NTB / National Tire & Battery / billed for services I did not authorize

1 335 518 Rd. Kemah, TX 77565, United States

I am a 72 year old woman on a very limited income. I went into my local NTB on 2/1 to get an oil change and to have the tires on my car rotated. After about an hour, the technician, who I don't know what his name was, came out and told me that one of the brake pads on my vehicle was thin and if I wanted to have him replace it. I asked him what the total of everything would be if he changed out the brake pad. He answered 95.98. I asked him if that would include taxes and he said yes. I said ok, you can change out the pad. Once the work was completed and I went to check out, they asked me if how I was going to pay. I said debit. They told me to swipe my card, which I did and it was on the screen of the debit machine that I saw the total of 595.90. When I finally saw the invoice, it listed brake pads for both the front and rear, as well as brake shoes for also front and rear. I told the tech that that was not the amount he told me it would be, he said yes it is. I said if you had told me 595.00, I would never have agreed to the work, I cannot afford that. I only get social security and its not that much. I asked to speak to a manager, Candice Ramsey, and told her what had happened and that I did not agree to that amount. She said that the only thing she could do was remove the pads and brakes that they had installed and take off 184.98 for the parts, however, they would still have to charge for labor. I decided that I was not going to pay $410.00 for only an oil change and tire rotation and that I would try to handle this a different way since no one at the store was willing to help me. Thoughout all of this, I was very upset and crying, not knowing what I was going to do being out so much money. No one at the store even offered me a cup of water or even any kind of apology. Once I got home, I called the store and spoke to Candace again and I asked her how I could talk to a corporate representative. She said I would have to go online and look for TBC. I said how do I do that, to which she said, someone could help me and there was nothing else she could do. She was very rude. I am a cancer survivor and take medication for high blood pressure and for anxiety. This entire situation has made me just sick. I believe I was taken advantage of because I am an elderly woman. They need to change their policy and actually show customers in writing, what you're agreeing to so that there is no question as to what you're saying yes to. The resolution I am requesting is to request a refund for parts and labor for the service that was not explained to me nor I agreed to. I only agreed to an oil change, and tire rotation, and the replacement of One brake pad, which the tech told me about. I intend to pursue this until I get a resolution that is satisfactory. This is unjust, it is deceptive and just isn't right. My daughter in law's brother works for the Texas Attorney General's office and that will be my next course of action, as well as the local news consumer advocate's office. Please contact me at [protected]. Thank you.

Linda King