Newport News / billed multiple times for ordered clothing

Newport News

In 2005, I purchased three items from the website of Newport News Catalog. I was going to use the deferred billing(July purchase billed in October) but was emailed that this was not available to ATM card purchases. So the items were billed individually from my bank account plus tax and delivery.

In October, the items were billed again from my bank account, so I called my bank and asked that they not pay the items again and they reversed the charges and investigated it with Newport News.

As I began the process of purchasing my home, I was told that a $92.00 collection account from Newport News Corp. was on my credit files and had lowered my FICO so much that my interest rate was 9.875 on my 400,000 home. I called Newport News and emailed all my proof that the items had already been paid for, but to no avail. After a year of different collection companies contacting about this $92.00 from Newport News, I decided to just pay the $92.00 and had my bank send a check to the Corp offices of Newport News. After a month of calling and trying to get them to clear the Credit agencies files the $92.00 was refunded to my checking account. I called IC Systems who was also listed on my credit files with Newport News for the $92.00 said that the amount was sent back because they wouldn't accept my payment from a third party (Newport News Corp). The same day the credit was in my account, I had an EFT sent to IC Systems for the $92.00 and followed up until the 6th of September when t cleared my bank.

I called and faxed both Newport News and IC Systems with copies of the payment confirmation. When I asked for a letter of resolution and all three agencies files cleared, I was told if would cost me another $10.00 for a fax, but that they would send a letter of the zero balance.

I believe that these practices of posting collection items multiple times without notifying the consumer by letter or researching the information that the consumer sends proving that the bill is an error on their part is against the fair credit act.

This has literally cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A  4th of Jan, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Although I love Newport News' clothes and have purchased many items, I have had times where they have billed my credit card wrong or return charges when I got a code to get them waived. I asked for an accounting of my account, all purchases, shipping charges, and credits. They were unable to provide that for me at all. I have to file a complaint with the president's office and even then I don't know if I will get my accounting.

I also hate it when you have to pay to have it shipped and then if it doesn't look like the picture, you also have to pay to ship it back. Then, you purchased what you thought was a great deal put shipping doubles, if not more, the cost.

