LocalNet / Watch your credit card statements

1 325 Hampton Hill DriveWilliamsville, NE, United States Review updated:

We moved 9 months ago. Called and cancelled our service with LocalNet (ISP) last June. Asking them specifically if we needed to do anything else. Nope...we were set! (They did NOT request a letter at this time)

Fast forward to yesterday. We get a bill claiming we owed the for January and February of... this year. (6 Months after we had moved to a different address.) Their story was that they had put our account on HOLD for six months...(why would we put it on HOLD when we were moving out of the house) so that was not true. When we told them this then they said..."Oh, then we didn't get a cancellation letter." They did not ask for it when we cancelled and why would they put it on hold if we had not contacted them to cancel in the first place.

Now they send a letter of demand... threatening to take us to court if we do not pay $37. Bully tactics and I'm mad. It's not a lot of money but it is fraudulant business practice and it turns my stomach. They figure the little guy will just pay and be done with it.

Please research LocalNet and watch your credit card statements.

Va

Comments

18th of May, 2008

I recently called local net to cancel my services, first they said ok and said that it was cancelled. then they took the money out of my checking that next month. we called again and they said that we had to either fax or send a letter so we faxed them the letter on april 22nd we were set they said that it would be cancelled well it wasn't they took more money out of my account on may 16th so we called them again and they said that they didn't recieve the letter that we faxed. so now we will email them and if that doesn't work we will call an attourney.

• Te
      15th of Jun, 2008

I have tried to Cancel the service because it does not work on my comp theirs know modem so i called to let them know that i did not used their service and ask not to take any money out of my account but did anyway so i am asking once again not to take any more money if you want your CD back i will send it back Thank You Tencia Brown Please caontact at 909 9887983 in the mornings and 9096238543 in the evening with an answer.

• Gl
      19th of Jun, 2008

I think this company is a big fraud and profiting off of customers who may not know about all the computer parts.

Localnet is the worst internet service i have ever encountered. In May i called local net because i thought the price was good. I told the customer service person i was still with at&t dsl. I asked if i could switch over to dial up and then cancel at&t. I was assured this was possible. I was switched over to tech support and they could not get me connected. Tech support told me to cancel at&t first then call back. This little switch was a big hassle so I called them back right a way to cancel and was told i would have to send email or fax to billing . I emailed billing to cancel the service on May 14th and 20th. They took my 24.95 out of my acccount on May 15. I told them that i never recieved the service or used the service and wanted my money refunded they basically said that the problem was not theirs and that my computer was at fault. I told them that they were getting free money for services that could not be used by customers. I'm going to see who i can contact to get my money back. I am also going to contact an attorney general for guidance on this company anybody else interested??????I got an address if anybody wants it . Manager: Ryan Hardy
    170 Lawrencebell Dr. Williamsville, New York stay tuned for more info or contact me if you have any ideas about how we can get refunds, because this business needs to go out of business.

Gloria

• Ju
      21st of Aug, 2008

We used local net about 3 weeks and found it was not a dsl as advertized so we cancelled it and went with another server, but local net has been a nightmare ever since. We tried for over a year to cancel with them. After a year and 4 mos. and many requests, we finally had to cancel our credit card they were using and the credit card company credited us 4 months charges - they couldn’t go back any further. Then we began getting demanding phone calls and refusing to acknowledge that they had been cancelled. Now they are threatening a law suit in the state of New York for $50??? We thought about just paying the $50 - I mean they’ve already got a years worth, whats $50 more. But, will it stop there? My husband called the state attorney generals office and he was told that since we allowed them to access our credit card account, there is nothing we can legally do??? Can you believe! We have decided to complain to the FCC and file our own law suit here. I would like to put this company out of business

• Ju
      21st of Aug, 2008

We used local net about 3 weeks and found it was not a dsl as advertised so we canceled it and went with another server, but local net has been a nightmare ever since. We tried for over a year to cancel with them. After a year and 4 mos. and many requests, we finally had to cancel our credit card they were using and the credit card company credited us 4 months charges - they couldn’t go back any further. Then we began getting demanding phone calls and refusing to acknowledge that they had been canceled. Now they are threatening a law suit in the state of New York for $50??? We thought about just paying the $50 - I mean they’ve already got a years worth, whats $50 more. But, will it stop there? My husband called the state attorney generals office and he was told that since we allowed them to access our credit card account, there is nothing we can legally do??? Can you believe! We have decided to complain to the FCC and file our own law suit here. I would like to put this company out of business

