Lincare / insurance billing

1 Indianapolis, IN, United States Review updated:

I, too, have had a problem with Lincare. I received my CPAP machine in November, I was told I had to make 10 monthly payments, however I declined and paid all the "payments " in full during the time of delivery of the machine. I think all is well until April rolls around and they tell me I owe them 85 dollars a month since January because it is billed to the insurance companies monthly and my deductible started over and insurance was not paying. I called the billing office many times with my concern. I was told it is "the policy holders responsibility" to know their insurance coverage. I called my insurance company in November to make sure my machine was covered and it was. My problem is not with the lack of coverage, my problem is with the way it was billed to the insurance companies and I was never informed of the way it was billed, how is that my responsibility? Now I am getting phone calls telling me my balance is getting bigger and I need to pay. I paid 50 dollars last month and 20 dollars this month, that is all I can afford. I paid my portion in full when I actually had the money which is why I did it the way I did. I know this can not be the first time this has happened to someone and I got no compassion what so ever from the billing rep. I can't be the first person and I know I won't be the last so why is it not explained better on how it is billed (not the coverage itself) at the time when they can clearly see I paid my portion up front and it was nearing the end of the year. It is easy " your insurance covers 80% and it is billed monthly until paid in full" That simple sentence would have at least alerted me to ask questions. I know there is nothing I can do about it now, but I want to make people aware how this works.

Cr
Jun 17, 2013

Comments

• Re
      1st of Jul, 2013

I started with a bi-pap machine Oct.25, 2012 and have had nothing but nightmares with this company. They brought my machine and basically forgot about me till it was time to make money off of supplies. Here it is July 1, 2012 and again I am on the phone with the billing department. I have been lied to, received lousy customer service, they lost paperwork. They made an appointment to bring out new mask after months of me complaining and never showed up for appointment. They overdrew my checking account due to auto withdraw of too many months at one time. When you complain to Fort Wayne IN office they will promise you things and never follow through. I dealt with medical supply companies during my late husband's battle with cancer. I can state for a fact this is the lousiest company . I even asked them how they stay in business. I tried to send everything back and dump them and they told me I couldn't without signing paperwork against doctors orders-like I am being held captive. I did not choose this company. They were given to me.
    Please for everyones sake run as far away from Lincare as you can. They need to be put out of business.

• Th
      28th of Jul, 2013

Am so sorry to hear of your woes...as a soon to be former employee, here's a possible tip: when it comes to being on the bipap, it may be that your doc does not want you off it, and may not sign off on the discharge order. So, with that said, you as the patient can do one of 2 things: go to another company and get a bipap from them, and let Lincare AND your doctor know that is what you are doing. (while letting your doctor know, tell him/her why - that you feel the service you're getting is lousy, etc. If you haven't done so already, get your MD in your corner - that way, you are letting him/her know you are trying to follow dr's orders, but on the Lincare end of things, it's not going well, etc.) OR, the second thing you can do, is to tell Lincare point blank to come get the equipment, and you will gladly sign an AMA paper ('against medical advice'/release of liability - just something that says you will not hold Lincare responsible for the ill effects of not staying on your bi-pap.). With all that said, please be aware of 1 thing I know all too well to be true: it's still going to be something of an uphill struggle to get them to come get the machine, because Lincare is ssssssssssssssooooooooooooo concerned about their 'numbers': it counts against the particular office that is servicing you, regardless of the reason why they have to pick up equipment. And yes, I'm here to tell you that even includes if/when a patient dies. It's like Corporate holds it against everybody if/when a patient has the unmitigated gall to actually pass away.

• Th
      28th of Jul, 2013

As an about to be former employee, I can suggest a couple of options if you have not done so already
    1. Get with your MD, as he/she most likely prefers you stay on your bi-pap, and get thee to another company, and let Lincare know you are doing so, and to once and for all come get the equipment.
    2. Be willing to sign an AMA (against medical advice order) and tell them to come pick it up.
    Either way, get your doctor in your corner. And an ugly little secret is this: Lincare generally counts it against the service center if/when they have to come pick up equipment. And yes, that does include even when the patient has the unmitigated gall to pass away. I've seen offices NOT go pick up equipment for MONTHS after a patient passed away, so Lincare won't count it against that center. It's disgusting, really, because I've heard them say, " I didn't know he was dead". That's a crock, because somewhere along the line, if that center is doing it's job, they'll be trying to reach that person to do maintenance on equipment, or to at least check in and see how the person is doing...I know there is no need to call a patient literally every single day, but...once every so often is mandatory.