National Floors Direct / bait and switch on carpet

1 CT, United States Review updated:

I ordered a high quality Shaw carpet. Though it was in stock, I elected to wait over a week for installation, so I could be guaranteed a morning installation. The day before installation, I called to confirm and was told they would call me the next morning but would not guarantee a time. I asked to speak with a customer service supervisor, and was connected to a person named Shirelle, who turned out not to be a supervisor. I asked the name of the owner of the company, and the head of customer relations, and she refused to tell me. (" We don't give out this information.") I googled and found a listing on the Better Business Bureau's web site that gave me all the information I needed (owner: Aaron Rosenberg. Customer Service Director: Charles Whipple) I spoke with Charles Whipple, and he arranged for a morning delivery. The installers arrived promptly, and di a great job, however, the carpet they installed was not the carpet I ordered. I confirmed this with the salesman, who checked the sample in the book from which I had ordered with what they had installed. The installed carpet and the pad (which was supposed to be the highest quality 8 lb. pad) were both flimsy builder's grade. I was never given a receipt or anything detailing what I had paid for, nor could they provide me with any proof of what had been installed. I phoned customer service from my home, and they spoke with the salesman, who told them about the problem. The customer service man told him "Whatever you do, don't live the sample book at the house."

I now have a call into Shaws (a rep from Shaws will verify that the carpet is not theirs), and also initiated a dispute with my credit card company, which will refund my payment until my carpet is replaced with what I ordered and paid for. (ALWAYS PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. IT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU ARE GUARANTEED PROTECTION IF A SALE GOES BAD.)

I did some more searching on google and learned that the company is owned by a father (Samuel Rosenberg AKA "Steve") and his sons Aaron and Dan. Samuel had a similar company in New Jersey that was shut down for exactly the kinds of practices that are complained about her. He is not supposed to do business for a number of years, so now the new business is in his son's names. This is fraud across the board, and the company should be shut down. I will file complaints with the Attorney General, Department of Consumer Protection, and Better Business Bureau.

National Floors Direct is NOT accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and they give it a "D" grade:
Here is the news release about Samuel Rosenberg's fraud conviction and the $1.3 Million he was ordered to pay in restitution to his defrauded customers.

Always pay with a credit card
Always demand a receipt showing what you ordered
If a company won't give you the name of the owner, that tells you what kind of business it is!

Comments

• Cb
      5th of Aug, 2009

They also did the bate and switch with me. We ordered Anderson Laminate hardwood flooring and were shown samples, the salesman stated that they were Anderson flooring. It wasn’t till after it was installed and had a problem with it that I discovered that it was a different brand. Even when the installers arrived at the house they had a different work order, the flooring was the same as I had picked out but I never saw the box or the label on the box. At the time I did not think anything of it.

When I called to inquire about the problem I discovered that the floors were not Anderson because the representative who I talked to said that I did not have Anderson flooring. I quickly expressed my concern and disappointment. Her response was basically "Oh well". My situation never was resolved.

I will never do business with them and would strongly recommend people not use them.

i will never do business with them and would strongly recommend people not use them.

• Fa
      5th of Oct, 2010

I paid a very large amount of money to have Anderson Exotic Jatoba Sunrise wood installed in my home a year ago. Big mistake! My floors have faded considerably. I expressed my concerns to the installers, who were not interested after promising to take care of any problems. Eventually after a few attempts they sent a rep. from Anderson to take a look at my flooring and said they would contact me. One year later, I still haven't heard from them even though i contacted the installers several times. I told them that I should have been warned of the fading and never would have made the purchase. I didn't purchase the wood from Anderson but the installers did. I am so disappointed in my floor and regret spending my hard earned money on it. It was supposed to last me a lifetime but I hate the sight of the faded hardwood floor. I also went ahead and spent extra money on the moisture barrier. I do wonder if my wood was also switched.

I will never purchase from them again neither recommend them.