Motherhood Maternity / Terrible customer service!

1 Des Moines, IA, United States Review updated:

I purchased an outfit from one store. When I got home, I discovered that the shirt had a security tag. I returned to the store to have the tag removed and was told the store did not have the device to remove it. They called another mall - across town - to find out if the other Motherhood store had the device. They didn't. I was told that I'd have to return with the pants a few days later when the manager was in to return the outfit. I asked if I could exchange the shirt for the shirt on another outfit in the same size with the same pants. I was told no.

I returned with the entire outfit a few days later. The manager offered either an exchange or store credit. I asked for a refund. She said that she'd have to fill out a form and submit it to headquarters. Headquarters would likely deny the refund because the outfit was not returned because of a "medical condition". This whole process would take 4-6 weeks.

A medical condition? Why in the world would I share a medical condition with Motherhood Maternity?

I am really appalled at their "customer service".

Comments

4th of Oct, 2007
    Motherhood Maternity - Horrible customer service!

Motherhood Maternity Clothes
    www.motherhood.com

Several months after my son was born I decided it was time to buy some new nursing bras, I had been shopping at motherhood throughout my pregnancy and bought a few nursing shirts there as well so obviously that's where I went to get my nursing bra.

The employee there was not very helpful, I asked her how to tell what size I was and how to tell if the bra I tried on fit properly and the only advice she had for me was that it should "touch my skin all around", she never offered to measure me and I didn't think to ask her to (after all it wasn't victoria's secret). I thought this was going to be the most comfortable bra I'd ever worn but after 1 hour of wearing it, it was obvious that exactly the opposite was going to happen. The underwire dug into my skin on both sides and it was too small, I tried to exchange it for another size a few days later but the girl told me "all sales are final".

Motherhood has lost a loyal customer and I'll stick to buying my nursing bras at walmart from now on, at least they let me exchange no questions with a receipt.

• Br
      4th of Oct, 2007

I have worked in customer service for a number of years and all I have to say is I'm sorry for your experience. If you want a good nursing bra you need to go to a specialty shop to get fit. They guarantee their bras if they fit them and you should ask them if they do BEFORE you get fit. As a bra fitter I know the importance of this. Because Motherhood is a chain store, often their sales staff is not properly trained to fit, they are trained to sell. I always recommend anything by Anita, they have great nursaing bras, and of course my own brand, Milk and Honey Designs, which will be available next spring, not much help to you now:) If you have any questions about bras or how they fit please feel free to email me and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Blessings,
    Brandee Anderson
    Milk and Honey Designs Inc.
    www.milkandhoneyfits.com

• He
      19th of Nov, 2007

I recently tried to get a refund because the shirt I bought had a security tag and they couldn't remove it. I was told that a refund would take 4-6 weeks and would probably be denied because I don't have a medical reason. I'm sorry, but it's their fault that the shirt is unwearable, not mine. And even if I did have a medical reason, I'm surely not going to tell them!!!

• Fr
      8th of Jul, 2008

How stupid are you to now know how a bra fits you? I have never needed to be measured for a bra, nursing or otherwise, its all basic. Quit picking on underpaid retail employess and work on your basic intellegence.

• Fr
      8th of Jul, 2008

Oh, and the fact that you mentioned how you would rather shop at wal mart shows how stupid you really are. I am so sure you will get measured there and be able to buy a used nursing bra with dried milk in it.

• Ka
      10th of Oct, 2008

A medical condtion means you miscarried. I was told if you miscarry they will refund you. It's to keep people from returning clothes after they are done being pregnant for money. The same reason you can't return a wedding dress, because people would return the dress after the wedding was over to get their money back. So that is why those type of stores offer store credit only.

• Si
      24th of Sep, 2010

motherhood doesn't use security tags