Legacy Inmate Communications / Prices for services

1 10833 Valley View Street Suite 150, Cypress Californiac, United States
Phone: (877) 553-4440

On 11/11/16, I placed a phone call using a pay phone at Cedar Grove Visitor’s Center in King’s Canyon National Park, California. The pay phone merchant was Legacy Collect Calls.
My call was about one minute in duration. The only published rates on the physical pay phone were for calls using coins ( $1.00 per minute). No published rates for credit card option were on the physical pay phone. To place a call, I dialed *22 on the payphone. The choices I heard were as follows:
• option 1 for collect calls
• option 2 for credit card calls

I picked option 2 to use my credit card. At this point, there still was no rate information, but I went ahead and placed my call.
On 11/14, my credit card statement listed a $21.58 charge to my credit card from Legacy Collect Calls. On 11/15, I called Legacy to dispute the charge. I said their credit card rates were not published. The customer service agent said the rates are published as an option 3 choice. I was surprise to learn their rates are $24.08 for the first minute. From a customer’s viewpoint, the rates should be published within the option 1 or option 2 choices. Better yet, the rates should be published on the physical phone itself. Had I known up front that credit card rate was for $24.08 for the first minute, I would not have used their service. The customer service agent gave me back $8.63 for my troubles. In the end, my one minute call was still at a high price of $12.95.
Be up front about your rates. Physically publish your credit card phone rates on the pay phones and/or published within the option 1 or option 2 phone tree choices.

Ro