Orange / oberon media scam

Bolton, England, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom Review updated:

My 12 year old son applied for a" free game" from the News Of The World paper, simply text "YES" to a number and you get a free game for your mobile. He did this, received the game, then text again "STOP" to ensure no more games were received.

Now by Oberon Media that is a sister company, they have bombarded my sons mobile with obscene photos of women, with all their glory on show! My son dosen't even know about sex yet and these peodofiles are still trying to send these crude photo texts and run up the orange phone bill to, wait for it, £1, 068.98p!!! Hello, is anybody at orange looking into this - NO, we have to pay it. Any suggestions please!!

Comments

• Ra
      7th of Oct, 2009
    Orange - Identity Theft
    Oranfe
    Solihull
    England, West Midlands
    United Kingdom

Orange sent me bills for 2 mobile contracts purchased in my name (Account no: 71838265). I am not sure how they give 24 month contracts without any verification. When I complained, they just ignored it just as another fraud.

Why the hell they can not validate a customer beofre giving a connection. I think the whole responsibility lies with Orange. Why we have to suffer because of their poor business practices.

Rabi Mishra

• Us
      14th of Oct, 2009
    Orange - Unreliable and unsatisfactory services
    orange.com

I changed from AOL to Orange broadband wirless, once I recieved the box and tryed to install it the set up cd was not working. I then called orange Tech support which they then told me that I was not going to be connected untill two days later. I waited patiently with no internet access as AOL had cancelled my account. I called then two days later and the tech support went through a process manually of giving me access. Five days later the whole system went down at 1am I waited till the morning and called them. They got me to go through some steps of testing it and then told me there system was down and I should call the next day. Which I did and they told me the same thing and that I needed a line test done and to call them in 24 to 48 hours. I have been on the phone to them many hours and many days in total 10-15 days. They are continuosly telling me the same thing and refusing to cancel my account without having to pay the 12 month contract. Which on one occasion a supervisor told me they were canceling it and then I was to contact customer support for it to go through at there end. This did not go through and Tech support is telling me to contact customer support as they can't authorise it and then customer support is telling me they can't authorise it. Because of this I am unable to get access to any other broadband provider and currently am connect by dial up with AOL. Orange services are unreliable and unsatisfactory.

• Ca
      16th of Oct, 2009
    Orange - Awful company
    orange.com

I have just finally freed myself from Orange, long story but they basically messed up my e mail address when I registered, totally spelling my name wrong..this may have been down to the fact that the agent could neither speak nor understand basic english... I had two choices, wait another 20 days to re register or obtain a new email address using the pay as you go system..

I opted for the latter..what they didnt tell me was I had to log in the the original account every 90 days..or I would be cut off..this happened quite often as I didnt need an email address with my name mispelt.. Trying to get it sorted was a nightmare..as I cannot speak broken english!.. The ironical thing..if you ring up and tell them your leaving they immediatly switch you to a call centre based in the UK and you are put through to someone who attempts to talk you out of it by offering free months, modems and reduced charges.

If you need further proof that this firm are awful read the latest which ISP ratings..Orange are at the bottom (again!!)

• Re
      23rd of Oct, 2009
    Orange - Scam charges
    orange.co.uk

I recently travelled to india, and had to use my mobile phone, i immediately picked up the net work of Airtel, as i had used this network in spain, i presumed all would be ok. we had to contact our bank and rang the familiy. when i returned home, i received just half of my bill for 10 days it was £250, Orange have denied all responsibility and blamed the network in India. Why when we travel abroad are we not notified of charges etc, this bill has crucified me!

• Ro
      23rd of Oct, 2009
    Orange - Total shame
    orange.co.uk

I have been with Orange for just over a year now.

