Legacy LD INTL / Ridiculously charged from Legacy LD INTL!

On [protected] i received a collect call from my wife that she had locked herself out, her purse, and the keys are in the car, i accepted the call at that time nobody advised me of the cost of the call. On 10-1-06 i received at&t's bill which includes (legacy ld intl, inc) bill, they had charged me $36,76 for the minute that i talked to my wife. I called them [protected]) and asked, what was this charge for, he told me that it was for the collect call that i received on8-19-06 from a payphone, i got upset and said, for one call, yes he said and that was their rate, i said (you guys are thieves and steeling from us with these kind of charges) then we hung up.

Please if you can help or give me some kind of resolution for this matter smb. Show all the consumers to know about this company.

samuel.

An

Comments

• Li
      5th of Dec, 2006

The same thing happened to me -
    I got charged $31.09 for a five minute collect call from my boyfriend at a pay phone from Legacy LD INTL. These guys are definitely thieves and need to be shut down!

• Gr
      23rd of May, 2007

We got taken too by Legacy LD INTL! Two 5 min calls from our son in Tx to us in Ar. = $55.64!

How do these people stay in business?

We no longer accept collect calls from anyone!

• St
      30th of May, 2007

I couldn't believe the charges that were on my Check Card the next day. I was at the airport (JFK and Laguardia) trying to reach my family who needed to know I missed my flight. The pay phone showed that it chrged $1 for 5 minutes. OK, no problem. I used my card and it charged me $11+ and I didn't even reach my family. I did leave messages, but I was on the phone for a total of 30 seconds. I called all 3 of my kids and my wife a couple times to reach one of them. It charged me over $80 total. I then called my father, whom I reached, it charged me over $12 for the 5 minutes. I'm really mad, too, because this was my check Card and it made me get overdrawn, with charges. I haven't called the company, they will probably charge me to talk to them. Get rid of the gougers!!!

• Ca
      20th of Jul, 2007

The same thing happened to me I made a less than 30 minute call using my check card across the state and was charged $57.74. They are thieves!

• Ta
      5th of Aug, 2007

The same thing happened to me and I am FIGHTING it!! You should, too, we need to bring this company down! I made a total of six calls, all under 2 minutes, to Canada from the Newark International Airport while my connecting flight was delayed for 29 hours. I used my credit card because I had no American cash and Legacy charged me $68.88 for what should have be 6 $1.50 calls. NO WHERE was it posted that long distance rates differed if a credit card was used.

I am filing complaints with the Federal Communications Commission and the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, and filing a report with my credit card company instructing them NOT TO PAY Legacy and to fight the charges. These are extortionate rates and they should not be able to charge an uninformed consumer such fees; it's robbery.

• Ke
      10th of Aug, 2007

Yeah I got charged $32.55 each for two different 5 min calls within the same county and $13.30 for another 5 min call within the same county (Los Angeles county to Los angelese county). The 1st two average approximately $6.51 a min and the last one approximately $2.66 a min all for a los angelese county to los angeles county collect call. What can I do but pay, but I intend to file a complaint with the state attorney general, the FCC and the public utilities commission. How the government allows this company to stay in business is beyond me.

15th of Aug, 2007

I agree. Made the mistake of using a payphone at Miami airport. Again, no listing of rates and impossible to get an operator on the phone. I got through to an answering machine and hung up. My credit card got charged $8.50 for that 30 second call. The company (1800 670 0015) was unapologetic. They did say that charges could be disputed by sending: a copy of the charge, a covernote with attention to the billing department, and a description of the incident to either fax 1800 700 1116 or address: 10833 Valleyview St., Suite 150, Cypress, CA 90630. I'm pretty confident it'll do no good however.

Another company to be wary of is VZ (also works with payphones at airports, etc). This is a branch of ILD Telecommunications which is part of Verizon Select, according to the customer service rep I talked to. This company charged me $9.02 for a 2 minute call ($25.46 for a 16min call) and said this included a rate of 1.05/min plus a 4.99 charge for using the automated system (she couldn't tell me exactly what this meant) and $.95 to 2.67 for federal taxes. Interestingly, the cust service rep continued to say that the owner of the payphone was responsible for setting these rates and that she was unable to tell me what part of that charge went to VZ as profit.

Apparently pay phone owners can set their rates and are not required to disclose fees which seems to be a big hole in federal regulation. I think filing reports with the FCC is a great idea.

