Monitronics / Misleading and deceptive sales tactics

Dallas, United States

This company uses extremely aggressive sales tactics and misleads and deceives consumers into entering into five-year contracts that the company refuses to cancel. Company representatives knock on consumers' doors, offer to install security systems for free, and then charge a $60 monthly fee for five years.

This is a classic violation of the federal Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices Act. This law is enforced by the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Federal Trade Commission. If you are another consumer who has been taken advantage by Monitronics, I recommend filing a complaint with both agencies. The CFPB particularly uses the complaints it receives to determine when to initiate enforcement proceedings, which can result in enforcement orders and civil money penalties (I.e., fines) for the company involved. Their website is: consumerfinance.gov.

The company's collection agency also commits violations of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Our credit card number changed when our card was reissued after the Home Depot breach and so the automatic payments we had been making did not go through. We called the collection agency that had been harassing us and my husband asked to cancel the contract. The agent said they would cancel if we paid our two past due payments. My husband paid the two payments over the phone and then they refused to let us cancel. This is another law that is enforced by the CFPB, so if you have experienced a similar situation, go file a complaint on consumerfinance.gov like we did.

Te