Lingo, Inc. / Fraud and scam

1 7901 Jones Branch Drive, 9th FloorMcLean, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-546-4699

I switched my VOIP service from Lingo to Comcast in May. I attempted to make several phone calls to Lingo to cancel my account, but was never able to speak to a customer service rep. Instead I heard a voice message telling me that Lingo's voicemail box was full before my call was dropped.

At the end of May, I sent an e-mail to Lingo requesting that my account be canceled. This message was returned undeliverable. I got through in September to cancel and requested a credit for the months I had been charged since switching to Comcast. I was refused. I contacted American Express to file a dispute on the charges and was informed by my customer service rep that she had initiated the dispute and charged back $55.33 to Lingo for two of the service months in question. Within 24 hours Lingo sent me a 'Final Notice Prior to Placement with a Collection Service'.

My attempts to resolve this issue with Lingo have been refused. Customer service reps simply cite their policy that cancellations can be made only by phone. When I insisted I had made several attempts, I was informed that my claim was impossible since they have 24/7 customer support. I have requested my phone records from Comcast to support my claim. Even tonight I experienced the same voice message stating that the Lingo mailbox was full before my call was dropped.

Lingo has threatened to refer my case to collections if I don't pay within 10 business days. These charges are unfounded and I am resolved to fight to ensure my good credit rating and bring Lingo's business practices to light.

Va

Comments

• Ki
      17th of Oct, 2008

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your business with Lingo, and hope that you are availing and enjoying all its benefits!

We would like to inform you of updated terms and conditions of your Lingo service. Effective October 23, 2008, customers who cancel their Lingo service within 24 months of the activation date, will be subject to a $99.95 cancellation fee per account. To view Lingo’s Terms & Conditions, please visit Lingo.com and click on the Terms & Conditions link at the bottom of the page.

Should you have any questions about the new term, please contact us at 1-888-LINGO-99.

Sincerely,
    Lingo.com

• Cl
      21st of Jan, 2009

This company has some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Aside from taking a fraud account and sending it to collection they have also never responded to multiple messages left with their fraud department and knowing full well that there was a fraud on the account continued to treat it as a valid account. The incompetence is off the charts. The only people I can get on the phone are in India and incapable of dealing with any non-script issues. I had never heard of the company prior to this fraud and will never deal with them.

• Cl
      21st of Jan, 2009

I need to amend my comments just a little. I finally got someone from the Fraud Department to call me and properly close the fraud account - but it took way too long and too much of my phone time - about 2 hours total plus emails to and from the collection agency. Someone else should comment on their core phone service. So I am at least neutral for now recognizing fraud is rampant on the Internet and they may be overwhelmed with those issues.

• Li
      1st of Mar, 2009

Guys,

I agree with the person above. I have been fighting with the company over the wrong bills.
    1. First company put me in a plan NOT suitable for me, even though I had not applied for this plan. After 3 months of billing, I am still not getting ANY response from them.
    2. LINGO marketing people called us day and night till the time we did not shift to lingo. Now same people disconnect the phone once we tell them who we are.
    3. Four or five times we had complained and we were told that company will revert back. NOBODY called back.
    4. Need suggestion how to proceed

Frustrated Lingo customer

10th of Nov, 2009

I would just like to note on this example of what a mess that selfish scammers put our nation in, by beginning with stealing from innocent people. You work hard for the money they rightfully steal from you because of their large fonted unfulfilled promises, and the fine print that in actuality leaves you on hold with no one on the other end to care for your wasted time and wasted earned cash. I can assure you that although they won now, and think they're getting a way with it, Karma will be sure to do its job on them. I'm sorry to hear of your monetary loss and only hope for the best with the rest of your findings. Let this be a lesson about these filthy scams. I will be sure to rake as many as I can IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF "LINGO". I know this forum sure sent me running for the hills after I almost purchased from them to keep contact with my fiance who's overseas. Pathetic.

4th of Dec, 2009

If you are planning on getting Lingo or if you have had problems with Lingo PLEASE READ!!! Together we can make a difference.