• Mi
      24th of Aug, 2007

I have been charged almost $4.oo a minute for a collect call when my wife forgot her cell phone. I called them and they assured me that the rate was correct. I asked them if they had a monopoly on the pay phones in the area and their response was, "Yeah, we pretty much run them all"! I told him that going through the trouble of smoke signals would be worth more to me than paying them a dime. I've noticed nothing but complaints against them since I've started doing research on this company. Someone needs to stop them.

• To
      6th of Sep, 2007

I accepted an emergency collect call from my son at 9:01PM July 26, 2007. An operator announced the call and asked if I would accept the charges, I said "yes". I just looked at my bill and found I had been charged $71.00 by these shysters and an additional $11.00+ in taxes. Perhaps they haven't been shut-down because of the lucrative tax revenue they are generating for our government.

The call originated in California to my location in Nevada. I am going to write complaint letters to ATT, the PUC, CPUC, NPUC (if there is such a thing) as well as to the Attorney General's of both states, the BBB and every consumer advocate I can find. These crooks need to be regulated. I expected an operator connect fee and reasonable long distance rates. $71.00 for a collect call from 500 miles away is NOT REASONABLE.

11th of Oct, 2007

Well, it seems like I'm not the only one, but I was wondering if anyone knows what to do besides mailing letters, I mean has anyone gotten anything done someway or another, I made two phone calls from my college to my mother asking her to pick me up, we were in the same area code, my call was 10 seconds, "hey mom , can you pick me up" and I hung up, she took a while so I called again just to make sure, and that one was 15 seconds. We just received a bill from at&t with a charge of 20 dollars for 5 minutes. For twenty dollars I could have called a cab.

• Fr
      10th of Nov, 2007

I've just been screwed by Legacy International since the government can regulate everything else in our, lives they should be able to hold this type of scam in check.

• Rm
      24th of Nov, 2007

I strongly agree. I just got screwed out of $12.00 for a 3 minute call - in the same area code. Big time scammers!

• Gi
      3rd of Dec, 2007

I worried about all the credit card numbers that Legacy LD is in possesssion of now? Could someone tell us about the risks of a possible illegal use of them? Sucker n° 65482123.

• Ka
      6th of Jan, 2008

In August 07 I was charged $ 70.54 for collect calls on my AT&T phone bill from ZPDI, Legacy LD Intl, Inc. and again in Sept. 07 charged another $70.35 each time for 2 collect calls on each bill that I did not accept first of all I called back the one number and spoke to the party with one of the four phone numbers in question, she didnt know me or my number and I didnt know her, she said they never make collect calls, the other numbers that were from August 07 I called those numbers and its a FAX LINE, well how could I have accepted a FAX line collect??? I have read the other complaints and I agree with them all, This rip off company is making big money on our phone bills. How can I get a refund of $ 140.00 that are not my charges????????? please advise asap I AM REALLY MAD !!!!!!!!!!!! WE GET RIPPED OFF ENOUGH IN THIS WORLD I AM TIRED OF IT. Karen in San Antonio, TX. thanks for listening and please reply soon .

• Ke
      23rd of Feb, 2008

I am SO angry. I made a less than five minute call from about two miles from my home in an emergency situation and the chage was over $25!!!!
    I called and the person on the phone was SO rude and simply said "the charge will appear on your bill until you pay it." When I asked for a supervisor, she just put me on his voice mail. I, too, am filing a complaint. I don't mind paying for the call. I don't mind paying more than a regular call. I DO mind being ripped off.

• Ju
      4th of Mar, 2008

February 2008 - They are still at it.
    A California friend's cell phone went out on a call to me in December, and he went to a nearby payphone to explain. Had to call collect, because the service wouldn't accept his calling cards. I agreed to accept.

When the bill came in, with my AT&T bill, it was $36 for 5 min.
    I paid it, although I thought it was outrageous. My friend reimbursed me, and we agreed never to call collect again.
    In February, my bill showed a 33 min. call from the SAME pay phone #, to the tune of $67. That call was never made nor received, and I know this because I was not at home that day. A close friend had died. And who would call from a cell phone for 33 minutes? I called to protest, and after a 30 minute runaround, was told that I would not have been billed if someone at my home (NO ONE HOME!) had not accepted the call in my name. (IT DID NOT HAPPEN.) He argued with me and then said if I didn't pay the charge in 60 days, they would cut off my service. I said, "Just you try." I have contacted AT&T with all information. I will follow with a letter & other documentation. This outfit is crooked. I believe they just duplicated the information from the first call and ran up the charges. Who can do something about these crooks?

