Menards / unlawful restraint plus

1 Marion, IL, United States Review updated:

I went to Menards in Marion, IL. on April 9th to pick up a window 24"x30". I was ask to drive around the back on the store for pick up. The guard at the gate told me, door 9. An employee of Menards put in my back seat as I asked. I drove back to the gate. When I stop at the gate the guard asked to look in the trunk. I said, "no the window is in the back seat." The guard didn't even look in my seat but said "you are not leaving till I look in your trunk!" I said, "You are no looking in my trunk when the item is in the back seat." (This now is a unlawful restraint.) The guard call the police. I told the police officer they had no reason to look in my trunk. Will the trunk was opened. The guard then started looking in my bags, ask if there were shoes in the shoe boxes and did they come from ***"s Sporting Goods? Then look at all my other bags with more guestions. Closed my trunk and opened the gate I was free to go.

I was sick...

Va

Comments

• Me
      1st of May, 2008

The pickup area is a secure area on private property. What did the police say when they arrived?

• Av
      30th of Nov, 2008

Maybe if you would look at the huge 4 ft by 4ft sign before you enter the yard that says your vehicle "including the trunk" will be inspected upon leaving, you wouldn't have this problem? they checked your trunk because like many other retailers Menards suffers from theft, especailly through people loading merchandise in the yard that was not payed for and attempting to leave through the gate with it. I am sure if you made a living on retail you may have the same concerns for protecting your merchandise? My suggestion is not to have any skeletons in your trunk next time you try to leave a lumberyard gate...

• Di
      18th of Oct, 2009

It's not unlawful restraint, it's a legitimate request based on the legitimate concern that there could be something in there that's not paid for. By being so adamant about the guard not looking in the trunk you "red flagged" yourself as a potential thief, which is probably why he so thoroughly went through your personal belongings. If you had just popped the trunk when he asked you to he probably would have taken a quick glance and sent you on your way.