I set up this contract with a third party copmany, who agreed to pay my £105 every three months. HTey only paid me once and this was after endless phonecalls and letters. So, i was in touch with trading standards and they told me to write to Orange. which i did, twice and they refused to accknowlegde that i sent them anything, I also called orange about 40 times. receiving no help whatsoever. I finally received a letter back which i had sent to the third party company, it was my own letter with not at this adress written on it. THis meant, like the trading standards had said that the company had gone bust, so i called orange again and again. nothing. During this period I set up the ICON 225 internet, they said that the first 3 months would be free and that there woulndt be any extra charges becase the gigabites were so big, i also requested that my mobile phone bill and the Orange icon 225 bill would be split. The latter 3 were not met.

my dad then rung Orange to get th fact thatthe thrid comppand had stopped paying me sorted and to either, cancell the contract or get it at a lower rate. It took him half an hour for him to be transfered to someone hwo could actually sort it. Even though when he first got on the phone to them he had told them that the person on the other end couldnt sort it. After around 3 hours on the phone they eventually agreed to put the bill down to £25 with unlimited texts and 300 minutes. This i was happy with, it was an affordable bill. Un benowest to me that wouldnt be the last time that i would be calling orange that week. I then got a bill through for £124. I was shocked, i didnt have that much money to pay them. It ended up that they had added the janruary and february Icon 225 bill which came to £30 onto it. When the man had told me my first 3 months would be free, and on a seperate bill. Then they told I had been charged £16 for the megabites that i went over even though thhey had said i wouldnt go over. I called orange to see what could be done, they gave me three options that could happen, although i had requested that the contract be cancelled. they said i could buy out the contract, cant afford to do that, sell the contract, who would want it after all the problems i had had with it or just pay it. THe man was rude, he was a team leader, he laughed in my face at the fact i wanted to cancel the contract. I then called my mum and when i got home she spoke to them. My mum and dad luckily agreed that they would pay the bill this month.

The saturday 14th came and the full amount had been put on (as they had taken a double payment the month before) and i called up top pay it. I had to call them back as the phone went dead but i couldnt because all outbound calls were barred. So, using the housephone i did, i then told the man that i had just payed it and that i wanted the bills splitting. He said that he would put me through to someone who could help. This lady then claimed that she couldnt split the bill as i hadnt paid the outstanding balance. By this point i had had it with Orange as i had paid the balance 40 minutes previously. I told them at collections this and they acknowelged and put a note on my account (somthing that they dont even look at, the millions of notes i have on my account). She then after me losing my temper didnt speak and i had to listen to her talking to her colleagues. Randomly i got put through to another person in another department who didnt even know why I had called. This lady was called Isha, the only name i took of the day. Eventually she sorted it, and i am waiting to see if i do get the next three months free, and split bills.

The customer services are crucial in making a happy customer. This department blatently has no communication system, noone who calls customers back to tell them what is happening. The only thing they seem to do is take your money and sell things with false claims.

Up until janruary I had had excellent service from orange, but i had had only little problems. I am highly frustrated and cannot wait until the contract is over.

• O2
      24th of Oct, 2009
    Orange - No money refunded
    orange.co.uk

Internet crashed and due to lodger moving out we didn't have passord to re-install, We notified Wanadoo who refused to help us get service and continued to take Direct Debits from the account for the next year, totalling £200, Eventually, my credit card company stopped them taking more.

Told me they would continue to take payments from the account (or my estate if I died) until contacted by lodger who had set up account for us as they had his name on file!

They admit they have the money but refused to provide service or refund. Neither we, nor Financial ombudsman could get nowhere with them. They just said "We don't have to refund your money".

• Fr
      28th of Oct, 2009

Around 2 months ago I viewed my account on the website and went to add an additional magic number to my account. These are numbers that you acquire every 6 months and are free of charge to call and not included on your bill. I found that Orange had wiped my previous 2 numbers and so instead of adding my 3rd number I was back to adding my first. I then phoned up to complain only to be told that it would take up to 16 weeks to restore them and that if I wanted to clai, m back any money I had lost it would be up to me to spend hours on the phone sorting it out. Following this I then tried to change my talk plan online. It appeared to allow me to change to a 'dolphin 30' package, usually charged at £30 per month but with this deal you only pay £25. Instead I ended up with the same £20 deal I currently had but paying £25. When I phoned to complain they said they would change my plan the following month, still leaving me 1 month out of pocket and then subsequently didn't. So I'm still paying £25 a month for a contract I don't want. Please someone take me away from this awful company...I hate them.