• We
      2nd of Sep, 2008

i called local net last year after my triple bypass.
    and cancelled over phone they said it was .
    now i recived a letter of demand for payment.
    and whats the decline fee of $3.00 .
    we all need to get togeather and send letters too them s

• Va
      18th of Nov, 2008
    localnet.com

I signed up with this company approximately 3 months ago. I canceled my account after about 2 weeks because I hated the internet service, but they are still taking the money out of my checking account. Today, I called technical support and he was very rude, and didn't help me one bit. He kept saying that it shouldn't be taking out any money. All he did was give me the company address.

I'm getting fed up with these lying, cheating people who have taken money out of my bank account for the last 2 months!!

• Mi
      23rd of Feb, 2009

these unethical people did the same to me, i've been fighting cancer for a year plus now and prior to going into the hospital for my first surgery 6 months back i made multiple efforts to cancel service, email, calls, chat(timed out, leave a message) with no luck. i just get out of the hospital again and guess what, more nasty calls for $37 i don't owe. i finally connected with a real person today for the first time in six months and you know what they told me, its your fault, you didn't cancel according to our procedures, which i did several times, and to top it off melissa said "lots of people get cancer you still owe us $37." at that point i nearly lost it and told them to contact my attorney. i called him after that and would rather pay him hundreds than these ### a dime. localnet sucks, or i should say the people running the business do, they have no souls.

• Ln
      5th of Mar, 2009

I AM A LOCAL-NET CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT, all of you people are a bunch of WWWIIIINNNEEERRRSSSS, why dont you read your service agreement to agree to when service is started? im so sick and tired of goin to work everyday and having to listen to all you redneck ###s, why dont you do some reserch about the ISP you are giving your cerdit card to... O YA AND BY THE WAY, YOU HAVE TO SEND A CANCEL LETTER TO CANCEL YOUR SERVICE, YOU CAN NOT CANCEL OVER THE PHONE GET OVER IT AND SEND THE DAMB LETTER

• El
      27th of Mar, 2009

The last poster is not a service agent. No company would respond in this manner, no matter what. Probably just some drunk.
    Anyway, it states nowhere on their site that they offer DSL. They only have the optional Express accelerator which can speed up your internet experience up to 6X for an additional monthly charge of $3.00.
    If you wish to cancel, send a certified letter through the U.S. mail, signed receipt. It will cost you about $4.00, but you will have a strong piece of ammunition (the receipt of the certified letter, the post office mails back to you after the company sign's it) in which you can enploy in the event that they send you legal notices, or you go after them for not honoring your request.
    As the economy gets farther into a depressed state, companies will try and do anything to keep from losing ground, up to and including destroying the customer. Blacklisting would be the next step.

By the way, I am a new Localnet subscriber, after being burnt for @ $450.00 from a DSL provider- never got it working properly, and only used it for three days. Who needs it?

Shalom,

Elisha

eliasalyasa@localnet.com

7th of Apr, 2009

it does appear no one knows how to read a service agreement before signing up for service anymore!

none of my friends or myself had these problems, especially when canceling... nor were we advised that we could "cancel over the phone" (service agreement again, people)

but hey, what do we know? we're just dumb college students who research before giving billing information via phone, which IS legally binding...

• Pa
      13th of Jun, 2009
    localnet.com

I attempted to cancel my service. This company made it impossible to cancel. I was told to fax my request, which they claim not to have received, but have notes in my file reporting that i tried and that I wanted to cancel. Now I have to keep paying for another two months. This is criminal.

DO NOT sign up with this company, they will make it impossible to cancel the service. It is a total ripoff.

I would NEVER recommend this company.

• Ex
      2nd of Dec, 2009
    localnet.com

Canceling account is like pulling teeth. You must first get through on their phone line and then are told that the only way to cancel their services is via a letter. Which you must snail mail or fax.

