Mr. Tire / price gouging on parts

1501 York Road, Cockeysville, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: (410) 628-1466

On Friday, April 16, 2010 I took my vehicle to Mr. Tire (located on 1501 York Road, Cockeysville, Maryland, 21030) to have my brakes checked. I left my vehicle there and returned to my office. I received a phone call from "Brad" advising all four rotars and brake pads would have to be replaced and it would cost $919.98. I told Brad I would call my husband and call him back. My husband called and spoke with Brad to get the cost breakdown. Brad proceeded to tell my husband that the cost for the parts alone was going to be $640.00. My husband proceeded to tell Brad that the parts at Advance Auto Parts cost $325.00 and that is the RETAIL price. Brad proceeded to tell my husband that the prices for the parts were marked up because "we have a business to run". My husband proceeded to tell Brad not to fix the brakes. I went and picked up my vehicle. My husband then purchased the brakes from Advance Auto Parts. He purchased the mid grade brakes for $325.00 including tax and had them installed elsewhere. How can Mr. Tire charge someone 100% markup for parts??? My husband thinks it is because I am a female so they tried to rip me off!!! I WILL NEVER TAKE MY VEHICLE THERE AGAIN AND I WILL BE SURE TO TELL EVERYONE I KNOW AND DON'T KNOW NOT TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES THERE OR THEY WILL BE RIPPED OFF TOO!!!

Rs

Comments

• Bl
      5th of Dec, 2010

My mom had the same problem. They tried to price gouge her and she walked away laughing because they obviously thought they'd get over on her since she was a female.

• Ap
      4th of Oct, 2011

They are the worst. I went there to get 4 new tires. I had priced them out and knew what I needed. They tried to tell me I needed $2, 000 worth of tires - Should have been $800. Then amazingly I needed my breaks done. I got the $800 tires - went to dealership to check breack - they still had 74% wear left. Later found out they used my spare tire as one of the new tires and replaced it with a wrong sized donut. Since then I go only to the dealership, where I have bought 5 cars from
    . It may cost a bit more, but I know they will do a good job and not try to get one over on me.