Lenovo / fraud and scam

I ordered a new Lenovo notebook, but instead of shipping the correct T400 model Lenovo is shipping a completely different configuration that I did not order and demanding 15% restocking fee to change it.

I agree that 15% restocking would be fine if it would be a consumer error, but this was clearly a mistake on both parts. I emailed myself a shopping cart from Lenovo hoping that I will be able to simply click and buy the computer, however, when I opened the email I only saw the components and NO actual link to buy it. I had to reconfigure everything again on the site and press "Buy". I had a very limited amount but I think I triple checked before submitting the order and everything looked fine.

As soon as I figured out that there is a problem with order I tried to get in touch with Lenovo. I suggested that I simply buy a correct laptop and return this one without opening it, but Lenovo Employee resisted. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after speaking with Paul K. (Lenovo Employee ID: YQ7) I was informed that they can lower the restocking fee to 10%, but this is all they can do.

I am not sure if this is a standard Lenovo Policy to screw the consumer, or this is just one incident, but I think I will simply return it now for 10% restocking fee and buy Dell Latitude E 6400. I think 10% restocking fee is a standard number, so if you ever have a problem with the company you can ask for that too.

I was checking T400 vs E6400 for a long time and after some evaluation and past experience with IBM T Series decided to go with Lenovo, but I think with such a terrible consumer and customer relations I have to re-think my choice.

Some technical information for people that are trying to evaluate the system:

I ordered SYS.7417CT (7417CT) CONFIGURED SYSTEM, but the reason I was getting a laptop was to connect it to 30 inch monitor (so I had to have a discrete graphics option and dock). I re-checked everything online today and the one that I had to have was SYS.2764CTO (2764CTO).

I did mention Paul that the story will be posted on all consumer sites and he was OK with this. Please comment on your issues with Lenovo and this particular model of the notebook.

Va

Comments

30th of Nov, 2009

Lenovo/IBM has changed since it went to Chinese hands. I received an email with a promotional offer, and clicked to purchase it, and was hit with the classic "bait-and-switch" scam from Lenovo. The offer was not found, but other more expensive options were listed. When I called, I was told the offer was "sold out" even though I clicked the minute I received the email, and called within the same minute. And then the customer service rep hung up on me. Enough siad, I will never do business with Lenovo again.

• Ni
      24th of Dec, 2009

I completely agree!!! We bought 2 computers from them and the same night not only did we go online and register them, but we filled out the rebate forms and mailed them the next morning. (The rebates were 50 back on each computer). It said it would take 8-10 weeks and after not receiving our rebates we called and the customer service rep said, "I'm sorry we never received your paperwork and we can't honor it now because it has expired." What happened to the customer is always right? I will never buy anything from them again and will discourage others from doing so as well!!!

• Do
      30th of Dec, 2009

Same exact thing happend to me!

I've ordered and paid for a
    ThinkPad T500 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9600 ( 2.80GHz 1066MHz 6MB )and 320GB 7200.

Instead I received a
    T500 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 ( 2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MB ) and 250GB 5400.

To return it they wanted to charge me 15% restocking fee