Lululemon Clothing / bad return policy and customer service

I just wanted to share an experience with the Lululemon company. They make yoga-pilates-fitness apparel and I would encourage anyone who reads this to please pass it on and to not support this company because they do not support people that buy their products.

I received one of their jackets as a birthday gift and unfortunately, it was too small. So I took it in to the local Lululemon store and was told that they would not allow me to exchange the item for one that fit because it had been more than 2 weeks since the time of purchase. Disappointed, I left the store and headed home to call the corporate office with hopes that they would be more reasonable.

My experience with their corporate representative was even more frustrating. The guy I talked to actually admitted that he was comfortable knowing that someone had spent close to $100 on a jacket that I will never be able to use because it's too small.

Therefore, I'm just trying to spread the word that lululemon products will make TERRIBLE gifts unless you are 100% sure it will fit who you are buying it for.

The representative said he didn't think they were being unreasonable, but I disagree. Earlier in the day I had returned a paid of sandals to REI that I purchased in October and had no problems. Thank you REI! Another example of a company that knows the meaning of customer service is Patagonia. They not only support the environment by donating a percentage of their profits to environmental organizations, but they support their consumer by always being open to returns or exchanges until you are 100% happy with what you have.

What is the most surprising is how they claim to be a company that supports yoga principles, which would include compassion, and yet they did not offer me any such thing. Their stance was that was the policy and too bad that someone spent money on something I cannot use.

Lululemon is not the only place to get yoga-pilates-fitness clothes and I would just like to encourage everyone to support companies that support the customer... which means not shopping for or buying lululemon products.

Ri

Comments

• Es
      14th of Dec, 2009

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. While they make your butt look better, yes, the pants totally pill - after 2 wears and 2 washes??! I took them back to the store and tried to exchange them for the same exact pants --- I didn't even want my money back. And they wouldn't do it! It's been less than 3 weeks since I have had these and I have the receipt. The expense does not match the quality. Other bloggers have written about pilling too. At least stand behind the quality of your product! I even called the corporate office. They said the same thing as the store --- it must be the way you are washing them. Interesting customer service tactic. I didn't realize how fragile I had to be for a pair of supposed durable workout pants that are meant to with hold numerous workouts and washing. The care instructions that I found on their website (not in the bag or on the garment)said don't wash with cotton (seriously??), air dry, wash on delicate, don't wash with zippers, buttons, velcro, towels, etc. I mean, come on. These pants should be able to with stand for something so pricey. They have barely been used!

• Li
      21st of Jan, 2010

I recently had the same experience. I didn't get to exchange Christmas gifts with my friend until this weekend because we live in different cities. The jacket that I gave her was too small, so she went to exchange it (the very next day). It was past the small window of time allowed, and they wouldn't even give her a store credit. I had purchased the jacket at full price! (I will have to buy my friend another gift).

My friend and I have decided to boycott Lululemon, as the products are cute, but not that cute (and expensive). I appreciate stores like Nordstrom and REI even more now, as they treat the customers right.
    Just say no to Lululemon! Please tell all of your friends to shop elsewhere!

P.S. The clerks in San Diego (area) were almost rude to my friend, and online customer service was no help at all...

• Re
      2nd of Mar, 2010

Lululemon is like every other corporation, but perhaps more disappointing because they allege to have principles. I had a jacket who material was deteriorating after about six weeks of wear. They took it back, but I think that it is VERY conditional on which store you go to -- meaning you may have to try multiple stores and even then you may have no luck.

I wish that I could give up shopping at Lululemon. It is expensive, the sales associates think that they are doing you a favor by selling you their product (and of course window shopping is highly frowned upon) and the return policy is very stingy. Though I buy other things there, the pants are great for tall girls. . . That said, I have read several reviews about the material pilling. I own several pairs of their pants from a previous year with no problem. It is criminal to pay $100 for a pair of pants that pill. I have seen this problem with some of their hoodies too.

Keep the strength boycott if you can. Otherwise, when you have a problem, try multiple stores to see if they will take back the merchandise, and for gifts buy them at the last possible moment and make sure to tell the recipient... Obnoxious yes but what are you going to do.

• Ha
      28th of Mar, 2011

I have never had a problem. It says right on the bottom of the receipt their return policy. You need to abide by the rules. Not their fault.

Also the past two years at xmas I bought gifts for friends, and they told me the return policy was extended. I was able to buy a present end of NOVEMBER and my friends could still exchange it until mid JANUARY. Learn to follow the policies.

• 44
      22nd of Jun, 2011

BAD EXPERIENCE @ LULULEMON
    I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THERE AGAIN
    I had bought a top for my daughter for her Birthday in Aventura, FL, and when she tried to exchange it for a different size, they REFUSED, because it was just outside of their 14 day return policy, which appeared ambiguous to me, and it was a GIFT.  They failed to put a Gift receipt in the bag with the top, and the sales girl well knew it was a gift, because I requested it be gift wrapped, which they CANNOT DO either.

