Long Fence / Fence Installation

1 VA, United States Review updated:

My entire experience with Long Fence, Chantilly VA, has left me wishing that I had taken the time to at least perform an internet search on complaints about the company prior to having work performed. That was my mistake. First the positive: Salesmen was prompt and provided a written and pictorial drawing of the fence, installation crew showed up on the day they were scheduled to arrive, they installed the fence. Okay that sums up the positive parts. Now the negative and yet to be resolved part: I would like to make an analogy about the work but feel that any reference I use would be taken in the wrong way, so lets just say that I could have done a better job after going on a week long drinking fest and only working at night, while drunk, with no lights. The fence is supposed to have 1 1/2 inch spacing and be tight to the ground. We have small dogs and the reason for the fence was, DUH! To keep the dogs in! So needless to say the fence neither has 1 1/2 inch spacing nor is it tight to the ground. In fact there are many places that we have pilled rocks to block the space under the fence. And to top it off the construction foreman that collected the payment, LOST the envelope. I have spoken to my salesmen who assured me that it would be taken care of. Not sure who's life time he was using as a reference point. Needless to say, it will cost me more money to have the fence properly installed by a reputable contractor. Lesson learned.

Ta

Comments

• Mg
      1st of Sep, 2011

We made the same mistake - it took weeks and weeks to get it done, it wasn't done when promised at least 2 times and when it was done - it looked like a bunch of drunk kids had put it together. Boards weren't evenly spaced and it was crooked and not flush to the ground. Some parts had nails where they were barely held into the boards and they were separating already after only a couple weeks. I think they drove up to the local 7-11 and picked up random guys to put the fence together. Not a one of them spoke English as well. Foreman was supposed to, but was he ever there ??? I have no idea. It nearly took a letter to the CEO to get it "corrected" and even that was a loose term at best. The boards started separating and warping again and we were told - oh the "warranty" only covers a year from contract date.. Nice... I will NEVER EVER use them for fencing again. Shoddy crappy work done by people who had no desire to do a quality job the first time. Materials were shoddy as well. My neighbors had another fence company do their work and paid about half what I did and their fence still looks beautiful while mine.. well.. let's just say, no one will be asking me who did my fencing unless they want to make sure they know who NOT to use..

• Kr
      10th of Apr, 2013

Also used Long Fence due to their long standing in the business world. Hurricane Sandy demolished our 6' tall board on board fence. We had a family of 4 or 5 Spanish people, who basically are SUB-CONTRACTORS!! Of course, this was not explained at the beginning. As other folks here, i believed that it would be actually Long Fence employees, who gave a damn about their reputation, but i was silly in 'assuming', remember it makes an *ss out of you and me!! I am still on the phone trying to get issues resolved: marks in yard where they had a dumpster put, big rocks alll throughout the yard (for my mower to hit), my main gates are kept shut with a bungee cord, they are already starting to hang/droop, and large areas under the fence and 4 dogs, yes, fence was to keep dogs in the yard. Told them no signs on fence, we will NOT help give them future business!!!