Anyway, I haven't sent my letter yet to get my accounting but I'll post if I get a positive response.
N  29th of Feb, 2008 by
I ordered a bathing suit from Newport news and when I received my order, my bathing suit top was missing. It showed on the statement of items that it was shipped but it was not in my package. In its place was a cheap looking black lace tank top. I called the customer service department and told them of the problem and being the honest person that I am, I told them that they shipped me a top that was not listed on the invoice. That is when the problems begain. At first they refused to send me a replacement bathing suit top (that was already billed to my credit card) until I shipped back the black tank top that they had no record that I even had. I refused stating that if that is how they do buisness I would ship my entire order back and close my account. Then they told me that they would ship out the bathing suit top and to mail the black top back to them. They would pay shipping for it but that in order to do it this way they would show that I owe another 15.00 for the same bathing suit top I had already paid for but never recieved. I told them that I did not want to be held responsible for a top (the black one) that I had never ordered in the first place. They assured me that it was an accounting proceedure so they could replace my top as soon as possible and that I would never have a problem with being billed for the extra 15.00. They said that it had nothing to do with me but was a internal.
I mailed the black top back a little over a week ago and today in the mail I recieved a collection billing for the 15.00. I called and talked to a supervisor and she basically told me that although they cannot charge my credit card for the top, they will hold me responsible for the black top until it is returned. Although the 15.00 is not the dollar amount for the black top, I am being charged for another bathing suit top (the one I have already paid in full for) and until they get the other top back it will not be taken off of my account. They said this is their policy.
So the moral of this story is if you ever order something from their catalog and they send you the wrong thing don't be honest and let them know, just keep it and save yourself the headache of dealing with a company that is more concerned with getting their merchandise back then taking care of their customer. I will never shop with them again and am closing my account as of today.
A  30th of Mar, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought a item a while back and when I got it was
very cheap material so I sent it back. It cost me shipping both ways so I ended up with nothing and it cost me. I will never shop there again.
A  2nd of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The swimsuit that I ordered from Newport News was too small. I returned it and received confrimation that the received the item on March 11, 2008.
As of today, April 2, 2008, they have still refused to refund my money by crediting my account. I have called the seven times regarding this matter and I am repeatedly told that they need more time to process the refund.
As a result of their shady business practices, I cancelled an order for an item that was on back order.
It is truly regrettable that this company is run in such a poor manner, because that do have good merchandise which the public would like to purchase.
It is also regrettable that their investors are losing money because of poor management.
I would suggest that anyone who plans to purchase anything from this company be very cautious and consider dealing with someone who has greater integrity and more concern for its customers.
I also suggest that any employee of this company may wish to consider working someplace else, because Newport News can not continue to operate in this manner and expect to stay in business.
A  2nd of Apr, 2008 by
D  11th of Jun, 2008 by
i have been waiting on my refund 3 wks manager tried to say they just receive it a couple day ago after he told me its been 15 days i need my money put back in my account plus the 25.00 percentage card i bought and never used
D  25th of Jun, 2008 by
My issues started when I was ordering 2 dresses for 2 upcoming weddings. The website said if you order 2 you get 20% off each. It didn't ring up that way so I called and was told I would need to buy 2 of the SAME dress. Why? No idea... so I ordered them anyway. I received a confirmaion of my order via email but the confirmation # is useless. You cannot check tracking info without a CUSTOMER #. The email I received said I would get another in 2 days. It never came, I sent 2 unanswered emails and called them again. Then I received my dresses - one was too big, the other had a faulty zipper. I called, expecting them to apologize and ship a new dress. Instead I was told they would ship a new one if I wanted to PAY for it and then it would be 4-6 weeks for my refund. So I said no way- I shouldn't have to go out of pocket for shody merchandise. So I sent the entire order back (2 dresses and shoes) and cancelled the purse that was on backorder. They refunded me my shipping charge on 06/17 and it is now 06/25 and I still do not have the money for my order in my account. I keep getting told it will be there "shortly". I'm going to dispute the charge through my bank instead because they are clearly useless. This doesn't even cover the way I was treated by their "customer service" department. They have been nothing but rude to me and have never even bothered to apologize. I will NEVER do business with them again and I have told everyone I know about my experience with them as well.
A  2nd of Jul, 2008 by
A couple months ago i made a purchase through Newport News initially the error was my fault. I accidentally put the wrong address on the order (off by 1 number), right after i submitted the order i caught the mistake and i called the GREAT Customer Service. They told me to call back in 1 hour when the system updated and i did. To my surprise the talented Newport News CS changed my billing address but not my shipping address. Therefore i recieved NOTHING! And was charged for it. I called and thousand times and I was refunded the money or so I thought. They only gave me a partial refund that i could never get any answers from I called and called and called and never recieved an explanation. I let it go because i just was tired of complaining to these people. Needless to say I recieved a bill yesterday for $87 i called and called and no one could give me logical answer their response to me was that i input the wrong address. Now what are you suppose to do as a consumer when you are threatened to have you credit ruined? I have ordered from many companies online and this is the worst i have ever been treated!!! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM NEWPORT NEWS! And i vow to let everyone else know what kind of company this is.
A  2nd of Jul, 2008 by
I've spent more than enough money at Newport News. So much so that I was made an honorary club member. What a laugh. I was treated better when I was nothing more than a regular customer number. After years of never having a problem, I immediately began to have one when I ordered a plethora of clothing. When they arrived, all was in place except for one item. A shirt was missing. I called them about the missing item at which they assured me would be sent out immediately. That was May 08. It's freaking July. I must have called a million times and every time I call, I get the "It will be shipped out asap speech." So I called today for the millionth time and finally, someone tells me it's still sitting in the warehouse as a packing error. What the ### does that mean? She advises me to call accounting tomorrow. You bet your sweet ### I will. Either send me my shirt or give me back my damn money. I'm done with Newport News. And to think how many people I told about them! Well, let's see how many more people I warn about them!
A  15th of Jul, 2008 by
I order many items via mail order and online but has very dissatisfied with Newport News! The quality of several of the items was terrible considering the price. When I returned an item that was waaaay too big and very cheap quality they charged me an extra $6.95 for the return. Needless to say I will never order from them again!
A  27th of Jul, 2008 by
WARNING: Newport News will you hold your refund hostage even if it is THEIR fault because they misbilled your account! Their products may be decent but the customer service hassle and the length of time it takes to get anything done is NOT worth it. Basically, I ordered some bathing suits and tried to exchange a couple of items because they were either the wrong size or had quality issues. I called to check on the exchange because it had been over a month and I still hadn't received anything. They said the exchange was processed as a full return and I needed to reorder the items. I reordered the items and then low and behold the prior exchange was finally processed and I was charged twice for the same order. I was assured the refund would be processed quickly upon receipt of the returned items and I would recieve a call from someone regarding these issues.