Customer Service, I do not see it, even after I spoke to their corporate offices, they still refused to accept the exchange.  Hopefully, this blog will send them a message that customer service comes first, and would have been more profitable in the long run.

For me, I will NEVER BUY any LULULEMON again.  You might not want to either if you support me and real customer service.

• Mo
      3rd of Jul, 2011

I purchased a pair of shorts from them and didn't try them on thinking if they didn't fit they would return or exchange them...oh how wrong I was. They were so horrible that I decided to head back and google them on compliants. I will never support this company ever! There are other businesses that deserve my support and money. I will be sure to tell everyone I know how BAD this company is!!!

• Da
      3rd of Jan, 2012

I have to agree with most of these comments. Just got back from Burlington (MA) Mall and they refused to accept a shirt back one week after Christmas, with receipt from 12-21, because it didn't have a tag, which may or may not have been there in the first place. I'm now going to go upstairs and go through the rest of the 12-21 purchase to return everything with a tag out of spite.

31st of Jan, 2012

I will never wear luluemn's sub-standard clothing again. All that I have is going to the bin because I don't even want to donate the items to charity and have someone else put up with their poor fabrics and workmanship. I complained to a store in Australia about how a wrap of theirs is leaving black fluff every where; anything I wear underneath the garment turns black and gets covered in black fluff The shop assistant proudly told me she has three of the same item i was complainng about and politely told me that's how the wrap is - it just continues to shed fluff !! I can't see their success continuing long term. I think this is a short term brand.

14th of Feb, 2012

I received two very nice yoga tops for Christmas, with the tags still on, still in the tissue paper and the gift receipt staples to the tag. Their tops run small and all I wanted was to exchange the tops for a larger size. I was told that they will not return or exchange after 14 days, even for equal value. I will do all my shopping at Athleta from now on as they have a lifetime guarantee and excellent products. I will be encouraging others to do the same.

• Em
      14th of Feb, 2012

I phoned up one day to a Austrailain store for product information, i simply wanted to know if they had a Skirt in store (if so i would have brought it) the guy on the phone was so rude to me, had a big attitude and didnt even bother to look for the garment. went in to see if it was there after he told me "no... we dont even have it yet it hasnt come in austraila" i found it was there and it has been in stock for several weeks now. luckly the girls that served me were very very nice and helpful. the product is very expensive but i havent had any problems as of yet with the fabric or make so im pretty happy with it.

• Wo
      7th of Jul, 2012

I purchased two items on line. I tried both on. One fit excellent. The other, I knew immediately that they wouldn't work for me. Too short in the rise. I took them off, put them in the bag and went to UPS the next day to mail them back. Then received an email saying they couldn't return them because they have been worn. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?. I have always loved their clothes. It's pretty much all I wear. MY husband even purchased $400 worth of their clothes 2 weeks ago in San Diego.
    Their warehouse is FRAUDULANT. I will never buy their clothes again.

• Ad
      9th of Jan, 2013

I tried to find a larger size jacket in the same color that I got for a gift, so I went to Annapolis store and they did not have one. They would not even look for one at another store for me. I called the online number and got the same rude comment that we cannot do that. What other store in the US does not look up another of their store to find the customer the correct size - all of them do except Lulu. Extremely bad customer service. I called over 15 stores and found one thousands of miles away but they cannot mail it to me or take a credit card over the phone finally found the one I needed but they cannot hold it or take a credit card over the phone. So I called the online again and asked them to get it from them and send it to me NOT!!! So I finally found one closer to home and they cannot even hold it for me. I will drive there tomorrow to see if they still have it. It appears that LuLu does nt want to try to take care of their customers so where else can I find these products with a better name and service?

• Qu
      1st of Mar, 2013

I agree! I had worn my lulus twice and they had already started to pill and fade even though I followed washing instructions- and the material is much thinner and lower quality than was expected and the store did nothing for me.

• Tm
      16th of Jul, 2013

Based on my experience with this company I do not think it will stay in business for too long due to their bad customer service. I understand that the shipping and return rules are there for a reason and should be abide by but if the company is not willing to make exception when they know customer has a valid reason (with proof) for not being able to meet their return policy requirements, there is something seriously wrong with their customer relation philosophy.
    I tried to reason with their customer service rep and have her check tracking information to confirm that the package was on hold for a week at FedEx office due to no one being at my home because of death in the family. The package was held at FedEx for 5 business days before my wife picked it up. I returned a week later to open the package and try out the 5 items I purchased. Unfortunately I needed a larger size because lululemon products are relatively fitted than the other sports ware brands. I checked online and most of the items I purchased were either out of stock or not available in the larger size. So assuming I am within the 14 day return policy period (based on the date my wife picked up the package it's been 9-days) I expected I would be allowed to return the items for refund but to my surprise after spending more than 45 minutes with the customer rep. I was not able to convince that individual to accept the return, because if you add 7 days the package was at FedEx Office I have had the package for 18 days (4 days more than their return policy period. I even told the customer service rep that I can her prof that I was out of the country due to death in family so she can make an exception but that did not happen.
    I have never dealt with a company like this one before and based on my experience either this company is hurting really bad financially or some idiot is running their customer relations department...

