LegalZoom/Registered Agent

Unauthorized Charges to My Account

3.6
Legal Zoom Inc
Charlotte, North Carolina
Registered Agent "service" scam. Legal Zoom has made an unauthorized charge to my bank account for $159. This is how the scam works: they sell you a service for which you agree to pay a stated price. You authorize Legal Zoom to debit your bank account for installments to cover the service you are purchasing. They do not offer you the option to just pay it out up front or if they do it is not readily noticeable. To complete your order you accept the terms & conditions by checking a box. You assume that the terms and conditions relate only to the service for which you have agreed to purchase but that is not the case. Mentioned somewhere in lengthy terms is an entirely separate service to act as the Registered Agent for the company you have formed. This service is $159 and is not included in the amount you agreed to. They wait until you have received your articles of incorporation at that time you will have made to installments on your agreement. They send an email notification reminding you when your upcoming installment payments are about to post to your account. They conveniently NEVER mention the $159 extra service fee for the registered agent service because then you may question and cancel it. You never receive an email about the impending charge. They simply debit your account for the full amount and wait for you to call to hear that it was not included and that when you accepted the terms and conditions you authorized payment for the service. The first person to take my call even said "we get a lot of these calls." It gets better: when you learn that all this service is for is "filtering" your junk mail they charge $49 to remove themselves as your registered agent. I was able to change my registered agent to myself with my state for $5 bucks. I am told that when they receive confirmation of my change they will prorate my "subscription" which in the end allows them to get at least 2 months ($26.50) payment for a so called service out of you that you would never have purchased otherwise add the $5.00 to make the change yourself (and that's only if I can get the proof before they bill again) and you have paid another $30.00 on top of what you agreed. I could have just paid a local attorney to draw up my papers for that less than that amount ($414.00). To stop unauthorized debits your bank will need to cancel your card altogether.
Complaint comments Comments (33)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Lawyers and Attorneys

Comments

A  11th of Nov, 2017 by    0 Votes
Scam scam scam. Registered an llc with legal zoom and was charged the $159 for registered agent, fine. The next year called to cancel and was informed they couldn't cancel because I was not on the account (its a 50/50 llc) and they are charging MY card yet Im no where on the account. So my partner called and was informed they wont cancel unless the llc is dissolved. Bunch of crap. I just canceled the bank card and this year their auto withdrawal was rejected and then they tried sending some email about collections. Good luck. I have documentation of calls to cancel and the agents we spoke with as well as my bank calling them to try and resolve/ cancel.
A  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
Unbelievable.

Sent me a collection letter for $249.07 for the Registered Agebt service which was cancelled. Never once received an email, telephone call or physical letter in advance on collection letter.

Legal Zoom rep told me the girl didn’t process my cancellation properly. She only cancelled the AutoPay but not the Registed Agent Service.

I have perfect credit which potentially will be compromised because of Legal Zoom’s inadequate training and service.

Collection company will not rescind collection letter until Legal Zoom authorizes it.

I’ve referred several friends to Legal Zoom over the years.

And this is how I’m treated.
D  28th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Sad to see this is still going on. Same thing has happened to me, called and they will not remove them self. I need to contact state and make the change. meanwhile I have had zero contact but a heat email because my CC on file has expired. TOTAL SCAM
A  5th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
For several years I have been getting repeated charges for registered agent services. When I contacted legalzoom they said I needed to file for a change in status with my state. I did the appropriate paperwork with my state who rejected the change because the address of have for legal zoom is not the one on file with the state. They refuse to refund the charges which were $159 a year and now have suddenly jumped to $499. I have cancelled and changed the credit card numbers with my bank and still they manage to charge my credit cards. How is this legal? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH LEGALZOOM
A  22nd of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
Their registered agent is a scam. I had them assist with my LLC and they had informed me that I needed to have this registered agent.
I had made several attempts to cancel and they want to charge me to do that. After speaking with the Attorney Generals office I have found that A company is NOT required to have a registered agent in Pennsylvania if the company is located in Pennsylvania! After I attempted to cancel the last time they still billed an outdated credit card. After moving on legal action against the credit card company for accepting an UN-approved charge on a card that is no longer valid, I have now just received a threatening letter from Legal zoom demanding their money for this service that is NOT required by the state that my company is located. This is now becoming harassing!!! I am not and will not give Legal zoom another dollar even if it is for them to cancel a NON required service to have an established business! Not only that but I paid $500 for an LLC through LZ just to find that I could of went to the local courthouse and established my own LLC for less than $100. THIEVES!!
A  20th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same thing here, did it to me last year and just now did it again. Used legalzoom 4 times and now no more, company became a shady business .
A  24th of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
Exact thing happened to me. Legalzoom charged me again without informing me. Earlier I called and canceled the services. Now I realize they have been charging me every year. This year they charged $399. This is really looking like a fraudulent behavior.
N  4th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same here set up a useless LLC in the state of IL for the practice of dentistry which is one of the professions a LLC is not allowed in the state. I didn't find out I had wasted $750.00 until I tried to registered my business with the IL Dept of Finance and Profession services. The lawyers (if there are any) at Legal Zoom should have caught this. The state dissolved the corporation due to lack of annual report in Oct of 2016.. I have a certificate sent from Legal Zoom who received the cerficate from the state. I did not nothing because I never performed any business with the LLC anyway. Yet this year 2017 I was charged a $249.00 fee for registered agent for a dissolved corporation. The rep on the phone in turn stated that I had to dissolve it voluntary not the administrative dissolution by the state. ??????? The agent then stated it could be reinstated so its not officially dissolved. Un F-in believable.
N  13th of Mar, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Having same issue. Never did business, I folded the company i tried to form and LegalZoom would NOT let me cancel their service!!! I informed them that no business was conducted and i would like to cancel. Years later I am STILL being charged the $159 a year?!?!!? I called and they told me nothing they can do. I now have to cancel ALL my banking and change my CC, this SHOULD NOT BE LEGAL! It has really put me in a bind and from what customer service says at LegalZoom "There is nothing you can do about it".
A  28th of Sep, 2016 by    +1 Votes
I too, feel swindled and will not use their service moving forward. My order confirmation e-mail has Total Charges: $493.94 in 2 months my bank statement has racked up $902.94 in charges. I called in was given the spiel you have all gotten, they can enjoy the $400 extra they got me, the business practice has left a bad taste in my method.