To date I have received neither the call nor the refund and it's been an additional 6 weeks! They said it would only be another few weeks and they apologize, apologize, apologize. How about you keep your apology and just give me back my da*n money that you shouldn't have taken in the first place?!? Seriously, who has four months to spend on a stupid bathing suit purchase? I'm done with Newport News.
A  15th of Aug, 2008 by
Newport News is a horror! I supplied my credit card number for a CONFIRMED purchase price, and received an email confirming this charge. Two days later, I receive an email saying the order has shipped, but they decided to charge my card a MUCH HIGHER PRICE without my consent! I authorized a charge for the confirmed amount, not a higher price! This is completely illegal (bait and switch???). When I told them I would refuse the delivery, I was told I would not be refunded for S&H!!! I am lodging a complaint and also disputing the entire purchase with my credit card company.
N  20th of Aug, 2008 by
I placed an order using a discount code. The order confirmation that Newport News gave me showed the discount, and what would be charged to my account. When I received the item, the packing label showed the charged WITHOUT the discount. I e-mailed Customer Service, and they said it had expired, so I didn't get the discount. I told them to order confirmation they provided showed the discount, and that was what I was to be charged. After several attempts to get the discount, they pretty much told me it was too bad. I never got the discount even with the proof shown on their confirmation. I removed my name from their mailing list, and will never shop with them again. They are very desceptive.
A  18th of Sep, 2008 by
Same here. Sent something back (at my own expense... paid $3 USPS instead of their $7) and they rec'd it on 8/27 according to USPS. Took several emails and phone calls to get them to admit they rec'd it, but they claim 9/2... conveniently adding 5 days. All I get from them is the runaround and empty answers like "please allow additional time for refund processing" when I ask them to look into it. Funny, I've seen refunds processed in seconds. You simply return it to the card, just like you took it. This isn't the dark ages. It's all done electronically, in moments. They obviously do this to everyone, and it's no accident... because the longer they keep everyone's money, the longer it sits in their accounts, earning millions in interest.

So here it is, 9/18. Still no refund, and still no acknowledgment in my online account on their website that I even returned it. This is the most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with. What a shady outfit.
N  30th of Sep, 2008 by
I totally agree with the comments about Newport News. I ordered $100 worth of merchandise back in August. I had a few items to return/exchange for other items. The actual return/exchange/refund process with Newport News is agonizing. They are extremely inefficient with regards to this area of their business. I was told on the phone by customer service that my exchanges were on their way over a week ago. Having still not received the items I called the company last night and found out that the items were STILL in the warehouse. It was incredible incompetence. The customer service is clueless and the company has no idea how to satisfy the consumer. I demanded a refund yesterday and spoke with a supervisor who assures me that she did a manual refund which should show up in my account within 7 days. I will wait and see what happens. At this point I have zero confidence in Newport News and will not order from them again.
A  30th of Sep, 2008 by
Though Newport News has cute clothes, I would not recommend buying anything from them that may need to be returned. Here's where they get you - I was not aware the "return" shipping would double and then you are charged an additional fee (for what I'm not sure). So the credit you think you are getting towards the next order is not really there and it turns ugly when you are charged owing them even more money including a $25.00 "late fee". I have just filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office, have closed my account and will never order from them again.
N  9th of Oct, 2008 by
Horrible customer service and return process
I had extremely bad experience, returned dresses more than month ago (with confirmation that they received it) didn't get refund (till now) refund not correct, instead of sum that they should refunded (dresses+tax- return label per THEIR web policy ) I got app 10+ dollars less. Whole return process is time consuming, they HOLD your item AND your money one month after they RECEIVE your items back, and then when they refund they don’t even state a sum! I needed to ask for it, and noticed that they refunded LESS than per their on-line legally binding policy. Still struggling to get my refund (took me at least 10 mails and over a month to get refund, even now not correct). Do avoid Newport-News, just problems with refund and return. I requested to be removed from their catalogue and e-mail lists. Never again I will give them my business
A  9th of Oct, 2008 by
I just called Newport News to request a date for my refund. They say it can take up to 60 days to get it on their recorded message though the website says only 15 days. They've had my items for over a month now. They received the item 2 days after I shipped it and it was just scanned into their warehouse 2 weeks later. Then on top of the 4 weeks I've been waiting, I was told it will take another week or two to process the refund.

I asked to speak to a supervisor to find out why it took so long and was told that I was not allowed to by my customer service rep Bernice ID#71828. When I asked if that was company policy she never answered my question. She only said that the supervisors were busy on the floor supervising her to talk to me, the customer. When I asked the name of her supervisor so I could write a letter, she said it was not their policy to give the supervisors name. I asked her if that was Newport News policy and she said it was.

This place is a rip off and a scam and they are not intent on helping the customer at all.

I'm going to call again to try to get a supervisor. If I can't get one, I'm going to report it as fraud on my credit card since they say I'll get my money in 15 days and I have not received it yet.
N  29th of Nov, 2008 by
Just to update my situation...I am still having massive problems with Newport News. I would advise EVERY consumer to shop elsewhere. They are clearing incompetent and shady. They are now trying to charge me for items I returned and they are very ruthless. They never admit their mistakes and even went so far as to charge another person's mastercard to force me to pay a bill for items I returned. Image my shock when they recited a charge account number which does not belong to me. Image the person's shock to be charged by newport news for items they didn't order. I really think this company shoudl be investigated by the Better Business Bureau.
A  2nd of Dec, 2008 by
Here's my update too: After filing a complaint with the "Attorney General's office" I did get a cold response from Newport News. It was vague and came across as they were completely justified. Also at the bottom of the letter, they clearly stated "not to respond to them". I am still out $58.00 for two returns and have learned my lesson. There are many complaints against this company.

Spiegel / Newport News Logo Spiegel / Newport News