• By
      29th of Nov, 2013

I expect Lululemon will not last. Their customer service is deffinately sliding and with so many about quality. I recently made an on-line purchase and before it was shipped to me I noticed the price was reduced. Just hours after my purchase. Their customer care told me too bad, they will not accomodate the sale price. So when I recieve my purchase i will promptly return it and never shop this company again.

• Wa
      22nd of Oct, 2014

I purchased some products online and realised that I gave a shipping address that does not have a doorman to receive the package. Thus, I called their GEC/customer service soon after purchasing online. I gave the correct address the customer rep as my purchase hasn't gone out yet and still in process.

However, she told me that there is no way to change the address. We have to wait until it is delivered, then rerouted back to the warehouse before this mistake is resolved. This would mean that I'll get our items double the amount of time than usually estimated.

I realise that it was my mistake in writing the wrong address but I find this very inefficient on the part of Lululemon considering that they cannot coordinate amongst themselves (ie orders vs warehouse/shipment section) so that the address can be amended before it is being shipped. I literally rang up GEC five minutes after purchasing the order. I expected more professionalism from Lululemon than this.

• Er
      19th of Dec, 2015

The company has no integrity. Three times I have seen it change the fit on a specific product without changing the name. The customer buys it, wears it, figures it is wrong and then they won't take it back. They are arrogant in the stores--just a bunch of brats. Online, they insult you and try a bunch of double-talk to make you give up. Bottom line: Shop at Nordstrom or Athleta. Both respect the customer and will accept returns readily.

• Fa
      17th of Jun, 2016

I have been buying lululemon for years. When I first noticed Low ratings on lululemon I just dismissed it as women ordering the wrong size, not caring for them properly etc but I'm just now realizing that yes indeed they are no longer the same company as when it began. My old leggings are outliving my new ones by far, how does that make sense? If your paying $100 a pop shouldn't they be top quality that you don't have to tippy toe around In order for them not to pill. I ordered two pairs of align paints, amazing at first(they feel like butter) unfortunately the one pair came with frays and it only got worse and they pilled within months. All in all I can handle that but when I called customer service I was appalled. The man was offended, said they were meant for yoga, like that's the only activity that I can do while wearing them hence its my fault that they pilled. So they are allowing me to return them but the way they made me feel as a customer...I'm done.

• Pe
      29th of Jun, 2016

I ordered items online in the amount of at least $300+ last June 25, 2016. I got the email confirmation June 26, 2016 that my items are on it's way. I tracked the package everyday to make sure that I will have it before we go on vacation. I received the package June 29, 2016 but the package was swapped with someone who lives in Massachusetts. I called customer service and Allie said that she can't help me with my missing items. I was instructed to either print the return label or a fedex guy will come to my house to pick up the wrong package. I said to her that I am not wasting another minute waiting for someone to pick up the package that Lululemon mistakenly sent to my home address. Allie from Lululemon Vancouver also said that I will have to call all the stores and ask them if they have the items I want and that I have to repurchase it. So I said to her I need to speak to a manager. Allie from Lululemon said: we have no manager here and that someone from our resolution team will call you back within 48 hours. I thought online shopping is suppose to be convenient but she said there is no guarantee until you receive the items you purchase. Wow i guess we all just have to shop at the stores if they cannot guarantee anything you buy online especially if you are going on vacation and you are planning to bring the items with you. Below is a screen shot of the email they sent me. As you can see they were not even apologetic. Please beware of online shopping with Lululemon. There are so many stores with better customer service and much better quality.

• Yo
      21st of Jul, 2016

Agreed. Their return policy is terrible. I had asked the sales clerk if I could return some underwear and she said no problem within the 2 weeks as long as they are new in the box. When I went to return them because they didn't fit right, a different clerk was there and said whoever said that didn't know the policy and that underwear is final sale as stated on the receipt. Well you don't get the receipt until after you purchased it and I had asked her prior to purchasing the underwear. Finally, the manager said she would give 50% store credit. This is after I purchased 10 pairs of underwear and tried to return or exchange the items only after 2 days. All but one underwear were never even taken out of the box. I called the customer service and they were even worse. They said that each store is "entrepreneurial" and can make their own decisions and they could do nothing more. okay, so I run a fitness center and will definitely be promoting Athleta and actively not promoting Lululemon. What goes around will come around. Their responses were not even reasonable.