I have signed up for Lingo phone service in October 19th of this year. The plan I signed up for was Lingo World Max which cost 23.95. As the company advertised on their website this plan allows FREE UNLIMITED calls to over 70 countries and FREE UNLIMITED calls all over USA. FREE UNLIMITED is in bold on their website. Company also claimed it will provide 30 days money back guarantee. My 30 days expired on November 19th, 2009. However after the 30 days expired on 11/27/09 they sent me an email saying my accounted has exceeded allowed minutes. I was baffled because I didn't understand how I can exceed my allowed minute on an unlimited plan. So I called them and they told me they will allow 500 minutes maximum of international calls and 5000 overall. I was obviously upset but since I am in contract I didn't cancel. They mentioned nothing about my account being suspended at the time. On 12/1/09 my phone stopped working and I got an email saying they suspended my phone account and asked me to call the number provided. On 12/2/09 I finally got a hold of a customer service rep after being on hold for 1 hour and 8 minutes. I am not exadurating.
    At this point the lady told me my account was blocked due to high usage since I used 4 hours and 16 minutes. You ask yourself is that unlimited? She also told me it will take 24 hours for the service to be turned back on. 24 hours went by and nothing.
    I contacted customer service department again and they told me I need to contact Account Management Group. However everytime I try to contact that department it puts me on hold for about 10/15 minutes and then asks that I call them back during regular business hour. Only issue is everytime I do try to call I do so during business hour. Finally today 12/4/09 I got a hold of someone in that department after being on the phone for about 10/11 hours no lie. They told me at this point I have three choices:
    1. Cancel my account.
    2. Hello USA plan 21 bucks a month however no international calling for free.(They noticed I call call the country Bangladesh a lot. So they said with this plan I will have to pay 5 cent per minute for calls to Bangladesh)
    3. Another similar one.
    Seeing that I had no choice I chose option 2. And they told me my phone will not be back on until 12/9/09. So days without phone.

Here is the reason I didn't cancel...If I cancel my phone number will not be able to be transferred to different career. Now as soon as they activate my phone number again I will switch back to Vonage. And yes I don't care about the 99 bucks they will charge me. I will also cancel my Credit Card. So they can bill me rather than have access to my credit card.

I figured out their business plan...like many of you.

They suck customers in by claiming it's an unlimited plan. Within the 30 days they will give you no problem since customers can cancel during that time frame. Right after the 30 days they will suspend the account. This way you are stuck with their pay per minute plan which is what they want to begin with. Or if customers cancel their plan they will collect $99 cancellation fee and make about $150 off of the customer. Not bad for a month and a half worth of service. What a well thought out scam. I can't believe they are getting away with this in America. I have filed complaint with Better Business Beareu and FCC. If you have had problems with this company please don't think you can't make a difference. File a complaint!!! We as customers can't fight alone but together we can bring this company down. FCC and BBB can ignore two hundred complaints but if EVERY SINGLE customers who has been ripped off by Lingo complained, FCC and BBB WILL take action. I know it will take 30 minutes of your time away. But is that really much compared to the hours you spent on phone trying to solve this issue with Lingo? Save the trouble for thousands of other new customers who will sign up for Lingo. Please.

• Ju
      16th of Dec, 2009

I'm having the same issue. All my calls to India were charged under the Lingo World Max plan, I can never get to their customer service, which is worst. I have filed a complaint with BBB.

• Li
      19th of Dec, 2009

Dear Lingo Corporate Executive,

My total minutes used for over two month by placing call is 1101. My signed up on Lingo to keep in contact with my parents at Bangladesh and my brother at . I only call two numbers and I call when it is day time in Bangladesh because of the time difference I will call at 9 PM EST and in Bangladesh it will be 8 AM. In you advertisement you have mentioned unlimited calls but in your fine print you have hidden the fact that unlimited means 5000 minutes. I have not even used 2000 minutes over two month and today you have unilaterally disconnected my service.

I cannot call back my gravely sick mother. I am crying as I am writing this email as my mother may pass away. I am suffering from serious pain and mental pressure because you have disconnected my line by racially profiling my calls and have disconnected at a moment when somebodies life/death is at stake. It is dicrimmination because of my national origin. I am giving you this written warning before I formally press charge for violating my civil rights.

20th of Dec, 2009

Lingo_Victim. Do it. These mother ###ers are pure scam artist.

• Ka
      20th of Dec, 2009

OMG so many people are having same problem !!! I recently signed up for Lingo world max, and yes I do call Bangladesh very often... trust me guys Lingo ripped me off just like you guys.. cant get hold of customer service, disconnected my phone without any notice, end of the month billed me extras...i am filing complain againt LINGO to BBB..we all need to team up... they are playing some sick tricks... we not gonna let that happen in USA!! please do complain to BBB, they will listen.

• Bd
      21st of Dec, 2009

I have signed up with Lingo on 10/25/2009 and I got two high usage emails from Lingo on last month. I have tried to contact Lingo by email to get a definitive response regarding the high usage since they advertised unlimited calls on their site.