• Ju
      4th of Mar, 2008

On my last comment, I meant "who would call from a PAY phone for 33 minutes?" Sorry.

• L
      12th of Mar, 2008

03/12/2008
    I have charges of $17.00 for a 5 minute call (=$3.40/minute) on my ATT bill.

Yes, I did make the call. I called from a payphone using the "0=Operator" and asked for the call to be billed to my home phone. The payphone was 2-3 miles from my home.

Of course I am shocked by the billed amount.

I called the number listed [Questions? 1 888 507-0734 which was for Zero Plus Dialing]. Their automated system transfered me to 1 800 553-4218 which I found on my phone bill listed: Billed on Behalf of LEGACY LD INTL, INC.

Upon calling LEGACY LD INTL, INC, their automated system transfered me to a employee (I do not think he deserves to be called a "man") named Brandon. I questioned the amount billed, why $17 for 5 minutes? He stated that it was for a call which I authorized. I told him I agreed that I asked for the call to be billed to my home phone, and that I wanted to know why the charge was so high. He told me that is the charge period. I stated that $3.40 per minute was extremely high. I asked why they would charge so much. He stated that he does not have to tell me why. Upon further questioning, he told me that since I do not own the company, then I do not have any right to know why they charge what they do (I am putting this is polite terms, which is not the verbage that he used). I then asked if he owned the company and was told that was not my business. I asked for his supervisor, and he said that he was the supv of the department. I asked for the supv of the dept above his, and he told me to call back and that I would get transferred to him again and we can do this all over again and he can tell me the same thing. I told him I thought he was unprofessional and rude. Basically, he didn't care. He continued to tell me that since I am not the owner, then I have no need to know anything other than to pay the bill.

I hung up and called Zero Plus Dialing back, this time not entering my phone # so that I would get a person instead of being transferred. When I finally got someone, she kept trying to transfer me, stating that they only handle the billing for Legacy. I explained the situation again, and she told me to hold on. I soon realized that she was transferring me to Legacy again, but I thought she was on the line, as options were being entered (not by me) into the automated system. When someone finally answered, I waited for the Zero Plus Dialing rep to speak, and then realized that she had ditched me!

I told the rep I wanted to file a complaint against the supv Brandon that I had spoken to. She transferred me to someone who sounded just like Brandon, but gave a different name. I was not asked any particulars about my complaint, and was not offered any help in resolving my problem. I was given a FAX number (800-700-1116) to send my complaint to. I asked who that would be going to and was told the Billing Department. I asked for a name to address it to and was given the name Luis Garcia. I was told that he was the Supv. of Billing. Needless to say, I really didn't think he was being very sincere.

I intend to file a complaint with ATT as well and dispute the charges. I will post later with the outcome.

If anyone else has had problems with them, or has info on what agencies to contact, please post.

Thanks!

16th of Apr, 2008

I just received my AT&T bill and I had a $44 dollar charge for a collect call my boyfriend made to me. I specifically remember the call, the date and the time and the call lasted no more than 2 minutes. My bill stated the call was for 41 minutes (which is only 39 minutes wrong!). I called Legacy first and I got the same thing..a rude jerk! I asked how I file a dispute and he said there are no disputes and before I could even say anything else, he said, "and don't ask to speak to anyone because there is no one else for you to speak to!". He said you talked for 41 minutes and you will be billed for it! I told him then I guess your telling me that I'm crazy and I don't know the difference between 2 minutes and 41! I just hung up, called AT & T and they removed it off my bill, that they were going to kick it back to Legacy, but told me that Legacy will probably send a separate bill. I wish I had more answers, I am going to use the fax number someone posted above and file a complaint with Legacy but this is just nuts!

• Ms
      17th of Apr, 2008

Attorney looking for unauthorized or improper telephone billing against Zero Plus, Legacy Lond Distance or Firstcharge Financial- Attorney looking for Class Action participants for claims for unauthorized or improper billing, including charges for time that exceeded actual usage. Please reply to LEGACYCLASSACTION@YAHOO.com