[Resolved] MakeMyTrip / customer services/charges

Hi

I recently had the misfortune of booking tickets with makemytrip.com (I am based in the US). I used the chat service and due to I guess language problems, the agent ended up booking a day later than I wanted so the 18th Dec rather than 17th Dec, even though on my chat I clearly said I wasn't in a position to make a decision about the 18th. Anyway after much complaining they said they were able to get me on the 17th but it would be $300 extra. For all the aggravation I figured just to pay the $300 and be done with it. The agent stated that the extra $300 was to get into ‘Economy plus’. After checking back a day later another agents says it is just the standard economy. I’ve been trying to get confirmation on this but its near impossible. I’m happy to pay the difference but I am annoyed I was told it was for one thing, only to be told something different later. This type of business may work on India, but it doesn’t work in the US where the consumer is more vocal.

The other issue was that my credit card company charged me a foreign transaction fee for this purchase. The purchase was made in Dollars but it was done in India. MakeMyTrip made NO disclosure that the transaction would be done aboard. They have a US based phone number, US based website and US based address. While I do not expect them to know what kind of charges the credit card company may levy, I do expect them to give a warning ‘Your credit card company may charge you a fee for this’. Had I have known this; I would have taken my business elsewhere.

What is interesting is that when I contacted MakeMyTrip about the fee, they were rather receptive and asked me to send proof and they would refund the fee. While this was a pleasant surprise it sounds very suspicious. I don’t know of many companies that would refund credit card based fees. It makes me wonder if there is something fishy about their operations and they refunded the fee so that I don’t complain to the Visa…Maybe they avoid paying taxes in the US this way…..maybe I am thinking a little too much into this.

Anyway bottom line, find a another agent to do business with. I will not use makemytip.com again if I can help it. I won’t recommend the company to my family or friends, infact I will do the opposite and warn them away from it.

• Resolution statement

• MakeMyTrip Customer Care's Response, Sep 17, 2010

Hello,

With reference to your post, please share your Booking ID so we may assist you further. You are requested to email the same to [protected]@makemytrip.com.

Regards,

MakeMyTrip Care

• MakeMyTrip Customer Care's Response, Oct 24, 2010

Hello meppayil,

Regards,

MakeMyTrip Care

Comments

• Me
      Oct 03, 2010

stay away from makemytrip.com... recently I purchased air tickets for my family from their web site in US and used my credit card... they have a New York office mentioned on their web site but charged my credit card from India causing me 3% of Foreign Transaction Fee... upon request, as reported in the first post, they asked me the proof of my credit card bill and promised a refund of the FTF... I sent the proof but never got any refund as promised... when I called them aging, they said they will escalate the issue to their finance department... many days have passed since then but never received any response or a refund

• Fo
      Mar 03, 2011

All,
    There are so many people facing the same issue. They did the same with me too. I just sent the snapshot to them. They promised refund with in 10 ndays. If I do not get the same, I will seek some legal help here. Anyone wants to join me? I think we can all fight this togather if we do not get the refund.
    Also, we are not being harsh to anyone here. I very well know what is a foreign transaction fee. I have done international transactions earlier. But when you go to a US website "us.makemytrip.com" and everything is told in USD, you see a US toll free number, you expect the company to make the transaction with in US and not an international transaction. They never mention that the transaction will be made in India. I have earlier done some India domestic bookings on "Indian tarvel sites" using my US credit card and I have been charged FTF. But I never questioned them because in those cases I knew there will be an FTF and I was able to make informed decisions.
    Maky my trips provides good fare. But what they do here is not fair.
    Thanks,