Motherhood Maternity / Poor customer service

The employees of this store made us feel small and almost guilty for not buying more items. After trying on a few things my wife only wanted the shorts for 16.99, the manager (I presume) began a barrage of questioning as to why we did not want to buy other items and with a very poor attitude at that. Then after finally avoiding her, the girl who ran our credit card asked us for a bunch of sensitive personal information all without telling us why!?! Then, she forced us to take a credit card application even after we said no. Then to top it all off, after the sale was complete, she told us there was no returns on the item we bought because it was a sale item... AFTER we bought it. This is very poor customer service and we vowed not to shop there again.

Comments

• Fr
      8th of Jul, 2008

I am sure they don't care, if you are only buying one item they would rather you didn't anyway.

• Be
      16th of Dec, 2014
    Motherhood Maternity - Dione, customer service
    Motherhood Maternity

I shop online almost exclusively. I am pregnant and have continued that trend utilizing the destination maternity website. I placed an order on Sunday evening and the website offered 2-day shipping for an additional $16. The website said that, based on the time of my order, the items would be shipped out on Tuesday and I would receive them on Thursday. I am going out of town for Friday so, despite a deep rooted aversion to shipping costs at all, I made the additional investment to get the clothes for my trip.

Today, I received an email that said one of the five items I ordered was shipped. I called the “customer service” line to inquire about the remaining items. What proceeded was the most horrific customer interaction I have ever been a part of. From the minute I explained my situation, the customer service representative, Dione, was surly and condescending. I asked about the rest of the items and while she was looking them up, she took the opportunity to scold me for not reading the fine print. You see, apparently at Destination Maternity, items go out of stock all the time and the website includes verbiage which releases them from any promise made to a customer about shipment times. She said, “there could have been a hundred other people who ordered those items that night and beat you to it”.

Okay. So, I didn’t read the small print and believed that if I paid for 2-day shipping that my items would be shipped and delivered on the days advertised by the website. I guess that was my error? In the years I have been shopping online, that has never been an issue, but I was told they reserve the right to change shipment dates at will. She tried to comfort me, though, by explaining that when the backordered items were shipped that I wouldn’t be charged the $16 again. Really??? Would a reasonable person even expect that?

At this point, I was frustrated, not only by the situation and the representative’s lack of knowledge about the availability of my items and a timeline on when they would be shipped, but by the complete lack of respect from this person. She was rude, interrupted me, and essentially said that the situation was my fault for not reading the fine print on the website.

I then asked why I wasn’t notified that all of these items were on backorder. Obviously I paid for expedited shipping because I needed them quickly so I asked why I wasn’t informed. Her response was, and I am not exaggerating, : “we don’t have time to email every customer with a backordered item. We would be sending out hundreds of emails a day.” Really?

At this point, I was so shocked at the responses she was giving me and the caliber of customer service that I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was informed that she could pass along a message and I would receive a call within 24 hours. Even though the call center was in Philadelphia (EST) and it was 3:00, I couldn’t speak to anyone about my horrible experience.

I ended up leaving a message for a woman who I assume was a manager or supervisor and have yet to get a phone call. This was the single worst experience I have ever had with any store: online or otherwise. Not only do I plan to avoid shopping at these stores moving forward, I would suggest other pregnant women be careful when trusting their orders and money to Motherhood Maternity's online website.