Penn Foster / awful company

United States Review updated:
Penn Foster
I decided to try the Web Design degree through Penn Foster, and put $150 down towards it and made one payment of $50 after that. I took the online reading and math assessment, which was essentially an elementary level quiz that a fourth grader could have easily passed.

After that, I had some personal issues arise and I couldn't afford the commitment of their degree program. I tried to find out if it was possible for me to switch to a certificate program, which would have been shorter and cheaper in the long run. They said I couldn't, so I decided to cancel. I was then informed I would have to pay over $200 just to cancel the courses!

I thought this was ridiculous, considering the 'books' they sent me, weren't even books! They were paper pamphlets stapled together! And I even offered to send them back! And I hadn't done ANYTHING but take an online quiz for basic math skills! After speaking to SEVERAL people with Penn Foster regarding this, I was told I could cancel my courses and would owe no further money.

Let's also keep in mind, Penn Foster allegedly requires proof of a high school diploma or GED, something I NEVER supplied to them...

Now, it's been almost a year and a half since then, and randomly, out of the blue, I get a collections notice from them for over $200! Are you kidding me?! This is ridiculous!

I sent them the following email.

'I called and CANCELED my courses for Webdesign with your school prior to December of 2007. I did NOTHING with the courses except take the online reading and math assessments. That was it. That was all of it. I didn't do anything further. I had wanted to switch to a certificate program but was informed I couldn't so I decided to just cancel the courses and after speaking to a FEW people, they told me I could, as I hadn't done anything with the courses aside from the reading and math assessment and had already paid $150-200 culmitive.

Now, almost a year and a half later, I received a collections notice for over $200! I CANCELED the courses and was told I owed nothing further! This is ridiculous!

Not to mention, your site said it required proof of high school diploma (which I never supplied!) and yet you're still trying to charge me?! I canceled the course! All i did was take an incredibly elementary math and reading assessment!

I would like this resolved as soon as possible and I am very appalled that your 'school' would do such a thing! '

So, we will see what happens. I am awaiting their response, and will be calling both them and the collection agency first thing in the morning.

N  7th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am very dissapointed also PennFoster is not good school.
people so rude in the offices, books they are no really books, only copies of paper when you want to reach teachers no teachers no communication at night when you want to summited exams the techical support in Foster no good.
Only they are attention thoses people is charge a lot of money
Please don't make mistake like me don't go to the school .
A  4th of Oct, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree this school is not a good school. They cancel your courses for no reason and then force you to pay the rest of the money. I was doing very well in the diplomaa course I was taking with them. They are rip offs. Also when I tried to complain they told me I am not allowed to complain. By law you are wronged and you feel that you have been scammed by a so called reputable company than you have the right to file complains that is your right as a law abiding consumer. They can't take away your right to complain. IF they done something wrong they need to own up to it and resolve the issue and fair about it and not try to threaten other people that do complain. It is their right by consumer protection act. They can't stop anyone from complaining. Anyone that is considering this school please reconsider and do your research well. There are other schools out there such as Ashworth College and they have high school and career school and masters degree which Penn Foster does not offer. Also Ashworth does not charge you extra if you need extra time to complete your course. Penn Foster will charge you $75.00 and will only give you six months extra and keep charging you for every six months if you need extra time. But Ashworth College and their high school program is different they treat students rights and don't cancel classes in the middle and force you out for no reason. Ashworth is also accredited by the US Dept. Of Education and the online education accreditation and is acceptable to transfer in most colleges and universities. Penn Foster is very limited in their accreditation. So Be Very Carefull When Choosing Penn Foster!!! THEY HAVE MANY BAD REVIEWS OF SCAM!!!

Penn Foster Logo Penn Foster