Overnight Genius / Unauthorized charge on my credit card!

1 Baltimore, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 443-317-8160

I bought cd courses for free, I had to pay only $4.31 for shipping on my credit card on 02/28/08. When I was looking at my bank account online on 04/08/08 I found out a charge of $76.41 from this company with out my authorization and order.

Comments

29th of Jul, 2008

i also found out after ordering this product for $4.31 for shipping on my credit card, that a few months later this company had charge a $76.41 with out my authorization and order.

i just hope its over and if not i need a to contact them.

if anyone knows a way to fix this problem.

• Ry
      31st of Jul, 2008

I was the recent victim of Id theft. I'm guessing the thief was testing the waters before he/she did any thing huge, but he/she opened various service accounts in my name. These included: blockbuster online, stamps.com, napster, netflicks, and overnight genius. I caught the misuse immediately and my bank, Bank of America, was great about clearing the charges and issuing me a new card.

The major annoyance, besides not having a debit card for a week, was closing all the accounts. All the customer service for these companies where great and prompt to help me. Some even told me they would put in additional request to the bank indicating the fraud. The exception to the helpfulness was Overnight Genius.

The fraudulent order was placed on a Sunday and I called at open of business on Monday. They told me the package was already shipped and my account details were not in their system. What kind of workflow is shipping USPS on a Sunday and not having the electronic records automatically synced. Bad IT.

When I called back that afternoon to get the account removed, Overnight Genius they acted like I was making the story up. They told me that because the software was already sent that I would have to return it in 15 days to get my account removed. I insisted that the policy was bogus and that I don't understand why I have to pay shipping, when I never ordered it to begin with. BTW the name on the account was spelled wrong, which is a clear indication of fraud. They told me I could send it "return to sender", but strongly discouraged this. I talked to the overnight genius phone grunts and a manager, neither had the courage to "Do the Right Thing."

Finally I got the package, and I posted it "return to sender." As soon as I dropped it in the mail box I called them. The overnight genius phone grunt in customer service looked my up my account, and acted like I did something wrong posting it "return to sender." I finally convinced her to cancel the account. which she did.

The moral is that don't be surprised with poor customer service and service policies when dealing with Overnight Genius. If they will not help someone with canceling an account that is a fraudulent account, then good luck if it is legit.

BTW, the fraud has been cleared up, but I still don't know how they got my debit card info, home address, email, and phone number. I do know they are located somewhere in Kentucky. So beware!

Can I recommend a way to learn software and technology. Try surf the web for free tutorials and play with the software before purchasing shady sound free course offers. When in doubt buy a book from amazon. I promise you will learn more and remember it better this way. Take it from a self taught IT/Software geek. The frustration is often worth it.