Nissan / another bad transmission on 2004 maxima

It seems my problem is not unique. Nissan has a problem with this transmission. The service department is playing dumb by telling me they haven’t seen this before. I am now looking at a new transmission for over $3000.00.

For the past 10000 miles I have been experiencing the same bucking between 1 & 2 gears. Of course it was sporadic and every time I brought it to Nissan they couldn’t duplicate it. Well it finally went. It no longer goes into first at all. Maybe now they will believe me does anybody know of a website where all our fellow screwed 04 maxima owners are gathering?

Va

Comments

• Ge
      31st of Mar, 2009

I felt your pain... I endured two rebuilt trannys on my 1990 Maixma years ago, before dumping it! The worst thing was they could not diagnose the problem. I am careful with my cars and do not abuse them, so I couldn't figure it out.

If they would have been more receptive to helping a brother out, I would have been a little more supportive. The first malfunction was at 40K miles, 4000 over the warranty.

Never again will I buy any Nissan, and I will try and dissuade anyone else too! Customer service can be as important as the product.

• Cp
      31st of Jul, 2009

I purchased a 2004 Nissan Maxima and it all seemed fine for a bit but once i hit around 90k miles, the transmission started having problems. First, when I shift from Park to any other gear. It seems to either hesitate to shift into gear and once it does it shifts in a horrible KNOCK! I took it in for service and they replaced motor mounts. I suggested it may be the transmission, The dealership ignored that. Now, it continues to do the same problem as well as slip gears while in motion. It usually slips from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd. It causes the car to rev and shifts when it wants. That makes it snap even harder. This to me seems very dangerous and I don't know what to do because my car just ran out of it's extended warranty. I don't have the money for a transmission repair.

• Do
      2nd of Aug, 2010

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima and I am experiencing some of the same problems with my car jerking. I didn't pay much attention to it in the beginning but it seems to be more frequent these days. I also know of someone who has an 2004 Maxima and he just had to have his transmission replaced in his car costing him over $3000. I feel that Nissan needs to be accountable for this problem. There are 421 noted complaints on one website about the 2004 Maxima dealing with the jerking problems (cause..transmission). This car has left a bad taste in my mouth. I had a 93 Maxima and it was a much better car than ths newer one. How do we get Nissan to look at this and see that this not just coincidental. I need help now because I don't have $3000 sitting around for car repair. I don't think I will EVER buy a Nissan again!!!

• Br
      8th of Aug, 2011

Everything these post just said happened to me exactly! I took it in camplaining of transmission shuddering and they gave me an $800 tune up. Transmission dropped out doing 70 on Interstate and nearly got run over by tractor trailers on my back! Nissan saids we won't help you! My extended warranty has since expired! I hope someone will help us! $5000.00 to repair. Radiator fluids were found in my transmission!

Brenda
    Harrisonburg Virginia

• Br
      8th of Aug, 2011

For the post above 2006 Pathfinder !

• Cj
      11th of Aug, 2011

I had that same problem2007 niissan xterra. brought brand new. first transmission in 09 second one in 2011.cracked radiator.radiator fluid also found in my transmission.