I did this two months ago, and since they say they did not receive it, I am still being charged for the service. I have not even used their service for 9 months!

• Jb
      22nd of Jun, 2010

Thanks. I have been VERY unhappy with AT&T lack of communication and customer disservice.

Looking for a new provider and will not go with this one. Thanks for the heads up!

• Ne
      8th of Mar, 2011

"I AM A LOCAL-NET CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT, all of you people are a bunch of WWWIIIINNNEEERRRSSSS, why dont you read your service agreement to agree to when service is started?"

Dude, you can't have it both ways. If the customer service rep is granting cancellations by phone and if that approach is not within the company policy, then the company is at fault and shouldn't be telling the customers that it is ok to cancel that way.

If the rep is granting cancellations in a way that is consistent with the company policy and the cancellations aren't being followed through, the company is again at fault.

The proper way to handle this is for the company to allow cancellation by phone, email, fax, mail, or in person, and to promptly issue a cancellation confirmation number to the customer which can be used as proof that they indeed canceled.

Unfortunately, some companies deliberately choose to operate in the gray area so that they can keep customers enrolled and unfairly bill them after they have canceled.

• Ko
      7th of Apr, 2011

I ordered and set up my Internet service by talking to one of their reps on lion. They were to establish my service and were charging me an up front charge of $25. I told them I didn't have a land line to get this service but the sales rep said no problem they could still establish the service. After getting all my info including my CC# he transferred me to their tech dept to complete my set up. The very first question out of techs mouth was "what kind of land line do you have"? I told him I had just told the sales rep I didn't have a land line and he seemed puzzled and then said "sir wihout a land line there's no way we get set up your service" So end of that. However they had already dinged my credit card for the $25. I started calling local net back and they say the only way I can cancel by talking to "customer service" I have tried over and over for three weeks to get cust. service. When you call they put you on hold for long periods of time to where you finally give up and hand up. Finally after 3 weeks of trying I actually got through to them to cancel my service. Told them what the sales rep had said etc. Said they would give me a full refund. After 3 weeks I got a refund of $10 out of the $25. I protested to CC company finally after two months of arguing with some jerki from New Delhi or whereever the hell those people come from they have agreed to refund the last $15 These people are all crooks. You have to watch everything especially when you give out your credit card numbers or bank account numbers so they can do automatic debits on your account. Unfortunately many companies won't establish service with you unless you allow them to do an automatic debit on a credit card or bank account. Makes it very difficult to do business since many of these people are scam artists

• Mu
      9th of Sep, 2011

It is a slow internet and I dont like it !

• Ko
      14th of Sep, 2011
    Local Net

localnet billed me for 3 months after i quit theyre $9.95 a month service which i had on a month to month basis, they are hard to reach by phone, wont discuss service issues, hung up on me i cant belive a business could be so ### !

• C3
      30th of Oct, 2012

I actually am a LocalNet Customer Service agent and after reading all of these I am amazed that all of you have the brain power to actually get on to the internet, you all are legally ###ed. When you ask for our email address we give you it, it's not our fault you have no clue as to what an email address is. In case you haven't figured it out by now it's not a website, you don't go to it, you put it into the "To" bar. This really couldn't be any simpler. In the amount of time you people spend complaining and screaming on the phone you could have written an essay about canceling. What shocks me the most is how someone can give their credit card information away without knowing what they're buying and then ### about it later. We're not hiding our service agreement either, its on our site and it clearly states on how to cancel, and if you can't read then it's a miracle you have survived this far in life. If you are unsure as to what something is or anything there is always time to ask any question you like. Also PLEASE educate yourselves as to what the difference between an AREA code and a ZIP code is. It truly is amazing you people do not know these basic, common sense things. Along with that please purchase some hooked on phonics or something, you people can barely speak correctly let alone write. And everyone wonders why this country is in the [censored]er, it's because of people like you. Unbelievably dumb people.

• Ph
      21st of Feb, 2013

since local net doesn't send to the home any service agreement there isn't anything to sign and this is not yet a communist country, we will not be bullied into agreeing to thing we are not fully knowledgeable of the In's and outs of these tactics that they use we all need to contact the NY state attorney general office to have done what needs to be done to stop local net from victimizing people