Lingo have disconnected my lines on 12/8/2009 and I have been calling and sending emails ever since then. This is the worst customer service you can imagine and nobody ever answered they account executive/management number that they have given. I have left several voice mails but have not received any call back yet. I was already charged upto 12/24/2009 and the customer service rep cannot do anything about it. I told them that I would dispute any early termination fee if they charage on my credit card.

I am trying to find out how I can file any complaints with FCC and BBB.

Thanks.

• Ms
      21st of Dec, 2009

Those guys are really scammer, They are playing sick game with us . I have filed complain with FTC.

Thanks

25th of Dec, 2009

I have previously posted on here before. Just a reminder to everyone...Please file your complaint with Better Business Beauru and FCC.

31st of Dec, 2009

Lingo is definitely a fraud company. They have ripped me off as well. They are lying to people to sell their service. Besides reporting to the authorites (FTC, FCC, BBB) you should regulary call the new customer sign up number and tell the agents not to sign up more customer to rip them off. We can keep their sales line busy enough to save some 'would be' victims. Let's hit back at Lingo and hit them hard. Our goal is to shut this fraud out.

• Pd
      5th of Jan, 2010

Lingo Never Again. Never never never. I want to cancel my service as we are moving out of the country next week. I have called them atleast 100 times. I am going to my lawyer and get advise on what can I do. luckily I am calling them using my Cell phone so I do have all the records. I would also request the refund for all my cell phone minutes that I wasted in calling them for cancellation. If not they are waiting for a big law suit.

• Co
      5th of Jan, 2010

I have been a Lingo customer since May 23, 2005 (4.5 years since the writing of this post). I have experienced the EXACT SAME set of issues as the original poster, Chris Brown.

In October of 2009 I started calling the 1-888-546-4699 phone number to cancel my service. Every single time (I have called approximately 8 times since October) the cancellation number puts me on hold for 14 minutes, then says "We're sorry, we are not available to take your call. Please call back during normal business hours. Normal business hours are from M-F 8 AM - 8 PM... etc etc." I called every single time during those hours. So, I followed their direction and started calling back during those hours. Weeks after weeks.. trying to cancel. I even sent one of their billing representatives, Grace Eballa, several e-mails regarding the state of my account. (All e-mails asking to cancell my account) Not a single e-mail was replied to by Grace or any other Lingo representative.

Now, I am being stuck with bills from October, November and December. (Finally they got the hint and cancelled my service for lack of payment) Lingo says that since people called me and rang my phone.. I have to pay for the service.

I am now fighting to keep my credit clean since these scammers deliberately refuse to accept your cancellation calls and are threatening to send my info to a collection agency. I am reporting them to the FCC, BBB, FTC. I have all my phone calls logged and all my e-mails to their billing department saved as well.

Please be aware of Lingo and their dreadful business practices. There are many other VoIP services out there. Steer clear of Lingo and Primus.

• Hv
      5th of Jan, 2010

I am also in the same situation. The cancelled my service after 2 months, but keep charging my credit card every month. I transferred the service to vonage. But I am not able to cancel lingo. No body picking up the phone in the customer service. I filed a complaint with FTC and BBB

• Sh
      12th of Jan, 2010

I am also in the same situation. I have been Lingo user for more than 5 years, since 2003. Yesterday they suspended my phone service for high volume call on my calls to India with my phone plan "Unlimited - Max World Plan" with no prior notification.

It 's now more than 24hours I dont have phone service at my home. My trust on Lingo is shattered.

Since is a unfair business practice will be filling case with BBB and FTC.

• Mc
      24th of Jan, 2010

To complain Lingo World Max Unlimited Plan fraud and scam to FCC. Please do not be emotional.

Be crisp.

1. What happens when calling their toll free #, pressing option 7.
    2. How their advertisement and fair usage policy fraud and scam they are able to run in on residential customer and how they are able to get away with it.
    3. They send automated email to contact the toll free # and when you call them, what happens.
    4. Their rude behavior.
    5. Blocking you from making International calls, and charge you for the Lingo World Max plan.

That is it. FCC will contact them and as well you. They will get busted.

• Ak
      6th of Feb, 2010

To cancel your service, don't use option 6. Call customer service and ask them to get you the cancellation person or supervisor or higher up. They certainly don't let you cancel the service, since they make million of dollars of free money. The company is involved in deceptive and fraudulent practice. Please complain FTC and BBB.