Ludlow Thompson / Rent

1 London England Greater London, United Kingdom

I have rented this room in a house with 3 other people in 7 Aug 2014. Three of them have moved out in September 2015. When the three tenants have moved in, the 3 people in the house that moved out asked for a new contract to register the new tennats. This was asked in August 2014. The contract was sent to us end of November, beginning of December, after contacting the agent many times and almost begging for that document to be sent to us. In the same time, the new tenants as well as myself have forwarded the payments monthly accordingly. However, because the new tenants were not registered yet with the system, the payments have been misplaced several times, but every time, we have called and received confirmation via email that the payments have been located and added accordingly and there were no arrears. In December, the contract was signed by all 4 people in the house including myself and sent to the agent to register us all and be able to locate the payments in the future. In December, after sending the contract, the new tenants and myself have again contacted the agent to confirm again that all the payments until that date have been located. Bank statements were sent to support our claim that the money was delivered every month, according to the date in the contract every month. We have received emails confirming that the payments have been received and registered and all arrears were cleared. Then I have received a letter that we owe Ludlow Thompson over £2000 which is the equivalent of the payments that have been misplaced. All the emails and confirmations that the payments have been registered were false. The letter threatens to mark us as "BAD PAYEE" and flag us to all the referencing agencies. I am worried about this as this will ruin my chance to get a property in the future, despite having done nothing wrong and having the documents to prove it. I do not know what is the best way to deal with this situation. I do not trust the current agent to handle this situation as all the emails we have that all arrears have been cleared are all a lie at this point. And we are also threatened because we believed it. Now I am looking into how can I seek legal help against them if this goes out of hand.

Re