO CALL TO GET MY MONEY BACK--AND-YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY HIS BILL---CALL ME 914-423-1524-ASK-FOR-FRANK
Lo
  25th of Nov, 2008
You are not the only one I also cancel and for 2 years they billed me and taking money out my account unknowingly and has not refund my money one 2 months what can I do to get my money from the thugs who took MY MONEY I wrote a letter as well have not heard anything
Di
  3rd of Jun, 2016
My husband and I were the victims of credit card fraud. PeoplePC was one of the fraudulent charges. We called them several times to cancel the account. They finally said the account was canceled, however, they have not refunded us the original charges. A customer rep told us we would have to fax corporate hq with police report but then never gave us a fax number. ??? I pity the next credit card theft victim who has to deal with this greedy, uncooperative company.
Di