LIRR / horrible service

1 Oyster Bay, NY, United States Review updated:

This is very upsetting - I moved out east to Long Island from Queens NY and my experience riding the LIRR in just a little over month is really disheartening. Every week there are at least 2 incidents of train "derails" or "technical problems" or "frozen tracks" or whatever they come up with next - that delays my commute home from Manhattan after a very long day at work! The cost of transportation is really high - over $250 a month for both my husband and for myself- tgats over $500 not to mention the fact that you still have to pay gor subway transportation if you dont work in Penn station. This is a pretty significant cost - one you would expect is high enough that they can at least provide good, reliable service at least for the majority of the month! It's not just the delay that upsets me but it's the fact that the poor LIRR system is what is keeping me away from my son. It's the difference in seeing him for those 40 mins a day before he goes to sleep vs not seeing for another 24 hours. There has to be some grounds for a lawsuit here- I'm certain I'm not alone - it's just that we all keep quiet an things continue as they are. I'm not keeping quiet.

Comments

• Oy
      5th of Jul, 2012

Agreed. I'm a daily rider of LIRR, specifically the Oyster Bay line.

The morning express train at 9:26 from East Williston makes too many stops. That's not express. The trains are constantly not on time for connections at Jamaica. There's always cars that are too SHORT, forcing crammed passengers. Often collectors don't even take money and check tickets.

What is up LIRR? Get it together! We pay too much for a lackluster service. Period.

• Ro
      14th of Sep, 2018

I completely agree with this statement. as a matter of fact, I am about to submit a complaint right now regarding the LIRR train that I was just on. On top to the train being delayed, the doors did not open at my stop. No announcement was made or heard over the loud speak and the conductor who checked my ticket didn’t even mention that the doors would not be opening. When asking the conductor why an announcement was not made, she mentioned that maybe the PA does not work in the car I was in. I was even more outraged. Why are these old trains still being used if they are not fully functional. had to get off the train 30 minutes from my home on a Friday evening, after a long stressful week. Getting home later than normal to my family and young children. This is horrible and I am so upset I don’t know what else to do but write a complaint. This cannot continue...the MTA needs to do better. Everywhere you turn the service is horrible. The subways are horrible and the LIRR is horrible. I do t know what to do. The stress is too much.