A  3rd of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
I have been paying the stupid registered agent 12.99 fee for 4 years now. I am busy and it took me til last fall to call and cancel this service that is WORTHLESS, and the person helping me said they removed that service for me. Guess what, I am still paying it to this day. Not only that, my llc is not current with the Secretary of State because I missed multiple filing deadlines of which I was never notified by legal zoom, and for some reason I thought that's what this service provided? I was completely unaware of my status until a lender checked into it for me. There is no where on the website to cancel this service and I don't have the time to spend 2 hrs on a phone call again. Yes, I sound like an dumbdumb for still paying it, I am just lazy I suppose. You're welcome, legal zoom.
N  31st of Aug, 2015 by    -1 Votes
Hi Kim, It is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Please be advised the LegalZoom agent service if offered online as an optional service to all business entities. We provide the option of choosing LegalZoom as your agent or the selection of another person and/or company including yourself if desired. We inform all customers of the service fees in 3 sections on our website including the pricing page, the questionnaire and the itemized breakdown of charges provided prior to payment. Each of these sections outline the agent service is not charged until the business entity has been confirmed as legally filed with the state; this is because the service does not begin until the entity has been formed & we do not want to charge our customers for services that have not yet begun. Also the installment payment option was designed to help customers who need it but there is always an option to pay all processing & filing payments in one lump sum. We are very sorry for any confusion and we are happy to help you cancel the agent service. Please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
N  31st of Aug, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I reported fraud to my bank and had my bank card canceled but LegalZoom was still able to debit $159 from my account! I set up my LLC 3 years ago and never did anything with it so I don't want to pay the CA annual fee of $800 in order to dissolve it. Most people just ignore this but I am stuck with Legalzoom because of this Registered Agent fee. Has anyone able to successfully get rid of this? Do I have to change my bank account since reporting fraud to my debit card was not enough.
A  1st of May, 2015 by    +1 Votes
They warned me about my second installment payment plan by email and then hit me with an additional $159 without any notice! No warnings what so ever! I am a reasonable person and this is a very shady move. Legal zoom is a rip off. I called them today and they told me that I didn't read the "fine print" in the agreement. I hope you read this fine print Legal Zoom, you will never get another dime out of me. . Crooks!!
A  17th of Mar, 2015 by    +1 Votes
The EXACT same thing happened to me!

Hidden charges, completely opaque processes, lack of any real help from anyone at LegalZoom. I actually found out about LegalZoom's 'awesome' $159 fee this morning, when my bank account called to tell me my account has been overdrawn, and my subsequent auto-pay bills (that would've been paid just fine... if there were still $159 in that particular account) caused a series of overdraft fees.

Unfortunately for all of us, LegalZoom is a law service... so they've got lots of legal help. They seem pretty adamant about continuing to charge me, and the only way out of it, for me, was to report fraud charges to my bank and cancel my bank cards.

0 out of 10, would definitely not recommend LegalZoom, unless you have a bunch of money you don't really want.
N  29th of Aug, 2014 by    -1 Votes
Hi Tom,

Please contact us at Chyna@lzserve.com so we can looking into the charges and resolve this issue for you.

LegalZoom
A  29th of Aug, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I had the same experience with Legal Zoom now in attempting to understand this "Registered Agent" charge.

Customer service agents are incredibly condescending and rude.
Demanding to speak with a manager in my next call and have this charge reversed.

If LegalZoom customer service is reading this please send me your contact information.
Tom
N  25th of Jun, 2014 by    -1 Votes
Hi Nicave, I am very sorry to hear that you didn't have great experience and would like to hear more about your situation. Feel free to contact me directly at Chyna@lzserve.com.
A  24th of Jun, 2014 by    +2 Votes
Legal Zoom IS SUCH A SCAM.
Got the run around on the phone with "Service Agents".
They're condescending and specifically try to confuse you.
I called about a year and a half ago to get all services cancelled. They said they would, but they happened to leave out this "service". Worst part is that they do it knowingly.
BEWARE OF LEGALZOOM at all cost!
I recommend paying up and using real lawyers.
N  30th of May, 2014 by    -1 Votes
Hi Kathie1,
It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please contact me directly at Chyna@lzserve.com and I can try to help make things right.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree