KitchenAid / kitchen a. i. d. (appliance is defective)

We purchased a new house in 2004 that was outfitted with brand new Kitchen Aid appliances. Fortunately, we purchased the extended warrantee for all. We have had nothing but problems with ALL of the appliances--electric cooktop, overhead microwave, dishwasher and the dreaded side by side re-defrigerator/re-defreezer which is the chief cause of this complaint. The cooktop and the microwave have both required parts not covered under warrantee more than once. The dishwasher was non-operational from the start and had to be replaced after some wrangling with the service provider. The side by side fridge freezer takes the prize, though, for worst appliance. Little did we know that it's stainless steel exterior with Kitchen Aid tag was covering a relic from the Soviet Union. The ice maker has never worked properly. Over the course of our 5 year extended warrantee, we had a service rep out multiple times with multiple "fixes", and even after the whole ice maker was replaced with a new unit, it failed to work properly. The temperature in the fridge is not moderated properly and can freeze with no manual change to the temperature setting. Now, we are faced with paying for a new compressor. No doubt, this component was engineered to last just over 5 years. If so, then it would be the only properly engineered part of the appliance. Kitchen Aid/Whirlpool, shame on you. This is not your parent's trusted appliance maker.

Comments

25th of Aug, 2009

Remodeled kitchen around Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator. So badly designed that icemaker can never be operational. It freezes up from warm air warming and freezing water. Dumb icemaker is in the door rather inside the freezer a protected area of the freezer. Going to report this defective piece of junk to federal consumer complaint agency - hopefully many will and we can get response. This was a $5, 300 mistake!

J. Oakes
    Arcadia, Ca.

• Si
      11th of Nov, 2009

We also purchased a side-by side built in kitchen aid refrigerator approximately four years ago and the unit requires repair every three to four months. The freezer unit freezes and prevents flow of cold air to the refrigerator unit. We just had our eleventh service call this week and a number of parts have been replaced by the A&E service which comes to service in NY. Luckily we purchased extended warranty for the unit. KitchenAid customer service refuses to replace the unit. Any suggestion on which government agency I can complain to?

sinarny@gmail.com

2nd of Dec, 2009

My complaint is with my range hood, the plastic piece that holds the motor to the frame is unavailable for purchase. It isn't even on the schematic as a part. In order to replace this small piece I have to purchase a whole new motor at 400.00. I will never purchase another whirlpool/kitchenaid product. Currently all my appliances are either whirlpool or kitchenaid. I would not be so upset except that when I called the coorporate offices they told me "sorry that's just the way it is."