North Texas Toll Authority / Billing practices and fees

1 Plano Tx, United States Review updated:

I have had a toll tag with the NTTA for over 5 years now. I have never received a zip tag notice or anything stating I had unpaid balances outside of my toll tag. Yet last week I received a notice stating they are putting a hold on my registration for unpaid tolls. I went into their office and was told that I had a balance of $850. The gentleman I spoke to was extremely rude. Would not look at me. I told him I have never received anything. All he said was they have confirmation that the letters went out. They would not waive any fees at all. And he would not let me speak to a supervisor. I called today to set up a payment plan. I was told that I had to make a dowd payment of $262 with 5 monthly payments of around $105. I told him I could do $400. He shot back with $488? I said no, $400. What about $402? So I paid $402 and was told it would be 4 payments of $110. I asked if he could spread that over 5 months. He said no, we won't take payments under $100. They are absolutely ridiculous and impossible to deal with. Their business practices are asinine. They just want to get as much money as they can and because they "have more power" as I was told when I went into their office, they can do whatever they want.

Re
Jan 20, 2016

Comments

• De
      4th of Feb, 2016

I have the same issue. Apparently they are not telling customers that you must call and let them know if your plate changes on your vehicle! AND they will not not waive the late fee!

• He
      9th of Feb, 2016

I am dealing with the same practices you all are. I am looking into a lawsuit and in order to get a class action suit, we need the following: (and fill out this Google Survey so I can collect the 100 minimum complainants needed to get this in motion- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CoVTS9zN8KZRg4m34lrLKMoSobsR6OtdGD24Wlm40wc/viewform?usp=send_form)

What Factors are Used to Certify a Class Action Lawsuit?

When deciding whether to certify a class, a court is required to evaluate four specific factors. They are:

Numerosity: the plaintiffs must show that “the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable.” While there is no set minimum number of class members, typically courts will require at least 100 members in order to satisfy the numerosity requirement. The plaintiffs must also show that class members must be identifiable through the use of specific criteria or information.
    Commonality: the plaintiffs must show that there are questions of law and fact that are common to the claims of each class member. The commonality requirement is satisfied where the party opposing the class has engaged in some course of conduct that affects a group of persons and gives rise to a cause of action.
    Typicality: the class representatives must show that their individual claims are “typical” of the claims of the various class members. Typicality exists where the representatives’ claims arise from the same event or course of conduct that gives rise to the claims of other class members and the claims are based on the same legal theory.
    Adequacy: the plaintiffs must show that they will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class. To make such a showing, they must typically demonstrate that they have the willingness and ability to take an active role in and control the litigation in order to protect the interest of the absentee class members and that their attorneys will act with the necessary zeal and competence.