11th of Dec, 2009

I've always found Orange really helpful.
    Have you contacted the India company?

What reason did Orange give that it wasn't their responsibility? These are the points that you need to present to the Indian company.

Of course you should never presume that something would be OK unless you've checked for your circumstances, though if you pinpoint what you hope to achieve and how, then there will be one of the phone companies who will be responsible for that side of things.

Hope this helps.

• Wa
      19th of Jan, 2010
    Orange - ripped off
    Spain

Upon arriving in Spain we contracted with Orange because our daughter, who was a foreign student at the time, also had
    a phone from Orange. We were told that that the cost between us would be .35 euors for the first call each day to her and .03 euors there after.
    It took us 3 separate meeting with the personel in the store in Seville to get that rate. Even the employee of Orange was frustrated with the people she had to deal with on the other end of the phone to get this resolved. However, these employees had no authority to credit funds back to our account and make it right, even though these same employees set the terms up with us. Orange screws their employees and their customers all at the same time.

We paid a bunch for telephone service and spent hours dealing with a problem that didnt get resolved until the time we had to leave.
    Next time I'll bring my phone from the states. Don't believe them when they tell you its cheaper to get the phone over there. Not true.
    You'll waste your time because these people have all the time in the world and could care less how much of your time they take. They are Europerns not Americans and do not value time.

22nd of Feb, 2011
    Orange - Staff lied in order to get me to upgrade my phone!
    Orange

Several months ago, I visited your shop on Princes Street in Edinburgh to discuss an upgrade to my Orange contract.

I am visually impaired/blind and, as such, require an accessible phone.

I was assured by one of the staff, a man named Omar, that the Motorola DEXT would be suitable for my needs. I was informed it has TTS installed. After much effort on my part it became clear that the DEXT is not, in fact, accessible and is completely unsuitable. It does not include any TTS system. My partner was with me at the time and will verify I was told the phone is accessible.

I attempted to raise this matter with the shop, and was told there was nothing they could do to help.

After emailing customer services I have been told to go back to the manager of the shop and that they cannot help me. When they called me back the customer service agent was very abrupt/rude and told me that their hands were tied.

I went into a shop in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow recently. They contacted the shop in Edinburgh. Omar at first claimed he could not remember me, and then insisted he told me to contact Customer Services for advice.

I then phone Customer Services again by phone. They were rude and insisted there was nothing they could do.

It has become clear that I was misled regarding this phone, presumably in an effort to get me to renew my contract. Nobody in your company is now prepared to do anything about this.

I regard this as illegal mis-selling.

This is the second time Orange has erred with an upgrade. On the previous occasion I rang Customer Services upgrades department and explained I needed a phone running either a Symbian or Windows Mobile operating system. They told me the LG Viewty was accessible and on Windows Mobile. When I received the phone it was quite clear this was not true. I returned the phone and eventually upgraded to an SPV-650 which, when speech was eventually installed, ran very slowly and actually worked, after a fashion, despite regular firmware crashes.

I am currently having to use a Nokia N73 that I purchased privately, as the DEXT is unusable.

• Oa
      26th of Jul, 2011
    Orange - Total incompetence

• Ni
      11th of Jul, 2012
    Orange - sayin we owe money
    England, Leicestershire
    United Kingdom

we had a contract for 24 month for a dongle we paid every month till contract was done then we didn't use dongle but they automatically continued to charge us they wanted 87 pounds something, when my husband rang up they said we will pay it my husband explained that we wouldn't as we didn't agree to continue using the dongle, they now sent a letter by debt collectors saying we have to contact and pay within a week, my husband payed the money as he d loose more money in going court which is money we cant afford .is this right and is this how big companies work ??